Upcoming events

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Lisa S

Upcoming events

Post by Lisa S »

Some of you lucky devils are getting ready to head off on the upcoming sold out tour to Portugal at the end of this month! I hope you all have an amazing time and can bring back great stories and photos of your adventures to share with the rest of us.
I was surfing the website trying to see if there were any upcoming events being held this fall. Tastings or just groups of people getting together to share Port. I didn't see an event section but wondered if this was a possibility for the site in future. I'm hoping an event will come up soon. That anniversary event looked amazing!

Cheers
Lisa
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Upcoming events

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hi Lisa,
Our event section falls under the Offline forum you already found. Having too many sub-forums has some upsides and lots of downsides. We encourage anyone to post about any gatherings, events, and even commercial tastings as you run across them or are planning them yourself.

I used to post about upcoming retail Port/Douro/Madeira events in my area, but have been a bit slack as work has been keeping me a bit busy and I haven't been actively looking for them as much as I have. That should change in the near future, so you'll probably see more posts from me. May not help you in WA though...though you could come to L.A. and we could share some [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

We haven't planned it yet, but Roy and I will probably have another event this fall. And then there will be a 1985 horizontal near the end of January next year. Which, come to think of it, I should get posted soon so that people can start arranging travel from out of state.

We typically only do 2-3 events in the Seattle area each year. I'd like to get to one per quarter, though!
Glenn Elliott
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Glenn E. wrote:We haven't planned it yet, but Roy and I will probably have another event this fall. And then there will be a 1985 horizontal near the end of January next year. Which, come to think of it, I should get posted soon so that people can start arranging travel from out of state.

We typically only do 2-3 events in the Seattle area each year. I'd like to get to one per quarter, though!
I thought you'd be doing the 1985 horizontal in July for the Anniversary? ( I was thinking about trying to get across for it)

While I am here the main site seems to be missing at the moment, and the url is resolving to a Wordpress sample page. I assume somebody is playing around with it as it isn't exactly prime time in Seattle. (Just after 3am. It's 8pm in Melbourne if you wanted to know)
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Paul Fountain wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:We haven't planned it yet, but Roy and I will probably have another event this fall. And then there will be a 1985 horizontal near the end of January next year. Which, come to think of it, I should get posted soon so that people can start arranging travel from out of state.

I thought you'd be doing the 1985 horizontal in July for the Anniversary? ( I was thinking about trying to get across for it)
We've done both themed and ad-hoc for the Anniversary tastings in the past, and the back-of-the-napkin general consensus seems to be that the ad-hoc tastings are more popular. My theory is that this is due to the fact that an ad-hoc theme lets people bring something special that they already own rather than having to source something new just for the tasting.

Of course we could always do a 1955 horizontal for the Anniversary in July. I'll just take this moment to reserve the 1955 Graham as my bottle if we do. :wink:
While I am here the main site seems to be missing at the moment, and the url is resolving to a Wordpress sample page. I assume somebody is playing around with it as it isn't exactly prime time in Seattle. (Just after 3am. It's 8pm in Melbourne if you wanted to know)
Hmm... it's resolving normally for me now, albeit slowly, so it must have been some transient issue. I'll alert the crew that it slow, at least. Thanks for letting us know!
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

There is talk of a 1985 thing in NYC next year....but I have been collecting 1995s for the same purpose--a bit less involved as its mostly SQVPs--but also less expensive for someone looking for smaller, less expensive event.
Any Port in a storm!