Correct Usage of words.

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Svein CE

Correct Usage of words.

Post by Svein CE »

This may seem impertinent coming from a foreign newbee, but:

On various fora I see the word pallet (see 1) used, when the meaning is obviously something completely different. This baffles (perplex, puzzle, bewilder, mystify, bemuse, confuse, confound) me, and to refresh the memory of the members of FTLOP, I humbly submit the following from Wikipedia:

1. A pallet /ˈpælᵻt/, sometimes inaccurately called a skid (a skid has no bottom deck boards), is a flat transport structure that supports goods in a stable fashion while being lifted by a forklift, pallet jack, front loader, work saver, or other jacking device, or a crane.

2. A palette /ˈpælᵻt/, in the original sense of the word, is a rigid, flat surface on which a painter arranges and mixes paints.

3. The palate /ˈpælᵻt/ is the roof of the mouth in humans and other mammals. It separates the oral cavity from the nasal cavity.
Eric Ifune

Re: Correct Usage of words.

Post by Eric Ifune »

The correct term in wine tasting is palate. The others are incorrect with the exception of using pallet (which is often made of wood) in reference to a wine having too much wood flavor.
Mike Meehan

Post by Mike Meehan »

Or pallet could be used in the context of wine and port, to describe the quantity of Fonseca 1970 I would like to own :D :D
Svein CE

Post by Svein CE »

The word palette can be used when describing the blenders arsenal.