Quinta Do Crasto 2011 Old Wines Reserva - $28

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Quinta Do Crasto 2011 Old Wines Reserva - $28

Post by Eric Menchen »

At wtso.com right now, free shipping on three bottles. If I didn't have a bunch of earlier vintages I would get some, and the 2011 is probably better than what I have. Oh well.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Quinta Do Crasto 2011 Old Wines Reserva - $28

Post by David Spriggs »

That is an amazing price for such a great wine. A steal!
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Got a case. Had been waiting for this offer to come through. Seems they offer the Old Vines Reserve every year during Q4.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Arrgh! I was in the process of ordering when it sold out, so I didn't get any! [dash1.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Killer deal on a killer wine. I've got a note up on it...worth every penny a steal at that price.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Last year WTSO offered the 2010 on 3 different occasions, I believe.

If that is any indication, there will be other opportunities to get the 2011.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I've had it as a cask sample and again 2x at the Quinta this year and bought a case very early on. Wish I had bought it and the MT in large formats like I did the 2011 TN and TR.

The Vinha Velha is a real beauty that is worth aging but unlike some of its prior versions, it seems far more integrated early due to the change in oak regimen, especially considering it's listed at 14.5% abv. Loved it in early Oct. and noticed the change even from May. At $28 per, that price is excellent.

Watch closely for it to come around the loop again and buy all you can afford. Just think what $28 buys in most bottles of wine, domestically, Douro, Port or otherwise.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

Roy Hersh wrote:Watch closely for it to come around the loop again and buy all you can afford.
It was offered again on October 17th. But I expect it to be offered at least one more time.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:I've had it as a cask sample and again 2x at the Quinta this year and bought a case very early on. Wish I had bought it and the MT in large formats like I did the 2011 TN and TR.

The Vinha Velha is a real beauty that is worth aging but unlike some of its prior versions, it seems far more integrated early due to the change in oak regimen, especially considering it's listed at 14.5% abv. Loved it in early Oct. and noticed the change even from May. At $28 per, that price is excellent.

Watch closely for it to come around the loop again and buy all you can afford. Just think what $28 buys in most bottles of wine, domestically, Douro, Port or otherwise.
What change in oak regime?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

I am only sad that I missed the 2009 Quinta da Leda for $30 a couple of weeks back. Sure hope it returns!
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

Miguel Simoes wrote:I am only sad that I missed the 2009 Quinta da Leda for $30 a couple of weeks back. Sure hope it returns!
Yes, that was a great deal.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

David Spriggs wrote:
Miguel Simoes wrote:I am only sad that I missed the 2009 Quinta da Leda for $30 a couple of weeks back. Sure hope it returns!
That was a crazy low price. If it ever comes back buy all you can.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

A higher % of French oak vs. American and more so, less reliance on only new oak and more use of used barrels.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Wine Exchange in Orange, CA has it for 32.99.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I meant to post this earlier but forgot.

My box arrived, and it's the first time I've ever received anything with any damage from WTSO. But it was the weirdest damage... when we opened the box there was clearly something wrong because there was a wine stain near the bottom of the packing, but it hadn't reached the outer box so clearly wasn't a complete break. As we pulled the bottles out... none of them were damaged. Okay then, must have been something else dripping on it at the warehouse.

Except the stain was clearly wet. It was new, not several days old. Back to examining the bottles, a couple of them were damp on the outside but none were leaking. One was a little more than damp, so I started examining that one closer.

That's when I noticed a little bead of liquid about an inch from the bottom, maybe the size of the head of a pin. Sure enough, a drip of wine dropped onto the floor. And now we could both see a little line of tiny little beads forming... clearly the bottle was cracked around the bottom about an inch up, but we couldn't see the crack at all.

As we were looking at it, it was clearly getting worse. Drips were forming every 15-20 seconds now, so I very carefully sat the bottle on the counter. We got a corkscrew and opened it, decanted it carefully through a filter just in case, and then took another look at the bottle. STILL couldn't see the crack, but could barely feel it with a finger.

I suspect it happened in my wife's office, not during shipping. Someone probably sat the box down a little too hard and that one bottle compressed and cracked very slightly. Very strange, though, because WTSO uses those recycled paper inserts that seem like they'd cushion any sort of impact short of a full-on drop from waist height.

At any rate, the wine was delicious. Probably should have gotten 8 instead of 4. :)
Glenn Elliott
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

Glenn E. wrote:At any rate, the wine was delicious. Probably should have gotten 8 instead of 4. :)
High praise from a guy that doesn't drink dry wines! [friends.gif]

Yes... great wine. I already had a case, otherwise I would have bought more!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I had a case and still bought more for current drinking...and put some away for later. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Andy Velebil wrote:
David Spriggs wrote:
That was a crazy low price. If it ever comes back buy all you can.
It came back!! V exciting :)