Simple Pleasures - An Old Aciprestes

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mahmoud Ali

Simple Pleasures - An Old Aciprestes

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Many years ago I was drinking and enjoying a young Duoro wine from the very good 2000 vintage, a Quinta dos Aciprestes made by Real Compagnia Velha from old vines of Tinta Franca, Tinta Roriz, and Tinta Barocca. I assume that it was a single quinta wine. Anyway, it was young, bold, vibrant, and relatively inexpensive. I thought it had structure and decided that it was worth cellaring a few bottles.

A few years ago, maybe about five, I tried a bottle and thought it rather bland and insipid, characterless if you will, and thought that I had erred in cellaring it. Not one to continue drinking a "poor" wine I left the other bottles alone. A few weeks ago I came across them while puttering around the cellar and decided to pull one out since it is now a 16 year-old wine.

Last week, with roast chicken for dinner, I thought a light wine was in order and opened the Aciprestes. Well, what a surprise. Here was a fluid, medium-bodied, red-fruited (fleshy cherry) wine with fully resolved tannins, perfect as a mid-week drinker without any pretensions. The lesson here is two-fold, one needs to not only know which bottles can be cellared, but also know the right time to open it.

Cheers ..................... Mahmoud.
Eric Menchen

Re: Simple Pleasures - An Old Aciprestes

Post by Eric Menchen »

Or maybe that one bottle was off?

I made a beer that I found underwhelming after a year or two in bottle, so I started using them for cooking. Years later when I had but a few bottles left I tasted some whilst pouring the rest into the dinner. It was outstanding, but at that point I just had a few left :-(

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Simple Pleasures - An Old Aciprestes

Post by Andy Velebil »

Good to know. And as a side RCV has been putting a lot of resources into their dry wines and have been making some very good things at all price points lately. Worth checking them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com