Colecção Privada DSF Moscatel Roxo Setubal - Moscatel--Questions?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Trombley

Colecção Privada DSF Moscatel Roxo Setubal - Moscatel--Questions?

Post by John Trombley »

2006♦ Domingo Soares Franco Selecção Privada DSF Moscatel Roxo Setubal - J. M. da Fonseca. Roy has of late become interested in the high-end wines of this Fonseca, which is not related to those made on the Duoro. (The Setubal peninsula is very much further south, close to Lisbon). The Moscatel Roxo is a genetic mutation that has pink skins and can produce rosé wines when made with skin contact. The one cited above had I think 11 days of this.

One of Fonseca's wines that Roy seemed to like very much was the Moscatel Roxo Alambre. The Alambre 'Amber;', also the name of an old family estate, seem to be either age-dated and fortified, or Colheitas from superior vintage material, and also fortified with grape spirit. However, a Port-like formula, from the pink or white Moscatel, has been on the market since the late 1990s. At first Franco used Cognac to stop fermentation, and then later Armagnac. Some Setubal Moscatel wines actually contain some of both. This seems to have different effects on different tasters--some love it, and some find it nice but a bit odd.

Are there those out there that have holdings of these Private Collection wines? (I think there is a bubbly too with this designation). Does anyone have notes on these? What is the stylistic difference which is striven for between the Alambre and this slightly unusual DOC Setubal Private Collection? What flavors does this skin contact with the pink grapes add or suppress? Why is the Private Collection so much less expensive than most of the Alambre line?Although this wine is said to be drinkable on release, how long can one expect it to hold in the cellar? Does anyone know when this 2006 was released to market?

I ran into an East Coast retailer who had some of this, and got a couple of bottles shipped. I'll afflict you with a TN anon.

By the way, Franco is the man who we can blame for Lancer''s, of my college years.
Eric Ifune

Re: Colecção Privada DSF Moscatel Roxo Setubal - Moscatel--Questions?

Post by Eric Ifune »

Don't know if Franco is responsible for Lancers, or Mateus for that matter. I think the labels predated him.
He's very impassioned about Roxo (purple). I think the Roxo variety gives a bit more depth than the normal Moscatel (Muscat de Alexandria) and a tad less sweet. I'm thinking the maceration with skins may be responsible for the increased depth. The 20 year old JM Fonseca 20 year old Roxo is now imported into the states again, thank goodness! Another producer to look out for is Horacio Simoes.
Franco loves Cognac and Armagnac and experimented with using them to fortify some of his wines. As far as I know, they're only available at the domaine.
John Trombley

Re: Colecção Privada DSF Moscatel Roxo Setubal - Moscatel--Questions?

Post by John Trombley »

Eric Ifune wrote:Don't know if Franco is responsible for Lancers, or Mateus for that matter. I think the labels predated him.
He's very impassioned about Roxo (purple). I think the Roxo variety gives a bit more depth than the normal Moscatel (Muscat de Alexandria) and a tad less sweet. I'm thinking the maceration with skins may be responsible for the increased depth. The 20 year old JM Fonseca 20 year old Roxo is now imported into the states again, thank goodness! Another producer to look out for is Horacio Simoes.
Franco loves Cognac and Armagnac and experimented with using them to fortify some of his wines. As far as I know, they're only available at the domaine.

I'm quoting the Fonseca website about Franco's biography and Lancer's, but it's relatively vague, Probably should have omitted the comment.

If the Colecção Privada is the series to which you refer (with Armagnac and Cognac additions, I assume, in sufficent quantities to stop fermentation, there are several offers on WineSearcher, of the 2006, as of a few days ago. Let me check today's status. Although they have been released basically annually since, and are available at several places in Portugal, only the 2006 has been brought into the United states lately, and peraps there are a few previous vintages, and is available from 3 listed retailers, Schnieders, on Capitol Hill (strange how our President never seems to wander too far away from good wine stores!), where I bought mine.

Always very grateful for a note from you, Eric.