FAQ.. Wiki...

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Tom Archer

FAQ.. Wiki...

Post by Tom Archer »

I tried approaching this site as though I was curious, but totally un-informed about Port.

Someone seeking answers to basic questions like 'what is Port?' and 'what are the different types of Port' does not immediately find an answer.

A section containing basic information, presented in clear English, with all technical terms explained, would seem beneficial.

I have spent a little time expanding and correcting the Wiki entry, however this is frequently compromised by contributions from others that are often inaccurate or misleading.

It would not be impossible for this site to have a firm link to Wiki, with a text preserved here (beyond the reach of unscrutinised editing..) and to periodically copy back the content to Wiki to overwrite any edits by persons unknown.

I am sure we could have quite an interesting debate, reviewing and perfecting the content and presentation of the entry!

- What do others think?

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Sounds like fun - but what is a Wiki?

Derek
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

but what is a Wiki
Wikipedia - the free, online and free to edit encyclopedia.

Although academia scowls at the concept of an encyclopedia where anyone can change the content, the reality is that most contributors have accuracy at heart, and errors get spotted and removed.

It's getting big - try doing some Google searches with the word WIKI tagged on the end.

Tom
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

uncle tom wrote:try doing some Google searches with the word WIKI tagged on the end.

Tom
Try doing a Yahoo search for just about anything and Wikipedia is usually one of the first few choices. I believe this is by design because it is factual and non-commercial. For "port wine" it is the second choice (same on Google).

-Dave-

Disclosure - I work for Yahoo, so I felt I had to speak up.

Yahoo!

Post by Guest »

Hey Dave - did I hear For The Love of Port was going to acquire Yahoo in a stock deal so they could take advantage of cross-advertising promotions and leverage synergies by gaining a powerful national and growing international platform upon which to distribute and promote its content?

Oh wait - that what the Time Warner / AOL deal was supposed to do... nevermind, the acquisition is off. Go back to your job now...

:)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Stewart,

You would think that the least David would be able to do for us ... is to make sure that this website/Forum obtains some preferential placements on the Yahoo site's searches for Port topics! 8)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ken M.

Re: FAQ.. Wiki...

Post by Ken M. »

I came to this site for exactly the reason stated by the OP. Almost zero knowledge of port and a desire to understand the differences in terminology, types, characteristics, aging behavior, and so on. I found the FAQ page on the site (written after these long-ago posts were made) and found it extremely helpful and interesting. I would like to add one suggestion for that page.

Each subsection assumes that the reader came from the index at the top of the page, so it typically starts out "This is a type of port with the following attributes..." I was reading straight down the page so I could understand Ruby, Tawny, Vintage, etc. When a paragraph started with "This refers to..." I had no idea what the subject was! I had to scroll to the top and then jump back to the paragraph to associate the term with the description. If you could add the topic title inline with each section, it would make progressive reading much easier.

Thanks for the time and effort put into sharing your knowledge with the world.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hi Ken
Many thanks for the advice. I'll look it over and see what we can do to make it more user friendly.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

There is a new format that will be coming to you very soon. Please be patient a few more days! :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com