VP in a brown bottle??

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

VP in a brown bottle??

Post by John M. »

Just got done decanting for tonight's tasting and discovered my 1996 Sao Pedro is in a brown bottle, whereas the 2000 is the more traditional dark green/black. I don't recall seeing VP in a brown bottle. Have you?
Any Port in a storm!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: VP in a brown bottle??

Post by Roy Hersh »

Although there were some in green bottles, due to the shortage of black glass towards the end of WW2, most VPs were produced in brown glass for the majority of the 1945 vintage.

Earlier today, I posted a photo of mags on the FOR THE LOVE OF PORT's Facebook page and in it, you'll see that the 1994 Niepoort VP in magnum was bottled in brown glass too. Although not particularly common, other examples throughout history do exist as well.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

There are some current release ports which are being bottled in very dark brown glass - or at least on the borderline between green and brown. Ferreira is one which comes to mind.

I'd say that of the bottles I take for recycling, roughly 2 in 10 go in the brown bin.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I opened a Noval 1994 on Tuesday. This came out of a bottle that was very, very dark brown glass.