Port wine cellar construction

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Re: Port wine cellar construction

Post by Moses Botbol »

Tom Archer wrote:What raised the alarm with me was the far poorer ullages of auction lots that had been kept in temperature controlled rooms as opposed to natural cellars.
Tom, interesting you mention this. My wine is in a natural cellar (8ft under ground). We actually use a dehumidifier in the summer and ullage and cork saturation is way lower than conventional wisdom would dictate. I would be hard pressed to change course based on my own experience. Oldest wines in my cellar are approaching 20 years and I can't justify a cooling unit if looking at the wine alone.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Re: Port wine cellar construction

Post by Eric Menchen »

Tom, my cooling may not be typical, but I'm happy with it. I built my own controller which I can program. I did this because my cellar actually has two zones, with a fan between them. My chilling unit is cycling a fair amount to keep the "beer" side just below 45. I should probably tweak the programming to cycle a little less frequently.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk