A discussion on Tawny Ports "with an indication of age"

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: A discussion on Tawny Ports "with an indication of age"

Post by Roy Hersh »

Peter,

Just for grins, IF you are still reading here ... how many bottles of the Nimrod are still in your possession at this point? [shrug.gif]

I did not get to see Peter this year in MI, as my wife's father died a couple of days before Christmas and we never got to hook up with Peter and it seems he has not been here :ftlop: in ages.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
rodrigo r

Post by rodrigo r »

Roy Hersh wrote:We've bantered the merits of whether or not Tawny Ports "with an indication of age" actually improve or become less impressive with an older bottling (say a 20 year old XYZ Tawny Port that was put in bottle in 1999 vs one that was bottled in 2008). Budweiser calls this "born on dating" if I am not mistaken.
Hello Roy,

I couldn't find the topics related to the changes in Tawny Ports after the bottling date. Could you please post the links?

I am a bit curious about this because yesterday I bought a bottle of Ferreira Duque de Bragança and only at home I could see it was bottled in 2003. I think it was stored properly but I have no idea how it has evolved in the last 13 years.

Thanks and regards,

Rodrigo
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

rodrigo r wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:We've bantered the merits of whether or not Tawny Ports "with an indication of age" actually improve or become less impressive with an older bottling (say a 20 year old XYZ Tawny Port that was put in bottle in 1999 vs one that was bottled in 2008). Budweiser calls this "born on dating" if I am not mistaken.
Hello Roy,

I couldn't find the topics related to the changes in Tawny Ports after the bottling date. Could you please post the links?

I am a bit curious about this because yesterday I bought a bottle of Ferreira Duque de Bragança and only at home I could see it was bottled in 2003. I think it was stored properly but I have no idea how it has evolved in the last 13 years.

Thanks and regards,

Rodrigo
Only one way to find out, open it and let's us know how it was. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

rodrigo r wrote:I couldn't find the topics related to the changes in Tawny Ports after the bottling date. Could you please post the links?
This has come up a good number of times, probably more in conjunction with colheitas than TWIOA, but perhaps those too. I suspect a lot of the discussions were not in explicit threads, so some deep digging may be necessary.
rodrigo r

Post by rodrigo r »

Thanks for the inputs.

I actually found some 2011 topics discussing it.

Thanks again!