Savory&James

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Scheiny S

Savory&James

Post by Scheiny S »

does anyone know Savory and James? this gift set is in PA liquor stores right now. those glasses are too small for Port, right? would they work for Sherry?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Savory&James

Post by Andy Velebil »

Can you get a picture or post who the producer/bottler is? Should be in small letters on the front of back label. That would help a lot.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

At least some web hits suggests there is a South African Savory & James, but this label that I found looks similar to the above and is for a product produced in Portugal.
321429.jpg
321429.jpg (23.85 KiB) Viewed 3265 times
I can see a large V for the quinta name, but can't make out the producer name. And even if I did, it wouldn't be uncommon for a brand like this to change producers from time to time.
Last edited by Eric Menchen on Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

The glasses look like Grappa glasses
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:At least some web hits suggests there is a South African Savory & James, but this label that I found looks similar to the above and is for a product produced in Portugal.
321429.jpg
I can see a large V for the quinta name, but can't make out the producer name. And even if I did, it wouldn't be uncommon for a brand like this to change producers from time to time.
Looks like it says Quinta Vineyards and Bottlers. So that would be TFP who makes it for them.

As for the glasses, yes more Grappa than Port. Though I have seen them used for Port...and IMO not a good glass for Port.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Eric Menchen wrote:At least some web hits suggests there is a South African Savory & James, but this label that I found looks similar to the above and is for a product produced in Portugal.
321429.jpg
Looks like it says Quinta Vineyards and Bottlers. So that would be TFP who makes it for them.

As for the glasses, yes more Grappa than Port. Though I have seen them used for Port...and IMO not a good glass for Port.
Fine print appears to read:

Made by [something... Historic?] [something... Standards?]
Produced and bottled by Quinta and Vineyard Bottlers Vinhos S. A.
Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal, expressly for Savory & James Ltd.
Product of Portugal
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
321429.jpg

Fine print appears to read:

Made by [something... Historic?] [something... Standards?]
Produced and bottled by Quinta and Vineyard Bottlers Vinhos S. A.
Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal, expressly for Savory & James Ltd.
Product of Portugal
Glenn,
The "Produced and bottled by Quinta Vineyards and Bottlers" means it was made and bottled by The Fladgate Partnership.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:The "Produced and bottled by Quinta Vineyards and Bottlers" means it was made and bottled by The Fladgate Partnership.
Which, to get back to the original question ... I would take that being produced by TFP is a good thing. It is still a basic ruby Port, but the product of a good company. I would not expect it to be total crap.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:The "Produced and bottled by Quinta Vineyards and Bottlers" means it was made and bottled by The Fladgate Partnership.
Which, to get back to the original question ... I would take that being produced by TFP is a good thing. It is still a basic ruby Port, but the product of a good company. I would not expect it to be total crap.
Being a basic Ruby BOB, it may just be semi-crap then? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Glenn,
The "Produced and bottled by Quinta Vineyards and Bottlers" means it was made and bottled by The Fladgate Partnership.
Yes, I know, I was just reporting the full text of the label as much as I could read it.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:Yes, I know, I was just reporting the full text of the label as much as I could read it.
I didn't have a good "Zoom in and enhance" capability. Thank you.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Yes, I know, I was just reporting the full text of the label as much as I could read it.
I didn't have a good "Zoom in and enhance" capability. Thank you.
Neither did I. ;-)

Sometimes these old eyes still function pretty well.
Glenn Elliott
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Eric Menchen wrote:
Being a basic Ruby BOB, it may just be semi-crap then? Lol
not being total crap, then, think it's worth a try for the price if i can't find a better Ruby? a friend of mine makes Glugg every year, last year was the first year i was able to try it. he used American Taylor 'port'. i'd love to get something better. i wish i could find Quevedo Ruby, jerk liquor stores...

here's a recipe for Glugg if anyone is curious. it's basically mulled wine using a dry red, Port, and brandy.
http://www.fiddaman.info/julienews/2005/glugg.htm
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Scheiny S wrote:not being total crap, then, think it's worth a try for the price if i can't find a better Ruby? a friend of mine makes Glugg every year, last year was the first year i was able to try it. he used American Taylor 'port'. i'd love to get something better. i wish i could find Quevedo Ruby, jerk liquor stores...

here's a recipe for Glugg if anyone is curious. it's basically mulled wine using a dry red, Port, and brandy.
http://www.fiddaman.info/julienews/2005/glugg.htm
I think it would be worth trying for glugg, and better than the American Taylor. I've not made glugg from scratch, just the Ikea stuff. It might be time to try this season.
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

wooooah. last night my friends and i did a tasting of six Rubies: Quevedo, Cockburn, Croft, TF, Maynard's, and this. we did it blind, not even i knew which bottle was which.

this Savory&James won! it was unanimously WotN and by a pretty wide margin. the only other one anyone considered drinkable was Quevedo. TNs incoming, though i don't know that i really have enough recorded about #s 5 and 6, TF and Maynard's.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Scheiny S wrote:wooooah. last night my friends and i did a tasting of six Rubies: Quevedo, Cockburn, Croft, TF, Maynard's, and this. we did it blind, not even i knew which bottle was which.

this Savory&James won! it was unanimously WotN and by a pretty wide margin. the only other one anyone considered drinkable was Quevedo. TNs incoming, though i don't know that i really have enough recorded about #s 5 and 6, TF and Maynard's.
Sounds great--looking forward to the recap & TNs
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Scheiny S wrote:wooooah. last night my friends and i did a tasting of six Rubies: Quevedo, Cockburn, Croft, TF, Maynard's, and this. we did it blind, not even i knew which bottle was which.

I love blind tastings, always fun to see who comes out on top! Look forward to the notes and recap.