Misconceptions- what is your favorite myth about Port?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Scheiny S

Misconceptions- what is your favorite myth about Port?

Post by Scheiny S »

what are your favorite bits of misinformation?

some guy on a dating website told me:

"Port is great, but have you tried cabernet? Basically a port or merlot aged in an oak barrel."

he would know, he's currently making his own cabernet.
i know oak changes flavors, but i didn't know it could change grape varietals and alter chemical makeup.
Tom Archer

Re: Misconceptions- what is your favorite myth about Port?

Post by Tom Archer »

For many years more than one producer marketed Invalid Port as an aid to recuperation.

Then some bossy people decided that anything containing alcohol must be harmful, and the products had to be withdrawn.

I disagree. Alcohol, when not taken to great excess, reduces stress, and stress is extremely harmful, especially when one is suffering from other illness. However, because stress can't be readily measured, the medical profession's number crunchers ignore it.

I therefore conclude that both in sickness and in health, alcohol intake at a level that does not cause other issues is good for you.

- and that therefore, Invalid Port was a valid product..
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

That port is "overly sweet", or "I don't like it" because they had glass of Fairbanks at some house party 20 years ago...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John M.

Post by John M. »

Moses Botbol wrote:That port is "overly sweet", or "I don't like it" because they had glass of Fairbanks at some house party 20 years ago...
+1
Any Port in a storm!
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

A common conversation that I have:

Me: Would you like to try some Port?
Other: No, I had it in college and didn't like it.
Me: What did you have?
Other: I don't remember, but it came from a big jug.
Me: You should try it again. I am willing to bet that I am offering something better than that.

With one exception, everyone who has tried has liked.
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Gary Richardson wrote:Me: Would you like to try some Port?
that was my original experience. it scared me away for three years which would have been longer but a boyfriend and i got a Groupon for a wine flight and the place had Port so we gave it a shot. the only one i recall, and the only one i liked, was Fonseca bin 27. i kept the name in mind but didn't start drinking it with any regularity for several more years.

the people i tried that jug with probably still don't drink it.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Port is only for after the meal. Nope, various types of Port pairs very well with different foods.

Port and strong cheese (or cigars) is the perfect combo. No way. Any super strong or spicy food or cigar will overwhelm the delicate nuances of most Ports, as they will with almost every other type of wine. And Stilton with Port is a horrible combo, IMO.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:And Stilton with Port is a horrible combo, IMO.
IMHO, that depends on the Port, and the Stilton. I get a white Stilton with blueberry, and one with mango and ginger that work with some Ports.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:Port is only for after the meal. Nope, various types of Port pairs very well with different foods.

Port and strong cheese (or cigars) is the perfect combo. No way. Any super strong or spicy food or cigar will overwhelm the delicate nuances of most Ports, as they will with almost every other type of wine. And Stilton with Port is a horrible combo, IMO.
You clearly aren't British enough my lad [beg.gif] .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPPdX00fvrI&t=24m26s

I am merely joking Andy, but the Brits do seem to like their port with some Stilton.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Port is only for after the meal. Nope, various types of Port pairs very well with different foods.

Yes, these! To which I would the "classic" pairing of Port and chocolate.

That said, in both cases (Silton or chocolate) it completely depends on the food. Blue Stilton is terrible with Port because the flavors are too strong and dramatically affect the flavors in the Port, but a young Stilton or even a fruit Stilton is much milder (very similar to white cheddar) and can pair nicely.

Chocolate can be the same... it works as a pairing when the Port is sweeter than the chocolate, so a strong (72%+) dark chocolate can work with a young and vibrant ruby Port.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I think that Tawny Ports "with an indication of age" usually are pretty spectacular with a cigar. Then again, I prefer a great cigar with Madeira if going all out, due to the acidity that keeps things vibrant for both the cigar and wine.

But this thread is about MYTHS and let's focus on that topic.

The old line: "Port is an old man's drink, typically British, and enjoyed after dinner in leather backed chairs and couches in gentlemen's clubs, smoking cigars" is a bit anachronistic. I have seen many women who have loved Port, from their very first sip and some even hundreds of bottles later. And while I know quite a few of them in the UK; I have also met Port loving women from Australia, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Italy, Norway, Israel, China, Canada, America of course and I am probably forgetting a few others. Point being, men "only" is false, British "only" is false, and "old men" is also false, as we have plenty of young men on FTLOP that prove that. As mentioned above, cigars are nice with Port ... but clearly optional. They are best consumed on their own, imo, which includes no interference from food/dessert. Sure they can pair nicely, but never as great as when on their own, imo.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

here in Belgium port is traditionally seen as sweet stuff for women who don't like beer. Most bars have 1 mediocre (a cheap Sandeman, Offley or Amuro ruby) bottle on the shelf that can be open for a very long time.

I guess you can imagine what the standard reaction is here when i start talking about port...
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bert VD wrote:here in Belgium port is traditionally seen as sweet stuff for women who don't like beer. Most bars have 1 mediocre (a cheap Sandeman, Offley or Amuro ruby) bottle on the shelf that can be open for a very long time.

I guess you can imagine what the standard reaction is here when i start talking about port...
They all love it and want lots, Just kidding there..... [rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

i just read this on a review of the Offley 2010 LBV:

"...Good enough to grace the most elaborate Christmas cheeseboard."

of course Port can only be enjoyed at Christmas.

http://www.vinotopiawine.co.uk/fortifie ... port-2007/
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

today someone told me:

"If you like port I strongly recommend trying moscato with a shot of vodka! Very sweet with a bit more kick."

apparently he's only had homemade versions.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Scheiny S wrote:today someone told me:

"If you like port I strongly recommend trying moscato with a shot of vodka! Very sweet with a bit more kick."

apparently he's only had homemade versions.
:shock:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

With Valentine's Day in the recent rear view mirror, the "Port and chocolate is the perfect pairing" thing gets tiresome to read about.

Obviously, loads of people love the combination. [cheers.gif]

I have never been able to fully wrap my head around it though. I've heard others here, mention that dark chocolate vs. milk chocolate goes better with LBV/VP vs. Tawny/Colheita but having tried all the combinations, I have just come to the conclusion that maybe it's just me that doesn't like any of these together. I am clearly in the vast minority, as around the aforementioned holiday, there is never a shortage of articles on this topic.

[shrug.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Gary Richardson wrote:A common conversation that I have:

Me: Would you like to try some Port?
That made me smile. I usually follow the conversation with "Here, have a glass of this instead. Is that more the sort of thing you like?"

And on the story of port & stilton. It is true that Port & Stilton is a traditional British pairing. What's not well known is that this pairing goes back in literature to the mid 18th century, when port was unfortified and Stilton was a hard, full cream but white cheese. I really dislike Port with blue stilton as I find the power of the blue cheese just overwhelms the fruit and flavours of the port. However, I quite enjoy Port with a white stilton where the dryness and acidity of the cheese accentuates the fruit and sweetness of the Port.

In general, if I want to pair cheese with Port (which I generally don't, I prefer to drink my Port with steak or tomato based foods) I will go for a hard white cheese like cheddar, comte or jarlsberg.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have rarely had this combination Al, but a high quality Havarti has been wonderful the few times I've had it with Port wine.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Gouda is another excellent pairing with Port, especially tawnies.
Glenn Elliott