Two Modern but Very Different Huet le Mont Molleux 1er tries: 2008 and 2015

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Trombley

Two Modern but Very Different Huet le Mont Molleux 1er tries: 2008 and 2015

Post by John Trombley »

2008 and 2015 Domaine Huet Vouvray Moelleux 1ère Trie Le Mont

2008 (from bottle previously Coravined, in Impitoyable}: Medium yellowish-amber. Reluctant tearing and sheeting but quite limpid. Redcurrant, linden leaf, and muskmelon quite prominent, over a neutral florality. Crisp acids and white tannins are followed by cumquat, but with any sweetness pushed into the background by somewhat of a witches' brew of immaturity. May also be made in a drier style. Finish tart but neutral, yet promising. Will be awkward drinking for a few years, unless you like the style. 93. Drink 2023- 2035. (12.5 pabv.)

2015 (Coravin, Impitoyable): Full gold-amber. More liberal Gothic tearing. Almost Riesling like peaches and fermentation aroma, with breaths of thyme flower, having some linden leaf underneath. Entry is decidedly like a dessert wine, with powdered sugar, juicy apricot and peach, a slightly fiery finish (but my palate is oversensitive these days), with orange flower, cinnamon, and clove notes and great length. A come-hither baby, showing a very juicy and caressingly drinkable side that melts the heart and will prevent many from pursuing this wine through the twists and turns of maturing. Drink now through 2045. 97-98. (11.5 pabv.)

Both obtained prearrival from Rare Wine Co., California
Bradley Bogdan

Re: Two Modern but Very Different Huet le Mont Molleux 1er tries: 2008 and 2015

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Such amazing wines. I can't remember a Huet I've ever been disappointed with, and I've probably had a few dozen at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Such amazing wines. I can't remember a Huet I've ever been disappointed with, and I've probably had a few dozen at this point.

My favorite, Brad? The 1995 Constance. Never tasted the great old ones, however.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Such amazing wines. I can't remember a Huet I've ever been disappointed with, and I've probably had a few dozen at this point.

I have some the 1970's that are hit or miss. When they are on; it's like a mellow Sauterne.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

+1 to John, to please keep posting your notes; some are wines I may never try, though would be interested to if the opportunity arose, and I enjoy your notes.
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Phil W wrote:+1 to John, to please keep posting your notes; some are wines I may never try, though would be interested to if the opportunity arose, and I enjoy your notes.
Thanks, Phil, I will. I'm assuming you're referring to the 'Trombley character' thread. Good to know it's important to folks, as I have a very limited expectancy for the ability to write future notes, and I'll do it with more intention now.