Ramos Pinto Jubileu 1880 - 1930

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

h booger

Ramos Pinto Jubileu 1880 - 1930

Post by h booger »

Hello,

Please somebody can share more information about this bottle? Thanks
Attachments
RP1880.jpeg
RP1880.jpeg (77.39 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Ramos Pinto Jubileu 1880 - 1930

Post by Andy Velebil »

(EDIT: I've resized the picture so it's easier to see).

The bottom appears to say something along the lines of it will throw a deposit (I think) so I suspect it's a more basic or mid level Ruby Port. While it probably still drinks sorta ok, I wouldn't hold out hope for greatness. That translates into not being worth much money. Like the Madeira, open it with friends and hope for the best. But have a back up bottle just in case.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
h booger

Post by h booger »

Hello again,

Thanks for your words and resize photo.

I do some search on stores in Portugal, and seems this bottle come out for the celebration of the first 50 years of the Company " Ramos Pinto" and the prices was around 195€ -274€ and "Garrafeira Nacional" asks 490€ price and the bottle are not available. Some say is like a blend ranging 1880 -1930 but others have not sure.

https://www.garrafeiranacional.com/ramo ... porto.html
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Tinto alourado translates to "red ale", but a slightly different spelling of "tinto aloirado" translates to "auburn."

Which leads me to guess that this may have been a tawny Port meant for the Brazilian market? That would also make sense if it were a celebratory Port for the company's first 50 years.

Either way (a basic/mid-level Ruby, or a tawny bottled in 1930), Andy is correct. It'll probably still drink okay, but I wouldn't hope for greatness.

For what it's worth, Garrafeira Nacional is a great resource for finding rare Port, but their prices tend to be extremely high. The value of this bottle probably comes entirely from its rarity and not from the quality of the Port, though, so for the right buyer it could be worth G.N. prices.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
For what it's worth, Garrafeira Nacional is a great resource for finding rare Port, but their prices tend to be extremely high. The value of this bottle probably comes entirely from its rarity and not from the quality of the Port, though, so for the right buyer it could be worth G.N. prices.
There is a reason G.N. still has this for sale...no one in their right mind wants to spend that kind of money for it. That says a lot right there. :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
There is a reason G.N. still has this for sale...no one in their right mind wants to spend that kind of money for it. That says a lot right there. :lol:
Yeah there's a big difference between a listing and a sale, amirite? :wink:
Glenn Elliott
h booger

Post by h booger »

Thanks Glen for your words.

I not know if this edition comes out for the Brazilian Market. Each label have a different number in front of the words " Tinto Alourado Doce".

From what I see usually prices for Garrafeira Nacional are 50 - 67% above than the auction houses. Maybe fair value for this bottle will be around 100- 160€ range ?
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

h booger wrote:Maybe fair value for this bottle will be around 100- 160€ range ?
I suspect that it has no real value, other than as a collector's item. As the others have said, it appears to be a basic level Port which would not have been intended to be aged. As such, its contents probably will not have done well over the years. The Port is probably still drinkable, but it probably will not be anything special when it is opened.

But as I said before, if you can find someone who is interested in this bottle as a collector's item, there's no telling what they might pay for it. There's even some chance, albeit low, that Ramos Pinto themselves might be interested in it for historical purposes. It's very hard to say, but I wouldn't get my hopes up about making any real money off of this bottle.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

For context, I'd pay no more than about 30 Euros for it, just out of curiosity sake.

To add to what Glenn mentioned, Ramos Pinto was the largest wine importer to South America in the early 1900's, Brazil being their biggest market. So it would make sense this was probably earmarked for that market.
h booger

Post by h booger »

30€ is too low but if someone give offer for 100€ make a sell :) ... I have more than one bottle.

My guess price comes for the fact some bottles of "Tinto aloirado doce" like Century Port 1845-1945 J.H. Andersen are selling around 136€ on auctions. I not expect to much about price and quality of this bottles, only because are mark bottles of the celebration of the 50th anniversary have some value.

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/109 ... ttle-72-cl