Auction Errors - What to Expect

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Auction Errors - What to Expect

Post by John M. »

I won several lots of Smith Woodhouse VPs with various years (1985-2000). When they arrived, two were LBVs and one a 13 year old Colheita (2000 bottled in 2013). I emailed the auction house this afternoon but have not heard back yet. Sure this error happens but I've never had it, but am curious what to expect. The shipping back and forth is not worth it to them. I would accept the wines if a reasonable price reduction were made.

I've done business with the house numerous times before and they have always been spot on all the way through.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Auction Errors - What to Expect

Post by Glenn E. »

It will depend on the auction house, but they should honor just about anything reasonable that you suggest. Worst case, they should pay for you to return the entire lot. But as you suggest, that's probably not worth it to them so if you offer them a reasonable price they'll probably just accept it so they don't have to worry about it.

Use Winesearcher to your advantage. Get an estimate of what the lot of all VP would have cost and from that get a ratio to what you paid. Then get an estimate of what the actual delivery would have cost, adjust for the ratio, and then deduct something for your trouble (and the fact that you might not have wanted what you got). That's the maximum you should pay. And unless you really want parts of it, don't be afraid to play hardball. It's their error; they have to make it right.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Wow that sucks and big price differences between their VP and LBV/colheitas. I'd expect they make good on it and I'm sure you'll work out something amicable with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

I was basically going to do what Glenn suggested. I made them a reasonable offer and they accepted. I'm very satisfied. Thank you.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:I was basically going to do what Glenn suggested. I made them a reasonable offer and they accepted. I'm very satisfied. Thank you.
Good to hear.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I'm glad this worked out for you. I had negative experience in a similar situation with some Bordeaux when I was shipped 2005 Rauzan-Gassies instead of the Rauzan-Ségla that was listed. They offered a lower price, but not low enough. (For that year Gassies is about 50% of the price of Ségla.) So they ended up paying for overnight shipping back.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

John M. wrote:I was basically going to do what Glenn suggested. I made them a reasonable offer and they accepted. I'm very satisfied. Thank you.
Glad to hear it! [yahoo.gif]
Glenn Elliott