Vintage Port Production Numbers

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Will ONeil

Vintage Port Production Numbers

Post by Will ONeil »

I have searched the web, have searched this site and have found very little on VP production numbers.

Mainly interested in production numbers from 1963 to present, does anyone have some data on this or a location online that does? [shok.gif]

Much appreciated

Will
Eric Menchen

Re: Vintage Port Production Numbers

Post by Eric Menchen »

I know there have been some threads on this site about the beneficio numbers (the amount officially allowed to be produced), so that might be something to search for. And I think one of our UK members might have some historical statistics as well. I recall some discussions on this in the past.

For recent numbers, the IVDP web site is a good place to start:
http://www.ivdp.pt/pagina.asp?codPag=73 ... 6&idioma=1
http://www.ivdp.pt/pagina.asp?codPag=74 ... 6&idioma=1
Will ONeil

Post by Will ONeil »

Thanks Eric for the info but i am really just interested in the production numbers as in how many cases of VP Fonseca, Dow, Graham, etc., have been produced in 1963, 1970, 1994, etc.

[help.gif]
Will ONeil

Post by Will ONeil »

Bump

[foilhat.gif]

[shok.gif]

[beg.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Will ONeil wrote:Thanks Eric for the info but i am really just interested in the production numbers as in how many cases of VP Fonseca, Dow, Graham, etc., have been produced in 1963, 1970, 1994, etc.

[help.gif]
I don't think you'll ever get an accurate number other than an estimate for the pre-1975 VP's. Simply as back then most was shipped in casks to merchants who then bottled it and sold it as they saw fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Will ONeil wrote:Thanks Eric for the info but i am really just interested in the production numbers as in how many cases of VP Fonseca, Dow, Graham, etc., have been produced in 1963, 1970, 1994, etc.

[help.gif]
For post ~ '90 numbers, if it was reviewed by Wine Spectator, that info was often included with the review. It was hit or miss whether it was included in the '90s, since then it's included in pretty much every review.
-Brad

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Will,

May I inquire why you are so curious about this?

Thanks,

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Will ONeil

Post by Will ONeil »

Thanks for the replies

Having the production numbers would be purely for fun :D

I am going to use a program that tracks my cellar for me and one of the categories will be total production.
I would also like to know how exclusive a particular bottle of port is, am I drinking a bottle one of 100,000 or one of 3,000. :yumyum:
How many 1963 bottles of Dow are maybe still out there? I don't know how many we started with.
With the production numbers on my computer I could watch what the Port Houses are doing year to year with a particular Port

Production numbers just add one more item of interest at least for me

[cheers.gif]
Will ONeil

Post by Will ONeil »

bump
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

It would also be interesting to know of those produced how many were held back by the producers for possible future ex-cellars release
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Edward J wrote:It would also be interesting to know of those produced how many were held back by the producers for possible future ex-cellars release
I doubt that they would want to disclose that kind of information.
Will ONeil

Post by Will ONeil »

Full disclosure would be nice and not hard to do :twocents:
Will ONeil

Post by Will ONeil »

bump

[shrug.gif]
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Full disclosure would be nice and not hard to do
There's a wealth of useful data held by the IVDP that could be published to advantage. It would be nice, for example, to have a monthly bulletin of all the special category ports that have been approved. If, for example, you could see that one of your favourite producers had just had a new LBV approved for bottling, you could fire an email off to your usual merchant to reserve a case.

OK, not all approved products are marketed immediately, but it would not be rocket science (or particularly onerous) to record the producer's intentions. A code G might mean general distribution, A code L might indicate late distribution after bottle aging, and perhaps a code R for restricted distribution, such as an own brand bottling for a supermarket chain..

- Just another :twocents: :D