Lots of new faces ... please introduce yourself

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

Re: Lots of new faces ... please introduce yourself

Post by Al B. »

Ben Cullen wrote:Eric, Andy,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I am indeed in the UK, in South Wales if anyone is else around is interested.

I'm going to attempt to try some variations over the coming months, some Tawny, Colheita, an old vintage around 1970 if my budget can stretch (read convince the wife to let me) some younger VP and try to get my first bottle to lay down.

Outside of supermarkets does anyone in the UK, EU (or anywhere really) have some good sources for purchasing? I've had a quick look online and I'm wary about purchasing from the Web due to trust and shipment issues so any advice will be greatly recieved.

Thanks again.
Ben,
You might like to take a look at an auction house not too far from you called Straker Chadwick in Abergavenny. They have a good track record for finding older bottles which have been reasonably well looked after for the last few decades. Auctions are a good route to acquiring mature port at less than retail price, but you do take a risk that if the bottle is no good you can't return it to the retailer. It's really important that if you buy at auction you are able to look at the bottles and make sure they are not leaking, have sound corks sitting in the neck of the bottles, have good colour and are filled to at least just below the point at which neck meets shoulder.
But it is a good way to buy mature port.

Another option is if you ever come to London there's a group of us who get together once or twice a month to share bottles of port. We're always happy to welcome people new(ish) to the world of port and give you a chance to try a variety of styles and ages to see what you particularly enjoy - and we don't play Wheel of Portune! If work or leisure brings you to London then please let us know through the Travel and Offlines forum.

Welcome to FTLOP.

Alex
rodrigo r

Post by rodrigo r »

Hello,

My name is Rodrigo and I am new here (although I have already posted a couple of times in the past few days).

I am relatively new to Port wine and I am still "building" my collection of Port wines.

I live in Brazil and that certainly doesn't make things easy. It is relatively difficult to find wines other than regular Rubys and Tawnies. And there is also our crazy tax system that makes things cost at least twice as much as in Portugal. Just to exemplify this fact, a bottle of Ramos Pinto 20 year tawny cost around EUR 100, VP is around EUR 200 (even the less known names). So, we have to try to purchase everything abroad (at least the most expensive stuff) and buy only the basic wines in Brazil. Fortunately, there is always someone going to and from Portugal and we can manage to get something at a reasonable price.

Brazilians normally associate Port wine with cheap dessert drinks and only in the past few years we have seen an increase in the interest in better wines. Ramos Pinto is the big name here, followed in a distant second place by Real Companhia Velha. The other names (Graham's, Taylor's, Ferreira, Burmester etc.) have a very restrict distribution network and normally they are found only in wine shops in the big cities.

Regards,

Rodrigo
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

rodrigo r wrote:Hello,

My name is Rodrigo and I am new here (although I have already posted a couple of times in the past few days).

I am relatively new to Port wine and I am still "building" my collection of Port wines.

I live in Brazil and that certainly doesn't make things easy. It is relatively difficult to find wines other than regular Rubys and Tawnies. And there is also our crazy tax system that makes things cost at least twice as much as in Portugal. Just to exemplify this fact, a bottle of Ramos Pinto 20 year tawny cost around EUR 100, VP is around EUR 200 (even the less known names). So, we have to try to purchase everything abroad (at least the most expensive stuff) and buy only the basic wines in Brazil. Fortunately, there is always someone going to and from Portugal and we can manage to get something at a reasonable price.

Brazilians normally associate Port wine with cheap dessert drinks and only in the past few years we have seen an increase in the interest in better wines. Ramos Pinto is the big name here, followed in a distant second place by Real Companhia Velha. The other names (Graham's, Taylor's, Ferreira, Burmester etc.) have a very restrict distribution network and normally they are found only in wine shops in the big cities.

Regards,

Rodrigo
Hi Rodrigo,

[welcome.gif] to the Forum and thanks for the introduction!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
rodrigo r

Post by rodrigo r »

Thanks a lot Andy.

