How do I run a Port tasting?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Scheiny S

How do I run a Port tasting?

Post by Scheiny S »

i posted to my Fb about the $37 Taylor Fladgate and Fonseca 2011 VP half bottles asking whether anyone wanted to split one with me? i was hoping for one or two replies and didn't expect anyone to bite.

half a dozen people did!
now i'm going to get a half bottle of each and am planning my first real tasting. what do i need to do? what do i need to know??

we're aiming for sometime next week or the following.
we're probably going to go to a BYOB restaraunt.
if we use someone's house i'll say BYOGlasses and recommend white wine glasses.
i'm the most experienced Port drinker involved and my experience is mostly Reserves with a few LBVs.

someone suggested including a run-of-the-mill Port as a 'control', so we can see how VPs differ from less expensive styles. i like that idea a lot. are there any you particularly recommend? or even just any style you recommend for that?

i need to know everything about leading the evening.

i've never prepared a VP.
how long should i decant?
the bottles are small and young, will i need to strain for sediment?
how much can i expect to lose from straining?
is there anything else to it?

should i use a bar tool or shot glass to measure pours or just eyeball it? [ugh, if we bring our own glasses i don't want to eyeball it.]

should i give a crash course on TNs and ask them to write them? i want to write one for each.
i've written a few TNs thanks to guidance from you fine folks. i use the template provided here by John M. seeing all the options helps me suss out the different scents and flavors.
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... 64#p127915
is there anything i should add or remove from that for this tasting?
or should i approach it entirely differently?

how do we clear our palette between Ports?

should we have the VPs or the 'control' first?

is there anything particular i should say to the restaraunt when i call to set it up? especially if there's secret restaraunt jargon i can use.

i'm sure there are other questions i haven't even thought of. please let me know.
Last edited by Scheiny S on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: How do I run a Port tasting?

Post by Glenn E. »

Congratulations! Hosting a Port tasting is a lot of fun, and it doesn't have to be a lot of work.

I think you have a good scope for your first tasting - keep it reasonably small and simple. Don't try to host a 12-person, 16-bottle tasting the first time!

White wine glasses work fine for Port if you don't have Port glasses. Don't let a restaurant convince you to use cordials, though - they're too small and not really suitable for Port. (Many restaurants in the US serve Port in cordials. I send it back and ask for it to be served in a white wine glass.)

If you want to use a "control" Port, then either Fonseca bin 27 or Taylor's First Estate seems appropriate in this case. Or both! As Ruby Reserves, they should be pretty inexpensive. And it should be very easy to see and taste the difference.

2011 Vintage Ports are still extremely young, so typically need a very long decant. I would recommend at least 8 hours, and I doubt they would be harmed by 12 hours. That gives you the opportunity to decant them when you get up in the morning so that they'll be ready for the tasting that evening. You probably won't have to strain for any sediment, though it is possible. Just pour carefully when decanting and when you're down to the last ounce or so watch closely. If you start to see sediment, stop pouring into the decanter. Or if you want to strain and have appropriate equipment (funnel, filter or unbleached cheesecloth), go ahead and do that. When I carefully hand decant a bottle I typically lose an once... maybe an ounce and a half. (Um... 30-50 ml I think?) So it's not bad, provided you haven't disturbed the bottle too much while removing the cork.

If you're doing bring-your-own-glassware you should probably have some way to measure the pours unless there are few enough people that it won't matter. Half bottles contain 4 full servings of Port (3 oz or ~90 ml), but for a tasting you really only need half servings (1.5 oz or ~45 ml). It's not too difficult to eyeball, even with different glasses, if you pour them all at the same time. But if you're going to pass the bottle around the table, a shot glass or cordial (hey! I found a use for those stupid glasses at restaurants!) is probably a good idea.

John's template in that thread is a good one. My own personal number scale is in there as well. When I take a note I use a process similar to John's - I make notes for the color (appearance), nose (smell), palate (taste), and finish (aftertaste). There's no magic to writing a tasting note - just write down what you perceive about each of those four categories! There is no wrong answer. As a famous sommelier once supposedly said when asked what makes a wine good, "did you like it?" Write down the things you like and the things you don't like. It's that easy! Don't worry about using the "proper" words, either. Those will come with experience. I get teased about mine all the time because I'm not a wine drinker and so never developed a wine palate. So sometimes I say things that don't make sense (or sound bad) to wine drinkers, when for me I meant it as something good. For example I used to note a "damp stone floor" in Port until I learned that "minerals" is a better way to say it. (Damp stone floor makes some wine drinkers think the wine was corked.)

Have some plain bread on hand. It serves as a good palate cleanser, and will also help buffer the alcohol that you're drinking. We usually have about 1/2 baguette per person at our larger tastings.

I don't think there's anything special you need to tell the restaurant. Just make sure they know you'll be bringing several bottles and that they're okay with that. Ask if they charge corkage - a fee many restaurants charge for every bottle of your own that you bring in. It isn't uncommon for corkage to run as high as $25/bottle in the US - they're trying to make back the profit that they're losing by not selling you their own (overpriced) wine off of their wine list.

