TN: 2005 Quinta do Vale Meao Douro red

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rune EG

TN: 2005 Quinta do Vale Meao Douro red

Post by Rune EG »

I have for several years regarded 2005 and 2011 as the best vintages of Vale Meao’s top level Douro red. Last two bottles of 2005 were consumed autumn of 2013 and both got 96 pts. Have three left and decided to drink of them this last weekend. It is now 3.5 years since last time and we had hoped that it had stayed at the high level (have been stored all the time in our temperature controlled wine cellar). But unfortunately not, at least for that bottle. It is still a very nice Douro red, but it is a step down from 96 pts to 92 pts. Maybe a not optimal bottle?

Decanted 3.5 hrs. Dark red colour, nearly black. Aroma of oak came first, then Douro-terroir incl the minerals and also some fruit. Full body. Taste is powerful and super elegant, oak, minerals, dry tannins in a nice way. Although nearly black in colour, the berries had actually faded a bit in the taste (slightly confusing!). The wine has a “personality”, but not like before. Long aftertaste. But still a very nice Douro red. 92 pts.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: TN: 2005 Quinta do Vale Meao Douro red

Post by Andy Velebil »

Do you think these older top Douro wines are in a weird phase like VP goes through? Or are they just not holding up as time goes on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

During the consumption of this 2005-bottle Emmy asked me more or less the same question, whether Douro reds could have the same "closed period" as we find wth vintage ports. My answer was that I do not know. The Douro red revolution that started more less around year 2000 (forgetting early birds like Niepoort, Ramos Pinto and others) and is still fairly yong, and no-one (or very few) know how they will deelop when they get older.

Vale Meao was for years the quinta of the Barca Velha until 1999 when the Ozabal-family took over the qinta and started the Vale Meao-brand themselves. So from that point of view there is a lot of experience from the quinta itselves. If we look at Barca Velha there are some fantastic vintages, and some that are mediocre (like 1985 which I have tasted at two occassions giving mid-80s in score both times). Maybe 2005 will end up mediocre, and if so, it is confusing when it had a 96-level for many years.

I am keeping the last two bottles of each Meao-vintage Douro reds in a "library". We have decided these two (which are the last we have) to stay untouched until I read tasting notes that are closer to their previous level. A bit weird to write like this, as 92 pts is still an extraordinary wine, but when it has been at 96 pts, it is not easy to forget that level.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks for your thoughts on it. I too am undecided on where many of these will go. I guess time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com