Misconceptions- what is your favorite myth about Port?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Scheiny S

Re: Misconceptions- what is your favorite myth about Port?

Post by Scheiny S »

Glenn E. wrote:Gouda is another excellent pairing with Port, especially tawnies.
this is extremely relevant to my interests! smoked gouda and cabernet was the first wine and cheese pairing i ever had, courtesy of a meat and cheese platter on the menu at a local cabaret theater, and smoked gouda has been my favorite cheese ever since. i've had it with the Ruby Reserves i drink most often and haven't liked that much.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Scheiny S wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Gouda is another excellent pairing with Port, especially tawnies.
this is extremely relevant to my interests! smoked gouda and cabernet was the first wine and cheese pairing i ever had, courtesy of a meat and cheese platter on the menu at a local cabaret theater, and smoked gouda has been my favorite cheese ever since. i've had it with the Ruby Reserves i drink most often and haven't liked that much.
I meant normal aged Gouda, not smoked Gouda. I find that smoke flavor doesn't pair all that well with Port of any type, so that may be why you haven't enjoyed smoked Gouda with a Ruby Reserve.
Glenn Elliott
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:16 pm Port is only for after the meal. Nope, various types of Port pairs very well with different foods.

Port and strong cheese (or cigars) is the perfect combo. No way. Any super strong or spicy food or cigar will overwhelm the delicate nuances of most Ports, as they will with almost every other type of wine. And Stilton with Port is a horrible combo, IMO.
I only just found out about not- blue Stiltons. I don't know if they'll go with Port, but I'm excited to try them.
John M.

Post by John M. »

The right blue cheese with an LBV is a great pairing IMHO.

The NJ Port Club always has Cave Aged Cheddar which seems to go with all Ports.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Port should be served in little tiny thimble glasses. I've had this happen even at high end restaurants with an otherwise good Somm [dash1.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:28 pm Port should be served in little tiny thimble glasses. I've had this happen even at high end restaurants with an otherwise good Somm [dash1.gif]
Oh 100% yes!! Almost every time I have to request a large wine glass....and if I get a fuzzy look I explain Port is a wine, not a cordial--to be properly enjoyed it needs a swirl and twirl.
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

John M. wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:21 am
Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:28 pm Port should be served in little tiny thimble glasses. I've had this happen even at high end restaurants with an otherwise good Somm [dash1.gif]
Oh 100% yes!! Almost every time I have to request a large wine glass....and if I get a fuzzy look I explain Port is a wine, not a cordial--to be properly enjoyed it needs a swirl and twirl.
Even better when ordered at the bar; more likely to get a red wine pour, especially if a big tip on the first glass. [cheers.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars