TN: 2005 Niepoort Redoma Reserva Branco

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2005 Niepoort Redoma Reserva Branco

Post by David Spriggs »

The last bottle of this that I tasted was badly oxidized, so I was concerned whether this was going to be good or not. However, that oxidized bottle was not from my cellar. Color was very good on opening. I guess I shouldn't have worried about this wine from my own cellar! A bit "chalky" in the nose at first, but mellowed out quickly. This showed very well! Mineral nose. No oak showing at all. In the mouth, some initial fruit, big mouth filling palate, and then a very long, mineral infused finished. Really impressive and a fascinating wine. It is definitely showing its age, but still fresh. I would say there is no reason to hold on to these and I will finish the other 2 bottles that I have this year. Drink up! 94 points.
Phil W

Re: TN: 2005 Niepoort Redoma Reserva Branco

Post by Phil W »

I very much enjoy dry mineral whites (favourites being Rheingau reislings). How dry/sweet is the Redoma Branco? If dry or off-dry, then from your note it sounds like a wine I would very much enjoy, and should try.
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

I would say that it's not as dry as Chablis, but like a dry white Burgundy. Some what rich when young, and then as it ages it appears to be more dry. This did seem to be quite dry, but it's 11 years old.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

David Spriggs wrote:I would say that it's not as dry as Chablis, but like a dry white Burgundy. Some what rich when young, and then as it ages it appears to be more dry. This did seem to be quite dry, but it's 11 years old.
It is drier, probably half a gram per liter of sugar less than a chablis, but it has less acidity, that's why Chablis feels drier.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Thanks for the extra comments; sounds like I should try an older bottle sometime.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Been a while since I've had a 2005. I've got some in the offsite, so maybe time to pull one and give it a go.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Agreed, I don't see this getting any better and definitely in the drink up camp.
Last 6 pack to come out, been a great wine.
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

Definitely a superb drink... but don't let let it slip away in the cellar. :scholar:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Chris G wrote:Agreed, I don't see this getting any better and definitely in the drink up camp.
Last 6 pack to come out, been a great wine.
Opened a bottle on Tuesday for the Port gathering down here in L.A. I concur, time to start drinking up. I don't think I'd wait much past next summer. Some oxidation is just starting to creep in.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com