Most of all - have fun! [yahoo.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Glenn E. wrote:White wine glasses work fine for Port if you don't have Port glasses. Don't let a restaurant convince you to use cordials, though - they're too small and not really suitable for Port. (Many restaurants in the US serve Port in cordials. I send it back and ask for it to be served in a white wine glass.)
i learned that on this forum! on the very rare occasion i order Port out, that's what i specify, too.
Glenn E. wrote:If you want to use a "control" Port, then either Fonseca bin 27 or Taylor's First Estate seems appropriate in this case. Or both! As Ruby Reserves, they should be pretty inexpensive. And it should be very easy to see and taste the difference.
fantastic! i've never seen the Taylor's here but bin 27 is my favorite and is what i usually introduce people to Port with.
Glenn E. wrote:Or if you want to strain and have appropriate equipment (funnel, filter or unbleached cheesecloth), go ahead and do that. When I carefully hand decant a bottle I typically lose an once... maybe an ounce and a half. (Um... 30-50 ml I think?)
i have a funnel and unbleached cheesecloth. i hate to lose an ounce and a half from a half bottle, but good to know that's to be expected.
Glenn E. wrote:It's not too difficult to eyeball, even with different glasses, if you pour them all at the same time. But if you're going to pass the bottle around the table, a shot glass or cordial (hey! I found a use for those stupid glasses at restaurants!) is probably a good idea.
i figure i'll pour because i know i'll be as careful as i can.
though i want to pass the bin 27 to the left and catch someone with the Bishop of Norwich line if i can. :lol:
Glenn E. wrote:Have some plain bread on hand. It serves as a good palate cleanser, and will also help buffer the alcohol that you're drinking. We usually have about 1/2 baguette per person at our larger tastings.
good to know it's that simple. thanks!

this is helpful, thank you!
John M.

Post by John M. »

Congratulations! Sounds great and we'd love to hear how the event was.

I wrote an article in Newsletter 89 on how to organize a Port Club--you may find some helpful info there. Besides bread, have lots of water on hand. I find a spoon of ground coffee in a small glass helps clear my nose as well. PM me if you need TN scoresheets or place-mats (although there is an online version).
Any Port in a storm!
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Seems like you already have most things covered here. I'll add a few more things that I use/do for my tastings.

Remember to stand up the bottles a day before to make the sediment gather in the bottom of the bottle before decanting.
I use IKEA glass bottles with a reusable close clasp to decant into and bring to tastings. (They go in the dish washer)
The IKEA glass bottles are also really good if you are doing a blind tasting and they are inexpensive.
Don't get flustered if a cork breaks. Get the remains out and sift it through your cheese cloth.
I ask for advice for decant times all the time. It is really sad not to allow the port to show its best side.
I always make placemats and pages for the participants to make taste notes on.
Also bring pencils or pens for the notes
I have bought 2 plastic spit/buckets which people use to spit or for cleaning their glass with water between wines (especially if you don't have 10+ glasses for everyone)
Make sure the empty port bottles are brought as people want to take pictures etc.
Sometimes I prepare a few words about the houses, the style etc. for the participants. People are always eager to learn more.
Don't reveal prices until everything is said and done. It clouds peoples judgement of the wines.
Remember to enjoy yourself and have other people help out with the practicalities.

Cheers
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I'm not even going to read the other replies to make sure there is no bias in mine. I may be repetitive.
Scheiny S wrote:i posted to my Fb about the $37 Taylor Fladgate and Fonseca 2011 VP half bottles asking whether anyone wanted to split one with me? i was hoping for one or two replies and didn't expect anyone to bite.

