Screw caps for Port?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Screw caps for Port?

Post by Roy Hersh »

What categories of Port would you be willing to buy in screw cap?

Ruby, Reserve Ruby, Tawny, Reserve Tawny, LBV, Crusted, Tawny Ports with an indication of age (10/20/30/40/60+), Colheita, White Port, White Colheita, Vintage Port?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: Screw caps for Port?

Post by Moses Botbol »

Any tawny, colheita, or any port that is ready to drink of the retailer's shelf.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Roy Hersh wrote:What categories of Port would you be willing to buy in screw cap?
None. Absolutely none.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Not a big fan of plastic touching my food/drink for an extended period so side towards none. However, I could see the basic wines sold that way, even ruby reserves. After that, no way.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Christian Gollnick wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:What categories of Port would you be willing to buy in screw cap?
None. Absolutely none.
I started to go along with Moses, but then realized that I'm really more in line with you.

Which is to say that if they want to put tawnies, reserve tawnies, rubies, and reserve rubies under screw cap that's fine because I basically don't drink those. But leave the rest under cork (or t-stoppers), thanks.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:Any tawny, colheita, or any port that is ready to drink of the retailer's shelf.
Generally this. In reality, this makes the product far more viable for more people. Especially for bars and restaurants that don't have to deal with corks of any type.

As for the argument about not wanting plastic to touch your wine. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but plastic bins are used to collect the grapes, they go down a rubber conveyor belt, are often then put into a large plastic bin and transported somewhere else where they are then crushed. And that isn't super sanitized food certified stuff like what is used in screw caps. Just saying.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:And that isn't super sanitized food certified stuff like what is used in screw caps. Just saying.
What are you saying, that your feet weren't super sanitized while you were tromping around in the vats??? [shok.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

For standard ports with formats of less than 37.5cL, screw caps are the only practical closure.

However..

I feel that packaging standard Port in bottles that look too much like affordable wine bottles will only serve to draw adverse attention to the higher alcohol content. There needs to be a clear difference in perceived identity between 'Port' and 'Wine'. Using T stoppers places Port in a favourable light as a low alcohol 'Liquor' rather than a high alcohol 'Wine'

I therefore think the use of screw caps on standard bottles would be a significant mistake.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I could see it being used for basic rubies. I wouldn't buy those, not because of the screw cap, but because I can't remember the last time I bought a basic ruby.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I'm in the "anything ready to drink" camp. Sure, aesthetically, a nice wood T-Stopper on an expensive tawny is a nice addition, but there's 0 question that screwcap is the most consistent and high performing closure in the shorter term, and I'm happy to skimp on the looks if it improves consistency of quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Personally, I wouldn't mind any Port, including Vintage, in screw cap. They just have to be the correct screwcap. It actually might be beneficial to have different screwcaps with differing amounts of air egress to vary the rate of aging.
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

I'd prefer screw caps for everything.
That's probably not a surprise to anybody who has looked at my location. I don't have a particularly old collection of wine (cellar tracker says the average Vintage is 2007)
so I'd estimate that about 2/3 of my wine is under screw cap and I am starting to get a fair few bottles that are hitting that decade + mark and I am pretty happy with what I am seeing. The majority of local fortifieds have been under screw cap for over a decade too and I haven't seen any issues there, but I am yet to see something in a Vintage Port style at 20 + years, so that is the last frontier for me. Given what I have seen though I am confident it won't be an issue
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

My only complaint for screw caps in Vintage Ports is the long term storage....and it isn't about what most think. There is one major drawback to screw caps, the metal cap itself. If it gets dinged on the corner it can compromise the seal. We all know VP's hang around and get passed around a fair amount of the course of several decades or more. The odds that that cap will get damaged from handling over such a long period goes up a lot. While no closure is perfect, I still prefer corks for long term aging. The rest of the stuff I don't care what is used.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

The opinion north of the 49th parallel is shared by Andy (I think) [cheers.gif]
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

definitely any pop n pour, though it would negate that fun name. and i would miss the "pop" sound when it's initially opened.
i rarely finish a bottle in a night, and my budget is limited such that i ration my Port so i tend to not even finish a bottle in a week so whatever closure keeps my Port drinkable after being open for several weeks gets my vote.

are screw caps significantly cheaper to produce than t stoppers?
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I once bought three bottles of Graham's "Emperor" Finest Old Tawny at an auction. They came as part of a mixed lot that included a bottle of Calem 1963 I really, really wanted.

I drank them. They were OK. I guess they were bottled in the late '60s or early '70s. They were UK bottled (by Luis Gordon & Sons Ltd). I've no idea how much of an impact the seal had had on the contents, and the bottles were a bit of a chore to drink, but the experience didn't put me off screw caps being used for port.