I have been reading a lot the Forum and I am amazed by how much valuable information one can find here.

Regards,
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Rodrigo,

Good to have someone from Brazil actively posting again. It is naturally one of the big markets for Port and as you mentioned Ramos Pinto, it was their largest and oldest market by far. I've heard lots of the stories from your country about the pricing and especially the taxes, but also greed of importers there. I am surprised that you don't see some brands like Quinta do Crasto too, that also does a lot of business in your country. The upscale (or upmarket shops) do carry lots of Port from what the producers tell me and they go over there to trade shows quite often.

I hope you wind up seeing the opportunity to bring wines in from Portugal. While the pricing there is rarely a bargain, you can certainly find things that likely never make their was to Brazil. Thanks for joining us and I hope you will continue to post early and often!

[welcome.gif]

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
rodrigo r

Post by rodrigo r »

Roy Hersh wrote:Hi Rodrigo,

Good to have someone from Brazil actively posting again. It is naturally one of the big markets for Port and as you mentioned Ramos Pinto, it was their largest and oldest market by far. I've heard lots of the stories from your country about the pricing and especially the taxes, but also greed of importers there. I am surprised that you don't see some brands like Quinta do Crasto too, that also does a lot of business in your country. The upscale (or upmarket shops) do carry lots of Port from what the producers tell me and they go over there to trade shows quite often.

I hope you wind up seeing the opportunity to bring wines in from Portugal. While the pricing there is rarely a bargain, you can certainly find things that likely never make their was to Brazil. Thanks for joining us and I hope you will continue to post early and often!

[welcome.gif]

Roy
Hi Roy,

Thanks a lot for your message. You are right when you mention the greed of local importers . Sometimes a wine costs 3x, 4 x the prices in Portugal and that cannot be explained only by local taxes.

Quinta do Crasto is a big name on regular Douro wines in Brazil. It is widely available all over the country. However, Quinta do Crasto Port is a lot more difficult to find. I saw some LBV on the market but this is quite unusual.

Regards,

Rodrigo
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Rodrigo,

I was speaking with Miguel Roquette earlier today. He is the son of the owner. He is the sales and marketing guy and his brother is one of the Crasto's uber-talented winemakers. Miguel along with his spouse and child, currently live in Brazil and that is the #1 reason why your country has seen such a major influx of Crasto table wines in the past few years.

My opinion of Crasto's Ports is that their LBV Ports are amongst the best in the category. Their Vintage Ports are always quite good, but rarely have ever been what I'd consider to be great. They are improving though, as recently their has been more of an emphasis to improve their Ports. We shall see, but I do believe it will still take a few more vintages for that to happen. It is good to have something to strive for, as their Douro wines are about as good as any portfolio of wines, in any region of Portugal. That is saying a mouthful.

My advice to you is buy and enjoy the LBVs of Crasto and you will be very pleased, as their Unfiltered style also offers the rare dynamic (with LBVs) that some are bottled in 4 years, others in 5 and still other vintages after 6 years in cask. Some Port shippers just opt for the minimum 4 years "by recipe" but that's not the case with Crasto, and while there are a handful of other examples, where producers age theirs longer, if you can find a fair price for these LBVs, in my opinion, you will be very happy with your purchase. They age well, (I am still drinking 1996s) and you can't beat the price, at least here in the USA.

What do you have to pay for a current LBV there?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
rodrigo r

Post by rodrigo r »

Hi Roy,

I just had a bottle of Quinta do Crasto Vinha Maria Teresa 2007 and it was awesome. This guys definitely know what they are doing.

Currently, Quinta do Crasto LBV 2008, for example, can be found for about EUR 75 in the local market. Crazy.

It is possible to find Fonseca, Cockburn's and Taylor's LBV, just to name a few, for about EUR 35. So, Quinta do Crasto might be having a hard time to sell their Port in Brazil.

Anyway, next time I am in Portugal, I'll surely try them!

Thanks a lot,

Rodrigo
John M.

