Just finished two series finales ... need new recos please!

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Just finished two series finales ... need new recos please!

Post by Roy Hersh »

What should I watch next. I prefer series that go longer than 2-3 seasons unless they are that short but off-the-charts amazing.

Dislikes: anything with magic/witchcraft, vampires, warewolves and sword carrying soldiers from the middle ages. That said, a couple of friend recommended ROME, but I never bothered.

What is worthy out there?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Just finished two series finales ... need new recos please!

Post by Glenn E. »

Rome is really very good. Totally deserved the praise it received, but it contains adult themes and scenes that you might not want Taylor to watch just yet. Also, there are only 2 seasons. I have both seasons on DVD if you'd like to borrow them.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Have you watched The Young Pope series yet?

It starts kinda slow and I wasn't too keen the first couple episodes, then it took off and was a really good show. It's only one "season" so there aren't too many of them.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

"Billions" is good, granted I am 3 episodes into it. Have you watched the "The Queen"?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

How about Taboo?
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Billions is excellent. It's only in its second season, a few episodes in now.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote:Dislikes: anything with magic/witchcraft, vampires, warewolves and sword carrying soldiers from the middle ages. That said, a couple of friend recommended ROME, but I never bothered.
Hmmm. I've started watching The 100, which borders on sword carrying soldiers from the middle ages. There are sword and spear carrying post-apocalyptic Earth dwellers fighting the gun carrying from space (but originally from Earth) people. If you liked Hunger Games, Divergent, Maze Runner ... give it a try. It isn't as good as Hunger Games, but as good or better than part 2 of those other franchises.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks and please keep ideas coming!

Last night I watched the 3rd film from Divergent and actually turned it off 2/3 of the way, so good visuals, but it seems like they've run out of ideas to keep things fresh and unique. I loved the first one, watched the 2nd one twice, but this 3rd one was a FAIL.

I have not read consensus on a GREAT series to watch. My wife watches Billions and it just hasn't captivated my attention from the bits I've seen so far.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Eric Menchen wrote:Hmmm. I've started watching The 100 ...
Season 3 started getting hokey after four or so episodes, diverging from the original themes. I appreciated that they tied a bunch of different storylines together, but it went downhill IMHO. I still think I'll watch season 4, but thought I'd warn you.