half a dozen people did!
now i'm going to get a half bottle of each and am planning my first real tasting. what do i need to do? what do i need to know??
I think 16 people is the most you can support from a 750ml bottle of Port. So 6-8 is a reasonable number for your half bottles.
we're aiming for sometime next week or the following.
we're probably going to go to a BYOB restaraunt.
if we use someone's house i'll say BYOGlasses and recommend white wine glasses.
And I can't comment too much on a BYOB restaurant because that isn't an option for me in Colorado. I've been to tastings elsewhere that were at a restaurant and those went well. I've hosted tastings at my house where people bring glasses, and I've also rented glasses ($0.50/each) for bigger tastings. If you go to a restaurant, you might want to see how many glasses they supply. It is really nice to taste things side-by-side, so you don't want to have to finish off one sample to taste the next. If you're having four things, four glasses. More than that you could split into flights, but I still like having glasses for everything.
i'm the most experienced Port drinker involved and my experience is mostly Reserves with a few LBVs.
No worries about that whatsoever. You know much more than the average person, and even if you didn't, it's a learning experience for everyone. I like to teach people, but I learn something at every tasting as well.
someone suggested including a run-of-the-mill Port as a 'control', so we can see how VPs differ from less expensive styles. i like that idea a lot. are there any you particularly recommend? or even just any style you recommend for that?
Great idea. Throw in a basic ruby (maybe), reserve, and/or LBV. You can even get half bottles of these if you are worried about the budget. Noval is my favorite basic ruby, and I actually like the Broadbent Auction Reserve a lot more than Graham's Six Grapes, but the latter is probably a good recommendation for a tasting as it is readily available all over. A comparison tasting on this forum picked the Taylor First Estate as a favorite reserve, so if you can find that, it might be thematic with the Taylor VP. LBV? Dow's is common, but see what is available near you. One of my local(ish) stores carries Smith Woodhouse regularly.
i need to know everything about leading the evening.
Don't worry.
i've never prepared a VP.
how long should i decant?
the bottles are small and young, will i need to strain for sediment?
how much can i expect to lose from straining?
is there anything else to it?
Good question. Those young VPs would call for a long decant. I would try for at least 12 hours. I would keep the bottles upright for some days and pour off of sediment. Strain? Hmmm. I would probably use my funnel that has a very fine screen on it. A few layers of cheesecloth in a funnel can work too. I don't recall the last time I decanted something that young, but I would be prepared for at least some sediment. But I don't think you will lose that much volume. My 16 people figure for a 750ml assumes sediment loss. Decant, rinse the bottles, and hours later, you can pour back into the bottles for transport if necessary. (Although if you are going to a restaurant, make sure they can let you bring in an opened bottle.)
should i use a bar tool or shot glass to measure pours or just eyeball it? [ugh, if we bring our own glasses i don't want to eyeball it.]
I've always eyeballed it. But if you have a lot of different glasses, a measured glass might be a good idea.
should i give a crash course on TNs and ask them to write them? i want to write one for each.
i've written a few TNs thanks to guidance from you fine folks. ...
Depending on your audience, I would probably skip this. When I've hosted tastings with "newbies", I've provided a placement and/or program with the wines (or beers, I've hosted a number of beer tastings) listed, and space for writing. If people want to take notes, they can. I try to take notes, which sometimes spurs a conversation about that.
how do we clear our palette between Ports?
Bread (pretty plain) or crackers, and water. Not exciting. The more exciting things can be more distracting and less effective.
should we have the VPs or the 'control' first?
Very tough call. These will all be pretty flavorful. I think you should build to the VP. But that in itself may give a bias. Blind and random? Maybe not.
is there anything particular i should say to the restaraunt when i call to set it up? especially if there's secret restaraunt jargon i can use.
I can't comment on that one.
i'm sure there are other questions i haven't even thought of. please let me know.
Sound like a great idea. Don't worry too much and enjoy [cheers.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Scheiny,

Can you please list in order the Ports that you will be serving that night?

Or just the two 2011 VPs?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Roy Hersh wrote:Hi Scheiny,

Can you please list in order the Ports that you will be serving that night?

Or just the two 2011 VPs?
the two VPs are
Taylor Fladgate 2011
Fonseca 2011
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

i'm going to have a few wine tasting books there, too. I've gotte Jancis Robinson's How to Taste from the library and i have an old wine guide or two my parents gave me when i turned 21. More to show that there are books about this than for anyone to actually read.
feel free to make suggestions about, including nixing, this idea.
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

think this glass is alright? it holds 12oz.

Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

our date is set for Saturday, April 8, by the way!

i've gotten two half bottles of each VP. i picked up the second ones today.
i have 5 people confirmed and several Maybes, so i'll either have one tasting with 8 or 9 people or maybe two tastings with up to five people at each! [and me at both.]

we're doing it on April 8 at a friend's house, so folks will need to BYOGlasses. the glass i posted above was in a box of four for $10 at the liquor store. i realised i don't have three proper glasses, myself, so i grabbed a box. there is still time for me to go to Target or something instead if those aren't a good shape. [they have a rolled lip, which i don't like.]

next week i'll look into placemats or whatever you recommend! i'm pretty excited.

also, today i Google image searched "Port glass" to have an image to show folks the kind of glasses they should hopefully bring and i found an interview with Roy on Catavino.net from 2012! i should have known that a Google search would lead me back here! [cheers.gif]
Last edited by Scheiny S on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

That glass will work, though it's a little large. The shape is fine, though.

As I recall, a Port glass is usually about 7 oz.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

do you think your "premium" catering glass is like my new, cheap 12oz wine glass?
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Your glass looks a little wider and thus more open at the top. What difference that makes, I can't say.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Today is the day!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Good luck, Scheiny!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

a smashing success! i'll post pictures and commentary later.

they all want to do it again, too!
John M.

Post by John M. »

Scheiny S wrote:a smashing success! i'll post pictures and commentary later.

Bravo! Well Done!....yet I am not surprised.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Scheiny S wrote:a smashing success! i'll post pictures and commentary later.
Excellent! And glad to hear it went well. [cheers.gif]