Shipping wine in the USA just got really hard. Worth the read

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Shipping wine in the USA just got really hard. Worth the read

Post by Andy Velebil »

Just a P.S.A. that UPS and FedEx are refusing shipments of wines to and from many states. Actually most states right now. People are having shipments in mid-ship returned to the sender. Seems it has all started with New York suing UPS that they are violating some laws with regard to shipping cigarettes and the potential fines that New York is seeking of over $800 million dollars they are not taking any chances with wine and are largely stopping shipping at the moment. As New York has also sent letters telling them they are violating the law shipping wine into New York. Seems that has caused a knee-jerk reaction to most shipping.

It doesn't seem to affect shipping within California, or within most states. But shipping to or from about 90% of the states seems to be taboo at the moment for them.

This thread on Wineberserks has more info (the more relevant info starts toward the bottom of page 1, way too much to rehash all here). If you're buying at auction this could pose a real issue as you may be able to buy it, but you won't be able to ship it. Keep in mind, with an auction the shipping is on you. Once you bid you're stuck with it if you win, regardless if you live in a ship to state or a no-ship state.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 97&start=0
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Re: Shipping wine in the USA just got really hard. Worth the read

Post by Eric Ifune »

Christies will not ship to Nevada, but will to California. It's been that way for some time.
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

I hope this doesn't hurt the buying op's ... :(
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mike K. wrote:I hope this doesn't hurt the buying op's ... :(
Whenever you can find a vendor who ships to MA; make them your favorite!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

For wine retailers shipping wine, here's UPS' list of who they will and won't ship to. Seems they are enforcing it pretty strictly all of a sudden. You'll see a whole lot of "No" in that list for retailers.

https://www.ups.com/media/en/wine_addendum.pdf

Same for FedEx
https://images.fedex.com/us/wine/Retail ... -Guide.pdf
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Hmmm. I received a shipment a couple of weeks ago, and have another coming this week. But I'm in a "No" state by those charts. Please don't point this out to FedEx or UPS. [beg.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:Hmmm. I received a shipment a couple of weeks ago, and have another coming this week. But I'm in a "No" state by those charts. Please don't point this out to FedEx or UPS. [beg.gif]
Too late, you can thank New York for pointing it out. Though it seems some retailers haven't been flagged, yet. Don't post names least they be discovered. Hope your wine makes it.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Eric Menchen wrote:Hmmm. I received a shipment a couple of weeks ago, and have another coming this week. But I'm in a "No" state by those charts. Please don't point this out to FedEx or UPS. [beg.gif]
I just ordered wine online and they had every opportunity to say they wouldn't ship here, but order went through... [shrug.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

A post from the above linked WB site, from Ian D. who works at Heritage Auction. I'd be very careful buying wines out of state to ship to you if you live in certain states. A "third party shipper" is often associated with auction companies and many retailers who hire, on your behalf, a "third party" shipping service (UPS/Fedex/etc). This will probably get worse before it gets better.
I'm not actively trying to ruin anyone's weekend, but I was sent some more info on shipping, and it's not pretty.

A buddy of mine owns one of the big third party shippers in Napa that does mailing list and club shipping for wineries. He's being forced by FedEx to cough up years of shipping records into NY and winery permits for shipping. This is beyond the letter that went out earlier this fall by FedEx telling wineries and retailers not to ship into NY any more.

Worse, they are especially taking a very hard line on the "cowboy shippers" in the valley who let private individuals ship wine home and do "shipping laundering" for wineries who don't or can't ship to various places. Since the request has been made to leave out names, I can't post specifics, but this won't only impact wineries, but ANYONE who uses a third party shipper.
E Franklin

Post by E Franklin »

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to follow up and see what everyone else's experience has been shipping wine from auction houses to Washington state, since I see lots of the regulars are from here. I've always been a tawny port drinker, simply because I wasn't exposed to VP, but have picked up some newer vintage ports at local retailers. But in an attempt to start building more of a collection, I've been looking at online auctions. But this recent change in shipping policies has me wondering if that's going to be an option. Can those of you in Washington chime in with your recent experiences getting wine shipped into the state?

Thanks!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

So far I've seen very little impact. Knock on wood!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

E Franklin wrote:I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to follow up and see what everyone else's experience has been shipping wine from auction houses to Washington state, since I see lots of the regulars are from here. I've always been a tawny port drinker, simply because I wasn't exposed to VP, but have picked up some newer vintage ports at local retailers. But in an attempt to start building more of a collection, I've been looking at online auctions. But this recent change in shipping policies has me wondering if that's going to be an option. Can those of you in Washington chime in with your recent experiences getting wine shipped into the state?

Thanks!
Washington seems to be ok at the moment, as do many west coast states. It appears this is more a New York thing and some of the other, typically more alcohol conservative states.
E Franklin

Post by E Franklin »

good to hear, thanks for your responses. I saw that FedEx and UPS both say on their websites that they won't ship to Washington unless it is a direct shipment from a winery, but glad to know they will ignore their own policies!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I do understand that FED-UPS are pushed by laws and especially states trying to figure out how to maximize tax collection on alcohol products. But making this so ridiculously difficult, just makes those of us who occasionally want/need to ship wines for a birthday or anniversary, or wedding gift etc. to figure out a way to get around the system.

To me, this is as inane as some states making it harder for people to vote. But I will avoid that topic here. :beat:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com