1934 Niepoort Colheita

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

1934 Niepoort Colheita

Post by Roy Hersh »

An acquaintance/friend of mine has a bottle of this Port in good condition. He wants to sell it, but saw what it is being offered for on Winesearcher and thinks a fair price is a couple of hundred less than the low price there. What say you all?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Re: 1934 Niepoort Colheita

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I couldn't find it on winesearcher, but got this message:
The most recent global average price we have for Niepoort Colheita Port 1934 is $953 (February 2017).
That's crazy. I've paid a lot less for 1937 colheitas. Granted, they weren't Niepoort, but I think they were in the $300 range. Here's what cellar-tracker says for 1934 Niepoort Colheita:
Community Average Value: $483.24
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:I couldn't find it on winesearcher, but got this message:
The most recent global average price we have for Niepoort Colheita Port 1934 is $953 (February 2017).
That's crazy. I've paid a lot less for 1937 colheitas. Granted, they weren't Niepoort, but I think they were in the $300 range. Here's what cellar-tracker says for 1934 Niepoort Colheita:
Community Average Value: $483.24
1937 Colheitas have gone up in price over the last 5-10 years, some significantly. While it is true that you used to be able to get them from a reputable internet retailer for around $300, these days $450+ is much more the norm. Winesearcher's "average price" is useless, as it's just their average of all prices they've seen. Including those "trophy" stores that have one bottle listed for $2000 more as advertising than in any real hope of selling it.

Niepoort has always been more expensive than other older Ports. My guess is due to its relative rarity. I think the CellarTracker price you quoted is probably pretty accurate, though it wouldn't surprise me to have to pay a little more to get a 1934. Perhaps a nice round $500?
Glenn Elliott
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

Roy Hersh wrote:An acquaintance/friend of mine has a bottle of this Port in good condition. He wants to sell it, but saw what it is being offered for on Winesearcher and thinks a fair price is a couple of hundred less than the low price there. What say you all?
I have a pro account and the cheapest is €375,- I would say €300,- is a fair price.
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

My idea of a current "fair" price would be 375-400 bucks.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andreas Platt wrote:My idea of a current "fair" price would be 375-400 bucks.
Jasper A. wrote:I have a pro account and the cheapest is €375,- I would say €300,- is a fair price.
All I can say is that if you can get a bottle for any of those prices from a reputable source, DO IT!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks for all the feedback. I've passed this along to the owner of the bottle for him to see what you all think. Much appreciated! [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

If he really thinks a couple hundred less than winesearcher's low price is fair, point him my way. :wink:
Glenn Elliott