What is the problem with cardboard boxes?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Svein CE

What is the problem with cardboard boxes?

Post by Svein CE »

I have in the last couple of years run out of shelfspace in my cellar, and have used the cardboard boxes with spacers in them lying on the side for storage. Am I doing the wine harm?
The boxes are open to the room.
Tom Archer

Re: What is the problem with cardboard boxes?

Post by Tom Archer »

Remember that all wine should be stored in the dark, so if the boxes are open to the room, be sure the room is not regularly lit.

Aside from that, bear in mind that these cartons are not designed to be laid on their sides and will eventually crush down a little. Worse is that the open end will crush before the base, so is there is a real risk of the bottles eventually sliding out and falling to the floor..

Better to invest in some more wine racks - if you're short of space, double depth racks are very useful..
Svein CE

Post by Svein CE »

Tom Archer wrote:Remember that all wine should be stored in the dark, so if the boxes are open to the room, be sure the room is not regularly lit.

Aside from that, bear in mind that these cartons are not designed to be laid on their sides and will eventually crush down a little. Worse is that the open end will crush before the base, so is there is a real risk of the bottles eventually sliding out and falling to the floor..

Better to invest in some more wine racks - if you're short of space, double depth racks are very useful..
Thank you Tom Archer, that is helpful, but I have read somewhere that the cardboard in itself could taint the wine.
Is this correct?
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

but I have read somewhere that the cardboard in itself could taint the wine
Damp cardboard gets musty - smells in the atmosphere over extended periods might penetrate the bottle - possibly..

If the boxes are dry I wouldn't worry too much.
Svein CE

Post by Svein CE »

Room is dark, it's a wine cellar. Room is dry, it's a modern house. Boxes are sturdy, they are new packing boxes. All should be well.
Thank you Tom Archer.
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

When you leave your purchases in stock at the wine traders cellar, they lie down in there owb too, so why being anxious about it?
When the temperature is constant and the moist is good and the cellar is dark, it shouldn't be a big problem.
I keep almost all my VP, Bordeaux wines, etc in their own wooden box in my cellar, never had a problem. The only problem is when I want to get a bottle out of the lowest case... ;-(
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

One can store them upside down. The only resultant problem is the sediment collects on the cork side. You can eventually place them on their sides when bin space opens up.
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Eric Ifune wrote:One can store them upside down. The only resultant problem is the sediment collects on the cork side. You can eventually place them on their sides when bin space opens up.
i thought exposing the cork to the Port isn't good because the alcohol will decay the cork, possibly allowing air in to spoil the wine?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have stored some bottles of VP upside down for 4 or 5 years, before moving here to WA when I still lived in VA. None leaked, no adverse issues from corks failing. I don't think it would be good for long term cellaring; but you definitely do want wine contact with the cork, except it is not necessary for Madeira. Otherwise, for the health of the cork, (which ultimately IS the health of the wine) you want it to remain in direct contact. Bad things can and will happen when that is not the case, especially over an extended period of time.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I have a case of '80 Ferreira that was shipped and stored upright. The bottles vary from something that looks like 30 year tawny to brilliant bottles that fairly represent this great port.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

It depends on what type of cardboard, IME. I prefer to use 6-pack cardboard for storage in my offsite. Both the small box style and the longer "layflat" (where all 6 bottles are lying side by side in a row). Not only are they easier to lift and move around, but they don't compress and fall apart when stacked like 12-pack cardboard boxes do. The two types of 6-packs are also are easier to put into various spaces in ones cellar to get the most out of your storage space.

So far, I've had no issues with the 6-pack types and would recommend those instead of 12-packs.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I'm with Andy. I've been slowly replacing all my off-site 12 bottle boxes with 6 bottle boxes simply to make better use of the space I have available. They're easier to move and it's easier to stack them so as to fill every little nook and cranny in your storage locker.