What Portuguese wine have you purchased this week...

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Re: What Douro wine have you purchased this week...

Post by Moses Botbol »

2014 Wine & Soul "Guru" White for $35 a bottle
2013 Wine & Soul "Character" for $30 a bottle
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Well, it is not Douro wine, but from a very interesting producer in Alentejo. Herdade de Mouchao.
After having tested out three bottles of their tinto 2005 purchased in Sweden, we wanted more, and found that in Denmark:

Mouchao tinto
2003 Limited edition - 3 btls
2006, 2007, 2009, 2011 - 1 btl from each year

Tonel 3-4
2008 - 2 btls
2011 - 3 btls

Colheitas Contigas:
2003 - 1 btl magnum

I think there will be many meat dinners during the next months!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Rune,

You will be very pleased with your purchases, although I thought you don't like Alentejo wines ... I've heard that several times from you over the years. [friends.gif]

I have owned 24 bottles of the 2003 Mouchão, but now only have 9 left. It is in a fantastic place in its evolution. I've also purchased a full case of 2006, which is very good but not on a par with the 2003. I also have had the 1963 Mouchão which was incredible. And have had every bottling between 2003 and 2011 except for 2004. The 2011s, both the regular and the Tonel 3-4 are incredible, simply about as good as Alentejo can deliver. But they are both way big and need a lot of time to come around and have the tannins integrate. Great stuff! I have a vertical going and just need to find a 2004 to complete it.

This to me is like the Ch. Musar of Portugal; idiosyncratic and excellent with a wide range of flavors from the cool and ripe years.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Hi Roy!
Yes, you are right. In general I am not too keen on a lot of the Alentejo wines.
I guess that is more the medium and lower qualities.
Emmy and I travelled around in Alentejo on our own in 2009 and found very few bottles that we would like to buy.
Two exceptions that we have found was at Malhadinha and the Pera Manca from Cartuxa. The latter is very expensive though!

However, the world is moving on, and the quality is improving also in Alentejo, although many years behind Douro.
For some years I have heard about Mouchao, but never tasted anything.
During the 2016 FTLOP Harvest Tour we had the Mouchao red wine 2012 Ponte das Canas at the Taylor's Vargellas lunch as part of the tour. I gave it 89 pts and wrote some positive words.
When reading the reports from the FTLOP Five regions Tours 2015 + 2016 I became more curious about Mouchao. Mouchao is not sold in Norway, but after having found the 2005 Mouchao Tinto at the wine monopoly in Sweden, we purchased a case of 6 btls. After three bottles (one was tiny bit corked), we decided to go full scale on this producer. The Danish importer had a wide selection, which made it possible to test from many vintages. We really look forward to this and while have the 2003 Mouchao tinto for dinner tomorrow Friday evening, and some of the others during the upcoming Easter holiday.

Roy, could you please post your tasting notes of the Mouchao wines?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Someday maybe. I am finishing the newsletter now with loads of tasting notes, but don't know when I will find time for the Mouchao. I have plenty of notes. The 2005 that you mention was seemingly much more ripe if not jammy, but still a lovely wine. I think the 2003, although from a considerably warmer vintage, is fresher and more balanced today. I look forward to your impressions.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

From Cartuxa - several 2012 Pera Manca Branco

Also Mouchao 2011 tonel no. 3 and 4
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Cartuxa's Pera Manca 2014 Branco in magnum. Just 63 Euros in a great shop in Porto.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

2016 Quinta Nova "Pomares" Vinho Branco - $10

2015 Calheiros Cruz Branco - $11
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

1 x 2009 Callabriga Dao Tinto
1 x 2010 Quinta da Romaneira Touriga Nacional
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Brian C. wrote:1 x 2009 Callabriga Dao Tinto
Really curious to hear how the Romaniera is when you open it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Andy Velebil wrote:

I popped and poured the Callabriga Dao last night. Definitely ready to drink now, and a solid value at $12.

What's the rule of thumb on time needed for decanting single varietal Touriga Nacionals with seven years of age?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Brian C. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:

I popped and poured the Callabriga Dao last night. Definitely ready to drink now, and a solid value at $12.

