TN: 2007 Quinta do Noval Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2007 Quinta do Noval Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

2007 Quinta do Noval Douro DOC. Decanted 1 hour, then consumed over the next 3 hours. This was incredibly tight for the first couple of hours and showed mostly a wall of massive tannins, some youthful dark fruit in the background, plenty of minerality and acidity, and a dry but lengthy finish. Around 3 hours into it it finally started to release its grip allowing the fruit to become more prominent. This shows nowhere near it's almost 10 years of age, far more like a 2 year old wine, and at the current pace this will be a very long lived wine if it continues on it present course. I'd recommend either leaving these in the cellar for at least another decade or giving it a far longer decant that I did. Regardless, I look forward to coming back to this many years down the road. IIRC, and I'd have to look, but I think I was somewhere around 92 points last I had this back when it was released. I will gladly admit I was wrong back then...

94+ points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com