Post by John M. »

Hi Rodrigo;

Welcome! Feel for your pricing woes. I can get Crasto LBVs here for $17/bottle if I buy a case---which I do annually. Rock solid and cheaper than some Ruby Reserves...plus they age nicely.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Hi Rodrigo, welcome to FTLOP!

That's a crazy price for a Crasto LBV. They do focus more on their LBVs in their Port lineup so they're very good, but that's a VP price not an LBV price!

Even EUR 35 for the others seems a little expensive compared to here in the US.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn, you have no idea what goes on with pricing of the wines and Ports in Brazil. This is not uncommon in the least! Sadly.

Between ridiculous, almost punitive luxury taxes and greedy importers, Brazil's market is becoming only within the reach of the rich and famous. [dash1.gif]
jf rouette

Post by jf rouette »

Good day everybody
Im a new forum member here and a FTLOP subscriber. :ftlop:
I am sadly from Montreal Quebec Canada where good VP is hard to find and pricing is ridiculous [dash1.gif]
Im building slowly my port collection of VP while drinking colheita in the mean time.
Best VP to date was Grahams 1970 that was opened a few weeks back, Luckily we still have a few of those left, but my collection is mainly 96-00-03-11 [help.gif]
Theres hardly any port from 70-80-90 available here and if theres any they pop at 200$+ each.
Anyway thats it for now and I enjoy reading the forum with all the knowledge that is shared here its pretty awesome. Love the newsletter and the travel descriptions
If anyone has a contact with Elchapo tunnel guys let me know, we could build a tunnel from Usa to Canada [yahoo.gif]
Have a good day all and as we say over her .... In Port We Trust ! :winepour:
In Port We Trust !
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Good to see you join us here JF, and you'll find the many fine participants are easy to get along with and at all levels of Port knowledge. Thanks for becoming a subscriber!

As for getting your wine from a buyer's op up to your province, be careful, as I hear there is the potential for our new President to build a large wall between the USA and Canada. It would be akin to this and then muling wines across the border or trying to get those tunnel workers to help you, would be futile ... kind of like this:

[dash1.gif] [dash1.gif] [dash1.gif]
jf rouette

Post by jf rouette »

Haha thanks Roy thats funny but with our prices and import laws we are already between 2 walls... [help.gif]
In Port We Trust !
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

JF
[welcome.gif] to the Forum and thanks for the intro.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Welcome JF!
I am jealous of Port prices in the UK, but then I think about prices in Canada. I wish you luck in your hunting. There are a good number of other forum members from Canada around, so perhaps they can help. And travel is usually a fun option.
J yuen

Post by J yuen »

HI, i'm a complete NEWBIE to this board....

only started drinking port a couple years ago and fell for it hard.

However, coming from Canada and ONTARIO the supply and the selection are severely limited and the buying ops here might not even help unless i plan to be a mule....

BUT unabated i've went from the ruby/LBV to the 10's and now the 20's & 20year old colheitas at least the ones i can find... hoping to dip my toes into the thirties and older soon for christmas... please help me out by answering the post from another thread... never tried a VP but was gifted a 1983 Dows that i plan on opening during the holidays...

Otherwise, hoping to learn lots, drink lots, and experience lots....

THANKS
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hi J Yuen
[welcome.gif] to the :ftlop: forum! The 1983 dow's is a wonderful VP. Stand up for a couple days prior if possible and decant off the sediment about 5-6 hours prior to drinking. Do let us know how it shows when you try it.

You're in a tough spot for good prices on Port but perhaps you can find some excuses to travel south and pick up a few things to take home. Just watch out for your customs folks, seems from reports here they aren't too kind if you exceed the allotted amount to bring in.
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

welcome JF and J Yuen! i look forward to reading your posts!
J yuen

Post by J yuen »

HAHA... i'm actually looking forward to reading everyone else's posts and trying to learn and experience as much as i can... hope people don't get too annoyed with my newbie questions...

THANKS!