Off-Topic TNs from that Trombley character

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Trombley

Off-Topic TNs from that Trombley character

Post by John Trombley »

I just noticed that I've posted many nonportuguese tasting notes here of late. Probably because I no longer can easily post to WA without about 12 clicks and entering 2 passwords, and many of the old gang have just gotten tired of complaining without results over the last 2 years (higher priorities?), most of them now gone, and the moderator has no power to influence policy.

Perhaps these postings might seem inappropriate, or perhaps the rest of you can benevolently tolerate my need to get my TNs down before the outcome of this to-the-death battle with cancer is decided one way or another.

Thanks to all.
Edward J

Re: Off-Topic TNs from that Trombley character

Post by Edward J »

I like your reports and enjoy learning about other sweet wines that port lovers enjoy. It would be nice to have a forum for "other sweets" but realize that this is a Port/Madeira site and isn't the focus here. However it could help drive more traffic to FTLOP which I think would be a good thing?
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Edward:

Thanks for the kind words. Here's a thought.

A slight change in the name of this forum to separate out 'other wines' from commentary on how the Bengals are doing (important as that is to someone from the Cincinnati area) would encourage broader posting of TNs. Many of we lovers of Portuguese wines by definition almost love other European and even (perish the thought) American wines. Perhaps Roy and friends would consider that. It might get more people looking at the forum, too. However, the sharp focus of Roy's work is one thing that keeps this page unique.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

John, I do enjoy your posting of other wine TNs. While I know that everyone here has a strong and enduring love of Portuguese wines, I often have little clue what else they drink. It's fun to get to know everyone's other favs, even if just to put their Portuguese TNs in context. I often find that folks here love many of the same non-Portuguese, non-super mainstream regions that I do as well (like the Loire)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:John, I do enjoy your posting of other wine TNs. While I know that everyone here has a strong and enduring love of Portuguese wines, I often have little clue what else they drink. It's fun to get to know everyone's other favs, even if just to put their Portuguese TNs in context. I often find that folks here love many of the same non-Portuguese, non-super mainstream regions that I do as well (like the Loire)!
Brad

I see that you noticed my two Huet notes (le Mont Molleux 1er trie 2008 and 2015). Yet my first and enduring great passion is for late-harvest German wines that are really too expensive for me to drink much of. Of course, if they were French white burgundy of equivalent quality, I'd maybe never have as much as seen a bottle. Even these Huets, bought on pre-arrival, were less than $70 a 750, and they are the top release from their vineyard.) Then there are strange things like Commandaria (at least what I used to be able to buy), Great Lakes-region Riesling, Tokaj, and Sherry (which is at the beginning of a major resurrection--be warned!)
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

While my cellar is dominated by Port, I have a lot of other stickies as well, and enjoy others from areas that I just can't keep track of well enough to make good buying decisions. So keep posting your notes, and maybe I'll put some Kracher notes here, or finally open one of my Bonnezeaux for consideration. [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:While my cellar is dominated by Port, I have a lot of other stickies as well, and enjoy others from areas that I just can't keep track of well enough to make good buying decisions. So keep posting your notes, and maybe I'll put some Kracher notes here, or finally open one of my Bonnezeaux for consideration. [cheers.gif]
Pretty much me too. I love Port but also drink other stuff too, I just don't post notes on them. So do keep posting your notes, I like reading them even if I don't comment on them all that much.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com