I'm STILL human!

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: I'm STILL human!

Post by Glenn E. »

Just so we're clear, you're supposed to get the captcha every time you log in. That how we prevent spambots from infecting the site.

The real problem, it seems, is that you're getting logged out regularly rather than being allowed to remain logged in (on one computer). If you could stay logged in then the captcha wouldn't show up and it wouldn't seem like a problem.

I suspect that Stewart's already looking at it from that angle as well, but you might want to poke around for settings like that too. Unfortunately this is one of those areas of technology where I'm pretty blind, so I can't offer much help.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Just got to experience this on a new computer at my new job, and have relayed my experience to the admins in an attempt to help solve it.

Here's what's interesting - I never received a successful login message. 4 times in a row the front page challenged me and said I'd have to login again after passing the challenge, but every time it just challenged me again. So I tried going to the forums to login there, which also failed, but then when I returned to the front page I was suddenly and mysteriously logged in. And from there I could navigate to the forums and was logged in there as well.

So... still no answers, but hopefully we'll get it tracked down soon.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Just an update. We are exploring other options at this time. Please be patient in the mean time as we search out the best solution for our users. I apologize to anyone who has issues with the Captcha security feature.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Update. I think our awesome IT guys solved the issue. Please clear your catch and if you have any further issues please let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks for everyone's patience. Our IT folks have got a new Captcha procedure that doesn't require math. You may get a new Captcha that asks you to check the box to make sure you are not a robot and then match the pictures. This should be a one-time procedure per computer. Unless you're computer totally scrubs everything when you close your browser. But at least there is no math now, just a simple point and click procedure.

If anyone has issues please let us know. Thank you
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Hi Andy - came upon this in the last couple of days; a couple of observations:
1. The captcha requires Java, which some people (such as myself) may not have installed or enabled for security reasons.
2. On a different machine I used the captcha, which worked fine, but only needed me to click the "I'm not a robot", no subsequent picture step.
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Phil W wrote:Hi Andy - came upon this in the last couple of days; a couple of observations:
1. The captcha requires Java, which some people (such as myself) may not have installed or enabled for security reasons.
2. On a different machine I used the captcha, which worked fine, but only needed me to click the "I'm not a robot", no subsequent picture step.
I meant to include:

3. I understand why you want to use a captcha as part of login creation, but why use one for login itself?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Phil W wrote:Hi Andy - came upon this in the last couple of days; a couple of observations:
Interesting as I don't have Java loaded onto my home computer and I've had no issues. I did get the one click then I had to also match the pictures. I'll inquire about your comments.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Phil W wrote:
I meant to include:

3. I understand why you want to use a captcha as part of login creation, but why use one for login itself?
Because it keeps the spammers and bots out, which is a huge problem. Most of that isn't seen by our users as we work very hard so you don't.
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Phil W wrote: 3. I understand why you want to use a captcha as part of login creation, but why use one for login itself?
Because it keeps the spammers and bots out, which is a huge problem. Most of that isn't seen by our users as we work very hard so you don't.
I appreciate the need to keep out spammers and bots. I was about to discuss further (about lack of additional protection provided against spam/bots) but realised that captcha at login does help prevent again brute force password attack (especially where login names are known - when they are the same as shown name on posts - and when strong passwords are not enforced, or against dictionary attack). Sensible plan.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I got the picture thing when I logged in from Portugal, and the Captcha was in Portuguese. Luckily I knew what gelado was.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:I got the picture thing when I logged in from Portugal, and the Captcha was in Portuguese. Luckily I knew what gelado was.
LOL.