Need New Movie + Video Suggestions

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Need New Movie + Video Suggestions

Post by Roy Hersh »

I've made my way through my NetFlix queue and am ready from some fine recommendations from you folks. What have you seen over the last year that was either current or old, but really left an impact. I am pretty open to genre.

Please do enter your suggestion like this:

Genre; Documentary
Title: Trouble the Water
Comment: I liked this because it really ...

Thanks! I am sure we can get a really good collective :ftlop: list going and then we'll all be able to share in seeing some fine films in the coming months!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Need Video Suggestions

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'm sure you've already seen this one, but "Road to Perdition" is great.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Genre: Drama
Title: Small Faces
Comment: It is very true to life and one of the best low budget films I have ever seen.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Genre: Foreign, Drama
Title: The Lives of Others
Comment: One of those movies that makes you stop and go "wow" when you're done watching it. Also interesting to me because I was into geopolitics at the time of the movie.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Have you ever seen the original documentary "Nannook of the North?" Facinating stuff and has aged well from the 1930's. Also sad when one knows that the heroic Nannook died only a few years later, starving on an ice flow.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have seen Road to Perdition ... very good although quite depressing and a fine recommendation. The Lives of Others, I saw with my wife and I don't actually remember it well so I may have to see it again. Thanks for all the fine suggestions.

Last night we watched a very good one, albeit it may not appeal to the masses. It's called: The Secret Life of Bees. Anyway, I will be checking out the suggestions and appreciate all of them. Derek and Eric, I've already slated added both of yours to the queue. Thanks!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Genre: Documentary (technically)
Title: Wordplay
Comments: A fun little movie about the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament. My wife "dragged" me to go see it when it opened, and I was surprised that it was actually pretty good. Any movie that contains Jon Stewart, Bill Clinton, and the Indigo Girls just has to be good, right? :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I would imagine that Kari had to do more than drag you to see that one. More like either serious sedatives or "kicking and screaming" and I'm talking about IN the theater.

Good stuff. Saw this a year ago. Charming even if you could care less about crossword puzzles, which I don't. Really well made documentary! My wife picks some bizarre flicks to watch.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

The follow-up is that Tyler Hinman, who won the tournament for the first time the year they filmed Wordplay, hasn't lost since. This year's final was rather dramatic - Tyler actually finished last and struggled with one final letter for a good 4-5 minutes, but he ultimately figured it out and finished the puzzle perfectly. Both of the other two guys made the exact same error, so Tyler won again for his 5th in a row.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Genre; Gangster, Foreign
Title: Gommorah
Comment: Scillian Mob movie that is current and has a "real" factor to it.

Genre; Horror
Title: The Ruins
Comment: Really freaky and you'll remember it for sure!

Genre; Horror
Title: Cabin Fever
Comment: Great horror film that does not use violins and dark rooms to scare the crap out of you! Well done and a must see to horror fans.
Last edited by Moses Botbol on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am finding this a lot of fun and surprised that with Port lovers we are not seeing far more mention of films they've enjoyed.

Keep 'em coming ... this is great!
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

My favorite movie of all time, but you've probably seen it:

Genre: Western, Drama
Title: Tombstone
Comments: Val Kilmer was robbed... the Academy didn't even nominate him for his role as Doc Holliday but his performance was easily the best as a supporting actor that year.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

One of my favorite horror films is "Don't Look Now" directed by Nicolas Roeg with Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland. Very creepy!
My favorite western is the original "Stagecoach" by John Ford with a very young John Wayne. Another favorite is more light hearted, "Destry Rides Again" with Jimmy Stuart and Marlene Dietrich. Apparently they were having an affair at the time.
Last edited by Eric Ifune on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Watched Children of Men and The Good Shepherd this weekend. I recommend the former. It is classified as Science Fiction, but certainly is not what most people think of the genre--more of the Andromeda Strain type.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Couple of others worth seeing

Genre: Crime
Title: 10 to Midnight
Description: Charles Bronson chases a sicko killer who kills his victims naked. Bronson at his best! Really creepy.

Genre: Thriller
Title: John Carpenter's The Thing
Description: A shape shifting alien haunts an Antartic base. Still as new today as it was in '82.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:] and The Good Shepherd
I liked The Good Shepherd but it's a really slow moving movie, and long to boot. I don't want to give it away, but I thought it was well done for the topic it delt with. Very authentic in how many of those types of people treated their families and their jobs back then. IMO this is a movie you'll either like or hate.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:I liked The Good Shepherd but it's a really slow moving movie, and long to boot. I don't want to give it away, but I thought it was well done for the topic it delt with. Very authentic in how many of those types of people treated their families and their jobs back then. IMO this is a movie you'll either like or hate.
I thought it was well done as well, but it did drag on and I hesitate to recommend it.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:I liked The Good Shepherd but it's a really slow moving movie, and long to boot. I don't want to give it away, but I thought it was well done for the topic it delt with. Very authentic in how many of those types of people treated their families and their jobs back then. IMO this is a movie you'll either like or hate.
I thought it was well done as well, but it did drag on and I hesitate to recommend it.
Knowing Roy and his like of dark movies with twists and turns he may actual like this one.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I actually did like the movie quite a bit. I also finally got to see Black Dahlia and really liked that one a ton.

But last night I saw a very serious, French film (I love foreign flicks) called, "I love you so long ... " It is not for everybody ... that is for sure and it is a bit depressing, but that is a given with most movies from France. :wink:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote: But last night I saw a very serious, French film (I love foreign flicks) called, "I love you so long ... "
I so want to comment on that movie title...but I'll just keep my mouth shut :devil: :lol: :lol: