TN: 2003 Quinta do Crasto Vinha Maria Teresa Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2003 Quinta do Crasto Vinha Maria Teresa Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

My last record of having this, or that I can recall, was almost 9 years ago. So time to check in and see how it's coming along. Decanted 6 hours by the time of this note, but consumed starting 4 hours into decanting. The color and fruit doesn't show any signs of fading almost 14 years later. This started out very tight and reserved and I wasn't too keen on it as it mostly showed too much oak, little fruit, and a clipped finish. A couple hours later that finally started to change as the blackberries came out and so did some minty/eucalyptus, mixed in with some unresolved oak, a large dose of tannins, and a much longer finish. But at this point it isn't as expressive or showing as complex as it has been in the past. I suspect this is in an awkward phase at the moment and needs more time in the cellar to emerge and show it's previous greatness. The potential is here, but at this point this just isn't as expressive and complex as it showed when younger so my score is probably a bit on the conservative side.

92 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com