FS: NV Broadbent Madeira Terrantez Old Reserve

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jim S.

FS: NV Broadbent Madeira Terrantez Old Reserve

Post by Jim S. »

I have eight bottles of NV Broadbent Madeira Terrantez Old Reserve that I am interested in selling for $125 each.
I am happy to personally deliver anywhere in NYC (except Staten Island). Or you can pick it up from me in Manhattan. I will not ship.
Please send me a PM, if you interested in any number of bottles.

Thanks,
Jim
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: FS: NV Broadbent Madeira Terrantez Old Reserve

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jim,
As a non-New Yorker I have to ask....what's the issue with Staten Island?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jim S.

Post by Jim S. »

Hi Andy,

Staten Island is annoying and costly to get to, and it is not in itself a food or wine destination (or on the way to one) for me.
I am already in Manhattan, and the other boroughs all provide excuses for me to visit.
If someone from Staten Island wanted to get a bottle from me, they'd certainly be welcome to pick it up in Manhattan.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jim S. wrote:Hi Andy,

Staten Island is annoying and costly to get to, and it is not in itself a food or wine destination (or on the way to one) for me.
I am already in Manhattan, and the other boroughs all provide excuses for me to visit.
If someone from Staten Island wanted to get a bottle from me, they'd certainly be welcome to pick it up in Manhattan.
Ah ok, thanks. Good to know.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It also requires taking a ferry to get there from Manhattan or a tunnel and then a long drive through NJ. Otherwise, a bridge to Brooklyn and a very expensive bridge from there to SI. I don't blame Jim one bit. I know 3 of the 5 boroughs better than I know Seattle today, yet I'd be quickly lost on the island of Staten and most of the Bronx.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Great wine, good price Jim ... in today's Madeira dollars.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jim S.

Post by Jim S. »

Hey Roy-

Thanks for understanding, and giving a more complete explanation for excluding a Staten Island delivery. I thought about excluding the Bronx, but it is on my way upstate, I store a lot of wine at The Wine Cellarage (in the Bronx), and since my kids went to school in the Bronx, there is a soft spot in my heart for that "uncool" borough.
Also, thanks for recognizing that the Broadbent Terrantez is a good deal.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I've been to the Bronx a ton of times. 95% of the time it was to go to a NY Yankees game at the original stadium and then the updated one on the same grounds, almost always a bus and two trains to get there from my family's home in Bayside, Queens. Last time I was at the "House that Ruth Built" was in the early 1990s. I've never been to the new stadium.

Also, I used to date a gal who lived in Co-op City, when the Bronx was a less-than-safe place in the late-70s after I finally bought my first car in 1975 (1970 FIAT 124 Spider) and a dozen years after "it" replaced the old Freedomland, which my parents took me to as a young boy. The BX was quite the place, back in the day.

Anyway, fun reminiscence. Good luck with the sale; but why not just drink it up?
Jim S.

Post by Jim S. »

Wow! The 1970 FIAT 124 Spider was the car I lusted for in my latter teens.

I would drink those bottles, but I have many duplicates, and more than I can drink, even with friends and relatives, in a lifetime. This week, I shared a bottle of 1952 Welsh Brothers Jubilee Verdelho with the Thursday Brown Bag wine group. It was a fabulous bottle, enjoyed by all, after drinking a nice array of brown-bagged bottles (well, they were in decanters). Anyway, I'd rather drink oddball bottles, than the usual suspects, at this point.