TN: 2014 Quevedo Grande Reserva Douro red

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rune EG

TN: 2014 Quevedo Grande Reserva Douro red

Post by Rune EG »

Decanted 2 hrs. I recommend 2 - 2.5 hrs as it opened during the interval around 1.5-2.5 hrs. Dark purple colour. Deep appealing aroma of berries (especially blackcurrant) along with minerals, all in a subdued way. Medium to full body. Taste is powerful, elegant, quite a mouthful with a lot of berries. Tannins are “coming out” as the wine is opening. The acidity is becoming more noticeable towards the end, however in an acceptable way. A bit dry at the end. The wine is well-structured and there is a good sweetness/acidity-balance. Medium to long aftertaste. 92 points.
Paul C. Metman

Re: TN: 2014 Quevedo Grande Reserva Douro red

Post by Paul C. Metman »

Rune EG wrote:Decanted 2 hrs. I recommend 2 - 2.5 hrs as it opened during the interval around 1.5-2.5 hrs. Dark purple colour. Deep appealing aroma of berries (especially blackcurrant) along with minerals, all in a subdued way. Medium to full body. Taste is powerful, elegant, quite a mouthful with a lot of berries. Tannins are “coming out” as the wine is opening. The acidity is becoming more noticeable towards the end, however in an acceptable way. A bit dry at the end. The wine is well-structured and there is a good sweetness/acidity-balance. Medium to long aftertaste. 92 points.
Hi Rune,
Very interesting! I'm a great fan of Oscar Quevedo and visited him a few times. Can you give me an indication of the price of this new wine? Is it available only at the winery and/or lodge in Porto?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

+1

I recall Oscar mentioning he was making a more upper end wine but I didn't know it was out already. Glad to read you liked it as I trust your reviews
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

I know that the wine has been for sale in Portugal during this summer at a price of abt € 40-50 range incl. sales tax.
According to wine-searcher it is now also available in France and Spain.
As they have only bottled 2000 bottles it can easily be a rush if the market like the wine.