Madeira 4 auction

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andreas Platt

Madeira 4 auction

Post by Andreas Platt »

Soon to come are a few of my bottles (all have been well-kept in my cellar):

1934 Abudarham B
1954 Blandy's B
1934 Welsh B
1905 Welsh S
1934 Welsh V

Where: KLWines
When: bidding will open March, 2nd

Afaik there is only a sellers premium (which I'll pay) and NO buyers premium - good for you.

Happy bidding & good luck in case anyone's interested
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Madeira 4 auction

Post by Roy Hersh »

This makes little financial sense. Why put them up at auction and then advertise them here. You could have just offered to folks here first and not had to pay any sellers commission. If they did not sell here, then put them up at auction. Hmmm.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Hi Roy,

letting the community know that these will be available makes sense. I didn't necessarily post this to make extra financial revenue but I have posted a year ago and the interest was very small. Also, when posting on the forum and offering to sell, mostly produces reactions that everybody wants the wines "for free" and if asking for a fair price this "fair price" becomes subject of sujectivity.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

While I agree with Roy and would certainly offer a fair and reasonable price for something I was interested in (not old Maderia), there is another issue here at least for buyers on this side of the pond--importing the bottles from Europe, which I presume K&L is handling, and probably doing so at a more reasonable cost with a consolidated shipment, etc.

And yes, what is a fair price is subject to debate. Some of us are bargain shoppers, watching 8 different auction houses ...
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Eric,

all the wines have been lying in my cellar in California ever since.

I wouldn't even think about taking the risk of shipping, nor would KL accept grey market items.

And in regards to low-cost shopping: that is legitimate; as trying to achieve a fair price is, as well.

Best
Barry Sunderland

Post by Barry Sunderland »

Roy Hersh wrote:This makes little financial sense. Why put them up at auction and then advertise them here. You could have just offered to folks here first and not had to pay any sellers commission. If they did not sell here, then put them up at auction. Hmmm.

Andreas DID offer them here first, Roy. [dash1.gif]
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

UPDATE: All wines online and bid-able now.

Happy bidding
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Those Madeira prices do look pretty reasonable to me for now; but I can't say the same for the 2011 Dow that came up. I guess someone is trying to cash in on the #1 wine of the year hype. As I said, I'm not really interested in older Madeira, but if those prices haven't moved by the 9th, be sure to bump this thread Andreas.
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Hmm,

interstingly no-one seems to be after Madeiras...perfect bottles, storage, price etc.

Well, there are a few days left 2 bid [beg.gif]

Eric, your're welcome to participate in the auction :stir:

Best,

Andy
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

I'm procrastinating, but will enter bids soon. I need to be sure that K&L will ship to somewhere close.
Matt K

Post by Matt K »

Okay - who's killing me on the 1934? [berserker.gif]

Andreas if you have anything else to sell please let me know via email/PM. :)
mmmMadeira
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Matt K wrote:Okay - who's killing me on the 1934? [berserker.gif]

Andreas if you have anything else to sell please let me know via email/PM. :)

That's me. I sent you a PM
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Sorry, I'm not in the mood selling any more than those currently at auction - which doesn't mean that I don't have anymore [shok.gif]

I'm only surprised that the 1905 doesn't produce more interest...it's not a wine that can be bought easily whereas the 1934 is available at some places (although at a high price).

Lowest I saw the 1905 S was at http://www.turville-valley-wines.com/ and not for cheap...

But then again I guess that first of all most people are behing M and B and don't prefer the dry taste that V and S can have...altough I sometimes prefer the Sercial to an overly sweet M...T is a completely different animal of course.

Cheers
Matt K

Post by Matt K »

Andreas, no problem, that was more in the way of, 'if you (or anyone else) find yourself ready to unload some more please contact me first instead of auctioning it.'

I searched for retailers selling the '34's and came up pretty blank except for auction records; Do you have any sources (not findable on Wine Searcher) that you'd be willing to share with this new guy? :)
mmmMadeira
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Hey Matt,

no problem, just wanted 2 let you guys out there know that I will hold my small collection 2gether and that I will keep my other bottles.

Regarding the 1905 and 1934: I know that MWC in Funchal was selling Frasqueiras down to 1907 (altough prices were horrible) but no 1905. They I think sold the 1934 , and it is possible to source 1934 if you're willing to pay the prices; 1905 is much harder to find (acc. to Cossarts book "1905 S is a truly great example of S, 1934 B together with 1920 B and 1926 B the finest B of the century").

Be sure that if I change my mind and think about sharing some of my Madeiras I'll post them here first - as I've done in the past.

If you're absolutely desperate just send me a pm and let me know what you're interested in - maybe we could work something out.
Matt K

Post by Matt K »

Thanks Andreas. No desperation, just a little bit of OCD...I'm also hyper focused on Madeira these days because I've slowed down my other wine buying (space/QPR/bought 09/10 heavily) and it seems that, in the few years I've been collecting, prices have gone up precipitously and availability down quite hard so I'm motivated to buy where ever I can find relatively good value.
mmmMadeira
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Matt K wrote:...in the few years I've been collecting, prices have gone up precipitously and availability down quite hard so I'm motivated to buy where ever I can find relatively good value.
Matt,

who isn't??

:mrgreen:

And yes: prices increased so badly the last 5 years that it is almost impossible to find any deals these days.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Agreed. Like Sherry, the market for Madeira has really strengthened in the past 5 years.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Matt K

Post by Matt K »

I 'won' the 54 Blandy Bual but got 'sniped' by $10 for the '34 Welsh Brothers in the last minute. :mad:

Andreas - I guess the question becomes 'what is a good value' - I assume all of the offers you had from the attempt to sell here, before the auction, we too low?
mmmMadeira
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Matt K wrote:I 'won' the 54 Blandy Bual but got 'sniped' by $10 for the '34 Welsh Brothers in the last minute. :mad:

Andreas - I guess the question becomes 'what is a good value' - I assume all of the offers you had from the attempt to sell here, before the auction, we too low?
Matt,

My offer on FTLOP was $ 2500 for all of the following bottles together

1934 Abudarham Madeira Boal
1964 Abudarham Madeira Boal C.V.M.
1912 Barbeito Madeira Malvazia Reserva Velha Bual
1920 Blandy Madeira Bual
1954 Blandy Madeira Bual
1934 Welsh Brothers Madeira Boal
1934 Welsh Brothers Madeira Verdelho
1934 Welsh Brothers Madeira Verdelho

I think that offer was more than fair but obviously was not a good enough deal for our community :stir:

So pop goes the wiesel...ehmm...popped will get the Madeira-corks of the now auctioned bottles.

Since it is always nice to let the bottles go to someone who values them it is also always a hassle to deal with negotiants...

Well, glad that you got the '54 - but it's always tricky to not bid the price may want to pay and then get overbid in the last seconds...I learned my lesson regarding that topic.

Cheers