Times & cellars have changed/evolved your oldest bottle of VP & Colheita are?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Luc Gauthier

Re: Times & cellars have changed/evolved your oldest bottle of VP & Colheita are?

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Like Fred said : VP times in Montreal are tough (nothing new , prices still outrageous )
cellar size, no change
oldest VP 1978 Pocas Jr.
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Mads Barnkob

Re: Times & cellars have changed/evolved your oldest bottle of VP & Colheita are?

Post by Mads Barnkob »

1966 Croft VP and 1959 Blandy Bual Madeira
R Bull

Post by R Bull »

1900 Krohn, 1935 Niepoort Colheita and 1945 Croft
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

1937 Q do Noval Colheita and 1955 Taylor VP.
Jose Castro

Post by Jose Castro »

Hi

I just Buy these three sweet bootles last week:

http://www.thirsty-cat.com/product/grah ... heita-1969

http://www.thirsty-cat.com/product/grah ... tawny-1952

http://www.thirsty-cat.com/product/mess ... -port-1947

But I was really enthusiast when I went to my friends Farm in Douro region and I taste a old port wine he kept in basement from 1850's was a tremendous flavour never taste nothing like that...
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jose Castro wrote:Hi

I just Buy these three sweet bootles last week:

http://www.thirsty-cat.com/product/grah ... heita-1969

http://www.thirsty-cat.com/product/grah ... tawny-1952

http://www.thirsty-cat.com/product/mess ... -port-1947

But I was really enthusiast when I went to my friends Farm in Douro region and I taste a old port wine he kept in basement from 1850's was a tremendous flavour never taste nothing like that...
Very nice Ports! And [welcome.gif] to the forum. Would you mind giving us a small introduction about yourself please.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Got a 1900 Constantino Colheita.
Ivan Madsen

Post by Ivan Madsen »

Taylor 1863 Single Harvest Port and VP Grahams Vintage 1948

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Earlier this year got an unexpected result, courtesy of some hopeless cataloguing by a Scottish auction house that know everything about whisky - and nothing besides..

Two 1815s and three 1847s from a shipper in Gaia called Antonio Taveira - and no, I've no idea who he was either..
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote:Earlier this year got an unexpected result, courtesy of some hopeless cataloguing by a Scottish auction house that know everything about whisky - and nothing besides..

Two 1815s and three 1847s from a shipper in Gaia called Antonio Taveira - and no, I've no idea who he was either..
Nice
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Oldest Colheita's are a half case of 1853 Whitwhams Millennium Port & next a half case + of 1970 Niepoort Colheita. Oldest VP's are a few cases of varied 1963's. I thought there were a couple of 1955's, but I can't be sure on that... [shrug.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Al B. wrote:I just had a proper look through my cellar records. Back in October last year I hosted a group of port loving friends for a horizontal of 1963 ports to celebrate my 50th birthday. Between them they gave me a number of gifts, including 2 bottles of Burmester 1863 colheita - one of which was opened and shared! The other is the oldest bottle of colheita that I own.

I have a handful of bottles which are older than this, but they are generally unknowns and could be colheita, vintage, LBV or even Madeira!
I thought it worth giving this topic a nudge. My oldest wines haven't changed - still the 1863 Burmester.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Picked up a 1920 Delaforce a few months back.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

1820 Ferreira I stumbled across one day at auction. No one else bid on it, so I couldn't let it go unsold.

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:1820 Ferreira I stumbled across one day at auction. No one else bid on it, so I couldn't let it go unsold.

Save it for a few years, we can do 1820, 1920 and 2020 when it comes out...
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1955 Taylor Fladgate VP
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

My now oldest VP is a 1948 Burmester
My oldest white colheita is the Dalva Golden 1971 and my oldest red colheita is a Niepoort 1983
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Oldest VP - 1963 Fonseca and Graham's. My 1948 Taylor was consumed a few years ago at an FTLOP tasting [cheers.gif]
Oldest Colheita - 1900 Niepoort Colheita
Oldest White Colheita - 1952 Dalva Golden White
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn E. wrote:Mine have changed a bit. I now have a 1948 Graham VP, but my collection of 1937s are still my oldest Colheitas.
Still changing! My Grahams vertical now goes back to 1945. And while my 1937 Colheitas are technically still my oldest for this question, I have two S. Leonardo "100" Very Old Tawny Ports that are older (on average) but aren't Colheitas. I have also now added a pair of 1875 D'Oliveiras Malvasia Madeira which are my oldest wines.

I had a chance to buy a DR 1885 Colheita but didn't, and I think that was a mistake. Should have bought one. I also had a chance to buy a Krohn (err... "Taylor") 1863 Colheita, and while the price was reasonable for what it is, I just couldn't pay that much for one bottle of Port. Roughly $2500 IIRC.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

consumed my 1812 about 1.5 years ago, now an 1820 Ferreira is my oldest.....and waiting until 2020 to open it :)

My oldest white is a toss up. I have a NV Martinez XSR 120. In 1970 the Cockburn's lodge cellar book showed this as a very old Port at that time, though the exact age is unknown. It was, though, in 1983 the oldest and finest White Port in the Cockburn cellar. It was also "Douro Matured". I asked Darryl Corti about it earlier this year, as he was the sole USA importer and seller of this in 1983 after he stumbled across it that year in the Cockburn's tasting room while looking for other Ports to import. He said there was actually two versions of it in the Cockburn's cellar, a dry version and a sweeter version. Given the right setting I will open my bottle and hope for the best.