TN: Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Rosé NV: A Survivor

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Trombley

TN: Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Rosé NV: A Survivor

Post by John Trombley »

6/14/2017 rated 92 points: (France, Champagne). Bought last August 20 at Plum Market, Ann Arbor, the day after Barbara died. $40/375 ml; Veritas Distributors, Warren, MI.12 %abv, by this negociant-manipulant. Of course the half-bottle format got me to bite; this often gives a time-warp view of the wine's future. However, the lack of a bottling number makes me think that this has been on the shelf for about 10 years. Has it survived its retail tribulations? I think I heard somewhere that the sommelier for this store got her hands on an older batch of this bottling and, knowing her clients' passion for aged bubbly, did them a favor. Whether it's true or not, I don't know.

Served a bit warm, but that doesn't disturb me. Brassy with pinkish tones, one of those strangely-colored Roses that Champagne often produces, but with plenty of fine bubbles and carbonation even the second day.. Apple and whipped cream baked confection; dosage is light, quite crisp with a full mouth-feel. Like many a champagne, this one gets better as the CO-two begins to disappear, and the fine clarity and transparency begin to be apparent. Fresh, invigorating, mouthwatering finish that's a little yeasty and suggesting blood orange.

Used to toast Jackie's finishing of a 70-page grant proposal that's taken a month of hard labor and overtime. This was the same day her daughter Stephanie drove down from Madision, WI to see us, viz. 6/14/2017.

Drink or hold; at this point another five years is all to the gain, given how brash it was after being first poured. Impressive. 92 RPp/100.

Yes, Madeline Truffon, all is well.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: TN: Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Rosé NV: A Survivor

Post by Andy Velebil »

I love this Rose. Very solid year in and year out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Andy Velebil wrote:I love this Rose. Very solid year in and year out.

Andy,

Since you know this wine well, do you have an idea for the optimum time to cellar a newly-released bottle?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John Trombley wrote:

Andy,

Since you know this wine well, do you have an idea for the optimum time to cellar a newly-released bottle?
Can't say I've had anything with much age on it so I can't answer your question. These tend to get opened young.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Andy Velebil wrote:
John Trombley wrote:
Andy,
Can't say I've had anything with much age on it so I can't answer your question. These tend to get opened young.
Since I posted this, I've found one or two persons with a passion for aging Champagne say how perfect this stuff is with a few extra miles on it; it's a classic high-Pinot Rose that such folks love (and I confess I'm a lover of the tertiary, as well. A sort of Third Order man, so to speak.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

John,
If you can find it, try the Paul Bara Rose. Very Pinot.