TN:2002 von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Abstberg Riesling Auslese Fuder 93

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Trombley

TN:2002 von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Abstberg Riesling Auslese Fuder 93

Post by John Trombley »

10/3/2016 rated 96 points: TN:2002 von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Abstberg Riesling Auslese Fuder 93, AP #3 536 014-19-03, 7.5 pabv, $16/375 ml; Wine Commune, Valckenberg, International; Tulsa, OK.

With Coravin, a 2 ounce sample out of the half-bottle, in a Riedel Riesling. Relatively clear but deeply colored like a ripe peach. The nose is also peach-based, with tea, petrol, clover honey, and minerality in fine depth right out of the bottle. Scents of lanolin, craft paper, fresh cucumber, and linen water emerge within a few minutes. Rich, sweet apple juice on entry, with punchy acidity, a full texture and an unsettled mid-palate that still suggests considerable complexity; comes on with a funky touch of Grand Mariner. A very tiny hint of roughness on the finish, plus its somewhat awkward performance, made me deduct from the scores I gave this wine before. Jean Fisch thinks he detects a tiny hint of impure botrytis, and this bit of roughness may be what he had in mind. Even so, may not be permanent; there's lots of change to come in this wine until it hits its stride. This is now fully into its adolescence, so don't drink for another several years, (2020-3035). 95/100

A 6-month follow-on tasting: after a considerable time in the refrigerator, the half-bottle was re-Coravined into an Impitoyable (same bottle invaded in October 2016). Now showing light gold without spritz or tears. A very great and inviting nose consisting of clementine juice and other tangerine-like scents, fully harmoniously blended with lanolin and a whole chordal glissando on the high end, rose, wild spring violets, and white peach: a most promising nose. While it's juicy and a bit more dry than before on the palate, it grabs the salivary glands, showing a hint of diesel on the back end. It's a relatively powerful Gruenhaeuser, and it dwells with you. Since it's now at refrigerator temperature, it'll need more time in the glass to follow. No doubt a low-classic on the RP scale, but any given bottle may push the top of the score scale, which for me is 99, not 100 (there is no 100 percent on a logarithmic scale). These half-bottles are just starting to strut their stuff at 15 years, but well-kept they will make it to 2032, especially in 750s. What a bottle to commemorate the time of first contact with my soon-to-be wife, Jackie L. Mc. S. 96/100