Croft 1977

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric R...

Croft 1977

Post by Eric R... »

BPW wines is a retailer that acquires and sells off collectors' cellars. Today they posted an offering that included 3 bottles of Croft 1977 at $69 apiece. After a very brief scan of Cellartracker reviews and prices on Wine-Searcher.com, I decided to buy all 3 (sorry folks, I guess I was greedy!). Just wondering if feel that was a good deal, and if anyone has had this wine and what you thought of it.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Croft 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Sounds like a good deal to me!

Croft started downhill a bit around 1970, but never really dropped off that far, so the 1977 should still be very pleasant drinking. And really, what other 39-yr old wine can you get for $70?

Well done!
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Just check them when you get them. I recently opened a case of Cr77 and find that 9 of 12 were leaking, one bottle was down to mid shoulder.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:Just check them when you get them. I recently opened a case of Cr77 and find that 9 of 12 were leaking, one bottle was down to mid shoulder.
OUCH!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

Al B. wrote:Just check them when you get them. I recently opened a case of Cr77 and find that 9 of 12 were leaking, one bottle was down to mid shoulder.
Just a dumb question maybe, but do you (and others) never open a case before buying/paying it? Esp. when it concernes old bottles? I'm aware that this might not be possible in your country, as I live in a very small country, so I never have a case shipped, always pick it up myself (or my husband 8--) ). But I (or he) always do inspect the bottles before I pay.
Ones I made a reservation for a case (6-pack) of Niepoort 1997, it turned out that 2 of 6 were leakers.. didn't buy those two bottles :snooty:
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I live in Colorado (middle of the U.S.), where full cases of Port at reasonable prices are few and far between. Most of my purchases come from the east or west coast of the U.S., so I never get to personally inspect them. I try to buy from places with lots of photos or good bottle descriptions, and I've learned a bit from past experience on this front too.
Last edited by Eric Menchen on Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Meehan

Post by Mike Meehan »

Monique Heinemans. wrote:
Just a dumb question maybe, but do you (and others) never open a case before buying/paying it? Esp. when it concernes old bottles? I'm aware that this might not be possible in your country, as I live in a very small country, so I never have a case shipped, always pick it up myself (or my husband 8--) ). But I (or he) always do inspect the bottles before I pay.
Ones I made a reservation for a case (6-pack) of Niepoort 1997, it turned out that 2 of 6 were leakers.. didn't buy those two bottles :snooty:
The Niepoort '97s have a firm reputation for leaking and/or suffering from serious VA...you have avoided the leakers but may find the other 4 bottles have a different problem :(
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

Mike Meehan wrote: The Niepoort '97s have a firm reputation for leaking and/or suffering from serious VA...you have avoided the leakers but may find the other 4 bottles have a different problem :(
Unfortunately I've experienced that.. one bottle showed extremely well and another was very bad...
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Monique Heinemans. wrote:
When I can I will open a case and check the condition of bottles on collection or prior to purchase. However, I sometimes buy in bond so can't access the bottles until I pay duty and taxes. This was one of those situations.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

It's a decent port. Their best until '91. Will be good anniversary port for next year drinking. 1977 vintage is pretty well over-hyped IMO. Even Taylor and Fonseca are only "so good".
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well, speculation is always interesting.

I had this Port in September during one of two verticals of Croft, held at Quinta da Roeda (different vintage both times that together filled in all major vintages between 1963 and present. I also had this once during the mid-section of the summer too. But the ex-cellars bottle last month was "good", but there's a reason why that price seemed so advantageous. My rating for this VP was 85 points. The rest of the gang was half above and half below my score. And while a notable Croft's representative was not willing to say anything substantially negative, he did final admit, it was "a bit flat."

I certainly would drink all three bottles by the end of the decade, or certainly 2 of them, if you prefer seriously mature VP characteristics. This VP in my opinion, has already peaked, at least the two most recent examples I've been a part of.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com