The next great subscriber's buying opPORTunity.

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: The next great subscriber's buying opPORTunity.

Post by Roy Hersh »

Okay, I am very pleased to announce that the final negotiations have been successful and over 20 European countries will now be entitled to participate in this one-off buyer's op for subscribers of the FTLOP newsletter across Europe.

I will email details at the end of this coming week. Great prices, phenomenal Ports and this will be the last time ANYONE sees prices like this ever again on these specific Ports! :scholar:

Tonight the offer evaporates for our American subscribers, at midnight Pacific Time.

For those in European countries that have emailed or commented here in the Forum, asking me to please find a way to make this happen in Europe too, while the table wine part of the deal was impossible; the Port side is a definite now! se [dance2.gif]

Please make sure your subscription is current and you'll be all set. For those not yet subscribers to the newsletter - IF you subscribe by Friday, January 20th, you will receive my emaiil and have full access to this spectacular Port buying op. Not that I take sides, but STRIPE is the easiest and fastest way to go about this, but you can still use Paypal if you want to set up an account, something STRIPE doesn't require. [cheers.gif]

I will just say, that the quantity purchased here in the USA, was unprecedented, as the deal was great here, but the pricing even more advantageous in the EU.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
J yuen

Post by J yuen »

That's PHENOMENAL... Too bad there wasn't a canadian equivalent...
I would have bought SO SO SOOO much more if it was available in canada...
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

J yuen wrote:That's PHENOMENAL... Too bad there wasn't a canadian equivalent...
I would have bought SO SO SOOO much more if it was available in canada...
You happen to be in the one country where things related to wine shipping aren't simple :(
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I could've made it work up in Canada too, but unfortunately, the prices would have not made this worthy. I've done it before and learned that hard lesson.

So I urge our Canadian subscribers to call upon friends in the USA, or even FTLOP'ers that have been here long term, that are in places that you visit often enough that you could bring in a few bottles at a time.

I am sure there are folks here willing to help. It wouldn't make sense to have those from the East coast do so, but if someone from BC or even in the heartland of Alberta wanted to ship to me, I'd be happy to help accept shipments.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Seems like we are in the prime shipping season... any word on when these wines will ship?
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Marco D. wrote:Seems like we are in the prime shipping season... any word on when these wines will ship?
During my last communication with Ayesha she said that she expected the wines to arrive from Portugal in mid-April, which I assume means any day now. They'll need a couple of days to turn the orders after the wine arrives, at which point they should be able to begin shipping.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I just checked. The shipment is slated for arrival in the USA on May 18th. As long as there is no delay with US Customs, the wines will ship to subscribers the following week.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

This from Ayesha was in my mail box:

Dear FTLOP subscribers,

I am writing to update you on the timing of the FTLOP buying opportunity shipments, as I know you are all eager to enjoy these excellent wines.

Several of the Port wines were delayed in getting their labels approved with the appropriate authorities in Portugal - even longer than usual - so this delayed the shipment from Portugal for all of them, unfortunately. We did get approvals and the wines are on the ship now. The ship is estimated to arrive on May 20th into the Port of Long Beach. I will update you on your individual shipments after that, and I am aware that you'll want them as soon as possible, given the approaching summer months.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Ayesha
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Now it's getting too warm to ship, so at this point many will be waiting until the fall... [dash1.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
jeff t.

Post by jeff t. »

I was expecting a March delivery it now looks like June.I live in Florida and June will be in the mid 90's which is too hot to ship.What options do we have?
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

jeff t. wrote:I was expecting a March delivery it now looks like June.I live in Florida and June will be in the mid 90's which is too hot to ship.What options do we have?
Risk the hot weather, wait till fall, or ask for your money back... [shrug.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Folks, realize that this was an issue that no one involved could have predicted or controlled. The labels have to be approved by the government, and that took much longer than expected.

It will eventually get worked out, but yes those who live in warmer climates may need to wait until fall to have their orders shipped. If it's going to be 90 degrees in your area, you probably wouldn't even want to have it shipped overnight as that still involves spending time in a truck while out for delivery.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:Folks, realize that this was an issue that no one involved could have predicted or controlled. The labels have to be approved by the government, and that took much longer than expected.
I don't think the majority (including me) were told things were contingent on export labels when they ordered the wine. We were expecting to have the wine in March.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Folks, realize that this was an issue that no one involved could have predicted or controlled. The labels have to be approved by the government, and that took much longer than expected.
I don't think the majority (including me) were told things were contingent on export labels when they ordered the wine. We were expecting to have the wine in March.
Why would we have been told? Exports are always contingent on having approved labels, and producers get them made all the time. It's routine. I doubt anyone thought there'd be a problem with them. For whatever reason, the government didn't approve and so now our Port is late.

It's like there being an accident on the freeway on your way to work. Did you warn your boss that you might be late because there might be an accident? Or did you just drive to work assuming everything would be normal as it almost always is?
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

If anyone no longer wants their order, I'll be happy to purchase them. :mrgreen:
Maurice Fitzhugh

Post by Maurice Fitzhugh »

I would be willing to help you Eric if any one takes you up on that. This was a great deal and I have a bit more cash even if I have to wait till fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John M.

Post by John M. »

This happened (long delay) to a recent prior Buying Op.....given that these are unusual transactions I think its more likely "the accident will occur" to use Glenn's analogy. So a measure of patience is in order and a delay is not surprising, nothing nefarious is going on here. These are fantastic deals and your wine will come.

Reminds me of the old joke....you want it great, your want it cheap, you want it fast?...well cannot do all three but you can pick any two!
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

John M. wrote: So a measure of patience is in order and a delay is not surprising, nothing nefarious is going on here. These are fantastic deals and your wine will come.
What will be 10+ months from ordering to delivery is quite a measure of patience IMO.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:
John M. wrote: So a measure of patience is in order and a delay is not surprising, nothing nefarious is going on here. These are fantastic deals and your wine will come.
What will be 10+ months from ordering to delivery is quite a measure of patience IMO.
Then maybe you should refrain from participating in future buying ops?
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Eric Ifune wrote:If anyone no longer wants their order, I'll be happy to purchase them. :mrgreen:
+1