What's the rule of thumb on time needed for decanting single varietal Touriga Nacionals with seven years of age?
I'd start at about 2 hours then slowly try it going forward and see where it goes. I say that is conservative but I've not had much experience with that wine so don't know how it behaves with lots of air.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Andy Velebil wrote: I'd start at about 2 hours then slowly try it going forward and see where it goes. I say that is conservative but I've not had much experience with that wine so don't know how it behaves with lots of air.
I did as suggested. Seemed a bit shy, though a floral nose did develop. It had its moments. I paid $27 for the bottle. Seems about fair value. Lots of bottles in this world to try, so I'm probably not going back for more on this one.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

2010 was a tough Vintage for Douro wines. Some have held up very well and many have not. I'd assume by your comments this was in the latter group?

Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Andy Velebil wrote:2010 was a tough Vintage for Douro wines. Some have held up very well and many have not. I'd assume by your comments this was in the latter group?

I hadn't heard that about 2010 before, Andy. I did find this article about 2010 which suggested that Touriga Franca at the very least did indeed struggle, though TN seemed to do okay, and it quoted Rupert Symington: http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/44114

The wine was decent. I just like to keep trying new bottles. I don't re-up on stuff all that often, unless the price is ridiculously good, so I should provide that context. This price of $27 is not too shabby for a TN, given how expensive they seem to be. I would be disappointed if it was $40, and more than content at $15. I hate putting a numerical value on a wine. I don't have a 100 point or near 100 point example to base anything on, for one. I think that's essential if one wants to go that route. I just like to try to determine if I got my money's worth. I got the wine at Binny's, fwiw. I would guess that they discovered it and the Callabriga lying around in inventory, or their distributor did, as I seem to remember these two bottles offered at Binny's a few years ago, and only one location has them. The Callabriga had a fair amount of dust on it, and the cork broke when I was trying to extract it. Enjoyable bottle and good value at $12, but it did seem a bit mature for its age. So that's the full context of the experience.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Brian C. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:2010 was a tough Vintage for Douro wines. Some have held up very well and many have not. I'd assume by your comments this was in the latter group?

I hadn't heard that about 2010 before, Andy. I did find this article about 2010 which suggested that Touriga Franca at the very least did indeed struggle, though TN seemed to do okay, and it quoted Rupert Symington: http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/44114

The wine was decent. I just like to keep trying new bottles. I don't re-up on stuff all that often, unless the price is ridiculously good, so I should provide that context. This price of $27 is not too shabby for a TN, given how expensive they seem to be. I would be disappointed if it was $40, and more than content at $15. I hate putting a numerical value on a wine. I don't have a 100 point or near 100 point example to base anything on, for one. I think that's essential if one wants to go that route. I just like to try to determine if I got my money's worth. I got the wine at Binny's, fwiw. I would guess that they discovered it and the Callabriga lying around in inventory, or their distributor did, as I seem to remember these two bottles offered at Binny's a few years ago, and only one location has them. The Callabriga had a fair amount of dust on it, and the cork broke when I was trying to extract it. Enjoyable bottle and good value at $12, but it did seem a bit mature for its age. So that's the full context of the experience.
No worries about the numerical value, it's actually very important IMO. It's also why I don't buy nearly as much Napa wines anymore. They've just gotten way overpriced for the quality they provide. If I'm paying $100+ per bottle it better give me a 93+ point experience every time. I've had way too many expensive wines that were, at best, a high 80's score.
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Andy Velebil wrote: No worries about the numerical value, it's actually very important IMO. It's also why I don't buy nearly as much Napa wines anymore. They've just gotten way overpriced for the quality they provide. If I'm paying $100+ per bottle it better give me a 93+ point experience every time. I've had way too many expensive wines that were, at best, a high 80's score.
I have to admit that price paid would affect my judgment and create a bias of sorts if I were doing numerical ratings. Spend $100, and it better be amazing, as you suggest. Spend $10-15, and one can sometimes be pleasantly surprised, and sometimes even feel like they got away with something (the best feeling ever, with wine, anyway). I'm sure I'd have other inherent biases besides that one. Someday I will have the whole QPR matrix constructed in my head. Someday.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Got some of the 2014 MOB (Moreira, Olazabal, Borges) White (Encruzado and Bical) Dao.
Mika H

Post by Mika H »

Quinta da Devesa tinto 2014. Rich and tannic, excellent quality/price ratio to my taste. Anyone familiar with this producer? http://www.quintadadevesa.pt/#xl_xr_page_douro-wines
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Randy,
Fantastic. May I ask where?