The next great subscriber's buying opPORTunity.

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: The next great subscriber's buying opPORTunity.

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks for the kind words, Greg. Much appreciated. :salute:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

John M. wrote:My Souza's have shipped!!
Shipment cancelled---maybe they're concerned over weather as its pretty cold here right now... [help.gif]
Any Port in a storm!
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

John M. wrote:
Shipment cancelled---maybe they're concerned over weather as its pretty cold here right now... [help.gif]
I had the same thing. They had to re-label the shipments, so had to cancel the original and then reschedule. You should have 3 UPS notifications: One confirmation of shipment, one confirmation of a rescheduled shipment, and one cancellation. One confirmation and one cancellation should have the same tracking numbers. The second confirmation should have the correct tracking number.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The good news is that I am pretty sure that any other FTLOP buying op will go far smoother than this one. [dash1.gif]

Thanks for being good sports about this and being patient. All good things come to those that wait. Fortunately, no money was required up front. [foilhat.gif]

:beat: = Roy ----> [bye2.gif] ----> 2x :winebath: :winebath:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gary Richardson

I got another phone call confirming that all of the packages were picked up by UPS yesterday. It is on its way to all of us.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Gary Richardson wrote:
John M. wrote:
I had the same thing. They had to re-label the shipments, so had to cancel the original and then reschedule. You should have 3 UPS notifications: One confirmation of shipment, one confirmation of a rescheduled shipment, and one cancellation. One confirmation and one cancellation should have the same tracking numbers. The second confirmation should have the correct tracking number.
Gary, You are correct---but the 2nd shipment notice was at 2:40 PM and the cancellation of the other was 7:00 PM---so you can see why I was confused. Thanks!
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:I was driving when Cory called and I had to call back. So far no one answers the phone or has returned my message. Can you please send them a note to do so. Thanks :)
I still haven't received my call, either, but I have received 4 calls from 3 different area code 510 numbers that might (or might not) be them. I never answer the phone if the number isn't in my contacts, but whoever is calling isn't leaving a message. I did try to call one of the numbers back (the one that called twice), but it instantly answered with something like "no one is available to take your call right now" so I didn't keep trying.

Could someone please tell them to leave a message with a callback number? Either that or email me with a time that they will be calling so that I know to answer the phone?
ARRRGH!

It was some weird problem with Verizon. For whatever reason, they weren't notifying me of voice mails. I had 6 on my phone dating back to late August, including one from Cory.

I called him back and left him a message apologizing for the delay in responding. I also now know his number and will watch for it so that I know to answer when he calls.

Stupid Verizon. :mad:
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Yay! I talked to Cory this morning and my Port should arrive Wednesday or Thursday.

Now I just need to figure out what went wrong with Verizon, and whether or not I need to do anything (more) to fix it! So annoying...
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:Yay! I talked to Cory this morning and my Port should arrive Wednesday or Thursday.

Now I just need to figure out what went wrong with Verizon, and whether or not I need to do anything (more) to fix it! So annoying...
Ditto...minus the Verizon issues. LOL
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
cliburn
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

Post by cliburn »

Well I finally heard from Kyle late last week. He called my cell phone as I was on vacation in Australia.
I was so happy to hear from him I quickly gave him my credit card info and confirmed my shipping address.
It was not until I got back over the weekend that I realized the polar vortex was descending... I was pretty depressed looking at my shipping confirm next to the weather forecast.
I live in Minnesota and was braced for the worst.
Happy to report the port just arrived and all is in liquid state (though cold), the corks seem intact and not extended, and no leakers (yet).
John M.

Post by John M. »

Mine just arrived, too. And like Cliburn, very cold bottles. I really hope they are not damaged--do not perceive any ice, but it was well below freezing last night. How cold is too much to which point port is damaged?
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:Mine just arrived, too. And like Cliburn, very cold bottles. I really hope they are not damaged--do not perceive any ice, but it was well below freezing last night. How cold is too much to which point port is damaged?
You'd know if it was too cold. If it got to the frozen stage it would expand and push the corks up, just like being heat damaged. Don't worry, they are perfectly fine.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

John M. wrote:Mine just arrived, too. And like Cliburn, very cold bottles. I really hope they are not damaged--do not perceive any ice, but it was well below freezing last night. How cold is too much to which point port is damaged?
I can't comment on what it takes to actually damage a Port, but a 20% alcohol water solution will freeze at 15F. The other stuff in Port probably lowers that number a little more.
cliburn
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

Post by cliburn »

Well in was +2F when it was delivered... but I think it is OK.... I was worried some might leak overnight... happy to have them!
John M.

Post by John M. »

Thanks---temps above 20 so I guess we are okay.
Any Port in a storm!
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Mine arrived today. Chilly, but intact, and look fine.
Gary Richardson

Got mine, today. Everything was good.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Mine arrived Friday and we picked it up from my wife's office today!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The reason the bottles were cold is NOT because of ambient temps outside. The bottles were all packed in a very cold temperature controlled warehouse and the bottles left there in that condition. Don't worry these are not going to be leakers.

OK, I am done worrying about this buyer's op FINALLY. Onto the one that will reach subscribers just before New Years. It is likely the best in a long time, with some spectacularly aged Ports and some stunning bargains for Portuguese table wines. Hold on to your hats folks!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

OH NO! I've already blown the Christmas budget! [foilhat.gif]