What was the BEST Portuguese wine you consumed in 2016?

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

What was the BEST Portuguese wine you consumed in 2016?

Post by Roy Hersh »

We used to do this every single year. With only 3 weeks left in the year, it would be great to hear what was the finest bottle or example(s) of Portuguese table wine that you have consumed in 2016?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Re: What was the BEST Portuguese wine you consumed in 2016?

Post by Rune EG »

Always an interesting question as there are so many nice wines.

My best during 2016 were in this order:
2007 Crasto Vinha da Ponte
2011 Vale da Corca (Brunheda)
2009 Vale Meao
2008 Casa Ferreirinha Barca Velha

Then just a step behind:
2011 Vale D. Maria
2005 Crasto Maria Teresa
2013 Casa Ferreirinha Quinta da Leda
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Tapada de Chaves 1997 and Quinta do Passadouro 1995 where both extremely good in red.

For whites, a 1967 Colares from M.J.C. was exceptional! 3rd bottle I get of this, always good but this time, was almost perfect wine!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Frederick Blais wrote:Quinta do Passadouro 1995
Interesting, wouldn't have expected this to last so long!
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Ronald Wortel wrote:
Frederick Blais wrote:Quinta do Passadouro 1995
Interesting, wouldn't have expected this to last so long!
Yeah and not close to die! It is younger and better than Redoma 1995! I had the 1994 Passadouro last year that was also excellent!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Red: 1998 Quinta do Crasto Vinha Maria Teresa was lovely, as well as 2006 Niepoort Charme. Two completely different wines, both beautiful in their own right.

As for whites, the 2 that impressed me most are both from Niepoort: 2013 Coche and 2007 Redoma Reserva.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ronald Wortel wrote:Red: 1998 Quinta do Crasto Vinha Maria Teresa was lovely, as well as 2006 Niepoort Charme. Two completely different wines, both beautiful in their own right.

As for whites, the 2 that impressed me most are both from Niepoort: 2013 Coche and 2007 Redoma Reserva.
Ronald I've still got a bottle of the 1998 Crasto Maria Teresa. How's it holding up? Do i need to drink soon or hold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Ronald Wortel wrote:Red: 1998 Quinta do Crasto Vinha Maria Teresa was lovely, as well as 2006 Niepoort Charme. Two completely different wines, both beautiful in their own right.

Ronald I've still got a bottle of the 1998 Crasto Maria Teresa. How's it holding up? Do i need to drink soon or hold?

It's still quite youthful and will continue to develop nicely I'd say. On the other hand, it was drinking very nicely when we opened it, definitely not too young to enjoy now. That's really helpful isn't it? :wink:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ronald Wortel wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:

It's still quite youthful and will continue to develop nicely I'd say. On the other hand, it was drinking very nicely when we opened it, definitely not too young to enjoy now. That's really helpful isn't it? :wink:
Hah! I think I'll let it rest a bit longer then. Thanks.

Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Quinta da Pellada 2011 late release Carrosel
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Soalheiro 2010 Reserva Alvarinho
Chasing Harvest 2012 Branco Douro
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

The 2003 Quinta do Crasto Reseva Old Vines. Not particulary memorable because it has yet to develop a broader tertiary character.

Mahmoud.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

2003 Herdade do Mouchao.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Ifune wrote:2003 Herdade do Mouchao.
Mine, too. Though I didn't even get a taste of the 2005 Crasto Touriga Nacional that I opened for the Sammamish Port Club, so I have no idea if it could have compared. :-)
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Niepoort Coche
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am still trying to figure it out and read through books of my notes for the Douro bottlings that were tops last year.

In other regions, there is no question as these two stood out amongst a slew that I tasted from all over the country in 2016:

WHTE:

2013 Pera Manca - Vinho Branco by Cartuxa in the Alentejo. I had this four times in a five day period of time, bought and brought some bottles back to the USA. As good if not better than I expected, this will only improve from here, a decade for sure and likely considerably longer. I will likely keep on bottle to drink at a decade of age, and others prior to that.

RED:

2011 Quinta da Pellada "Carrocel" is extraordinary. Far from the most expensive bottlings I tried last year, but this is a rarity that I have never seen in the USA. From one of the Dão regions mythical wine gurus, I won't touch any more of my remaining bottles for years to come. Wish I could have found a case of this one!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:I am still trying to figure it out and read through books of my notes for the Douro bottlings that were tops last year.

In other regions, there is no question as these two stood out amongst a slew that I tasted from all over the country in 2016:

WHTE:

2013 Pera Manca - Vinho Branco by Cartuxa in the Alentejo. I had this four times in a five day period of time, bought and brought some bottles back to the USA. As good if not better than I expected, this will only improve from here, a decade for sure and likely considerably longer. I will likely keep on bottle to drink at a decade of age, and others prior to that.
That wine is affordable as well. Will look for it locally!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Paul C. Metman

Post by Paul C. Metman »

My top wines for 2016 (all with 95 points):

Quinta do Vale Meão'05
Quinta do Vale Meao '09
Pintas '10
Maritavora Grande Reserva Tinto '11
Conceito Tinto '09
Manoella VV '10

my favourite being: Manoella VV '09 with 95,5 points
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Paul,

I agree with you that the 2009 Quinta do Vale Meao should not be overlooked, and I also like the 2005 quite a bit, but feel it is greatly outclassed by the 2004 that came right before it.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Actually, I had forgotten the oldest Portuguese table wine I've ever had, bought reasonably and opened on a special occasion with lots of concerns whether it would deliver any fruit.

1955 Carvalho, Ribeiro & Ferreira, LDA. was an extraordinary wine in that it still held onto its ruby color with subtle bricking on the edge. While fully mature, there was a ton of fruit left in this wine, along with tapenade, leather and tobacco leaf notes. As sublime as a well-aged Grand Cru Burgundy as far as the texture and with an arsenal of seamless acidity and fully resolved tannins that were still noticeable and chalky. I felt very fortunate this showed so well and it is a wine I will never forget. To taste such a beauty from Portugal with over six decades of age ... well, who knows if I will ever get to best this feat!?!?!