Port Basics: by another Seattleite

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Port Basics: by another Seattleite

Post by Roy Hersh »

An article that presents the basics on Port wine: http://winefolly.com/review/what-is-port-wine/

You be the judge. [berserker.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Port Basics: by another Seattleite

Post by Glenn E. »

Some good content there. Also some... weird... content. I don't really have time to fully digest it right now, but I definitely want to come back and re-read it again later.
Glenn Elliott
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

And very pleasant to read about the drinking temperature of a Port. In my opinion to many drinks their Ports to warm.
Ofcourse difficult during the summer to keep the juice cold, but try to keep it just below roomtemperature.

AEL
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

AEL, that is absolutely correct, especially for wood-aged Ports.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Thanks Roy. I was corrected last week on a Danish Portsite. I opend an old White Port (Barros). My guess Maby 40-50 years old, and I enjoyed it cooled.

A response was to drink it at a much higher temperature. Then I would get a more rich sensation.

But I find that too many Ports gets consumed Way to warm.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I prefer mine on the warm side, though it's all relative. "Warm" to me for a Port means ~65 degrees (18 C). I think they're richer and more full at slightly below room temp like that.

"Chilled" to 60 or lower causes the palate to close down for me. Luckily I can just wait a few minutes and they warm (and open) up.
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Some one smart once mentioned to me that it is easier to quickly increase the temperature of wine than it is to reduce it.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I prefer them to be chilled and to show how they morph once rethermalizing and becoming more viscous and aromatically profound. I do like them to be just above cellar temp to start with and then come closer to 65 degrees, for White and wood-aged Ports, Vintage ... 62-65 degrees to start with.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:Some one smart once mentioned to me that it is easier to quickly increase the temperature of wine than it is to reduce it.
Yes, just cup it in the palm of your hand to quickly warm it up.

I've stuck the bottle or decanted into a cooler type box that I then put some reusable chiller packs around the bottle or decanter. It keeps it cool relative to how close you put the chiller packs. Touching the bottle gets it really cold, a slight space keeps it around cellar temp. Works really good.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

Interesting subject. We had a game night last weekend and I served the current "house" port , the 10YO Graham Tawny. I served it at ~60 and it warmed up a bit while sipping. The three of us who drink port thought it was just right. My number one son though said "I just don't get it". It lead me to think perhaps he is looking at it from the wrong perspective. Port is not a wine to drink, but sip. In fact I've noticed the less I put in my mouth at a time the better I can really taste and enjoy it. It reminded me of fine tokaji eszencia, it is often served with crystal spoons. While perhaps a 10yo Tawny is not worthy of such devotion, I can think of many others that are.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Edward J wrote:Port is not a wine to drink, but sip.
I've said something similar to distinguish between rubies (drink) and tawnies (sip), but I agree with your point as well.

One glass of an old Colheita or TWAIOA can last me all evening, but I can drink 2-3 glasses of LBV during dinner. (And then a glass of Tawny for dessert!)
Glenn Elliott
A dschus

Post by A dschus »

Glenn E. wrote:I prefer mine on the warm side, though it's all relative. "Warm" to me for a Port means ~65 degrees (18 C). I think they're richer and more full at slightly below room temp like that.

"Chilled" to 60 or lower causes the palate to close down for me. Luckily I can just wait a few minutes and they warm (and open) up.
I'm with you, Glenn. The cooler the temperature, the more difficult it is for one's palate to distinguish different nuances and profile. This can easily be tested at home.
- Alex