For friends of the NYC dining scene: now this!

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

For friends of the NYC dining scene: now this!

Post by Roy Hersh »

http://ny.eater.com/2015/11/23/9788774/ ... s-rule-nyc - An article of how NY's SLA may blow up some of the best wine lists in the city's top restaurants.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: For friends of the NYC dining scene: now this!

Post by Glenn E. »

That's pretty bizarre. How is that even Constitutional? It's my property, I can sell it whenever I want. Or at least that's what you'd think.
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

Glenn E. wrote:That's pretty bizarre. How is that even Constitutional? It's my property, I can sell it whenever I want. Or at least that's what you'd think.
+1....
Any Port in a storm!
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

I"d think the current inventory that was purchased this way would have to be grandfathered in. Is that not the case here?
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:That's pretty bizarre. How is that even Constitutional? It's my property, I can sell it whenever I want. Or at least that's what you'd think.
The Constitution gave the states the power to regulate alcohol as they see fit. Leaving that power to the states was key in getting Prohibition repealed. From the 21st:
Section 2. The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:
The Constitution gave the states the power to regulate alcohol as they see fit. Leaving that power to the states was key in getting Prohibition repealed. From the 21st:
Section 2. The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited.
Yeah but that's different than saying "it's okay for you to own it, and for you to buy it, and for you to drink it, but if you buy it you cannot sell it again for 2 years."

As long as I have the right to buy it and sell it, it seems really strange that the states can force you to hold onto it for some arbitrary amount of time.

How is this NY law going to cover weird cases? What if I buy alcohol in another state, then bring it back with me into NY? Does the "waiting period" begin when I bring it into NY? The purchase was elsewhere, so the NY law doesn't apply at the time of purchase. What if I buy alcohol in NY but live in WA and then want to sell it to a friend in NY? Or a friend in WA? What if I buy 2 cases of the same wine in NY, but 2 years apart. Do I have to keep track of which bottles are which for resale purposes? There are so many weird corner cases that this has to cover... I just can't imagine that they've thought them all through.
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

The article is totally correct that this is a purely self interest driven proposal to benefit the Southerns of the distributing world. I'm disappointed that a state that really has done a ton to revamp their alcohol production and distribution laws to be more friendly to wineries, cider makers, Brewers and distillers would consider this a step forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Well, if you buy alcohol in another state, you can only bring in one quart a month to New York without paying a NY excise tax ... And since you have to have your original purchase receipt, I presume the waiting period is from when you purchase it, no matter where. You probably can't sell your wine to a friend in NY anyway.

I do think this proposal is rediculous, by the way.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

How is it not constitutional? This is exactly what I would expect NY to do. The political establishment in NY is crazy IMO, but that what the voters want and got.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

This whole issue pisses me off. I'm sick of the big distributors strong arming regulations in their favor that diminish my choices as a consumer. While we're on this subject, some part of me also wishes that the federal government would regulate the taxation on alcohol even if that mean that they adopt the tax structure of the state with the highest alcohol taxes so that EVERYONE has to pay the same price. Actually, that's a dumb idea for my wallet, I don't know what I'm saying. I guess I really just want to complain that I'm bothered by the fact that wine wholesale prices in Washington are no better than discount retail prices in CA and OR.