July 2010 VT: Anything from Graham's

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Melanie R.

July 2010 VT: Anything from Graham's

Post by Melanie R. »

I thought I would make a separate topic for this so people who drop by will be able to see the VT theme for July without looking at the other post. I hope I'm not stepping on anybody's toes. [foilhat.gif]

In light of the recent discussion about the 2005 Graham's LBV, July's theme is anything from Graham's, especially the 2005 LBV if you can get it. (The LBV discussion can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10027 )
Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: July 2010 VT: Anything from Graham's

Post by Andy Velebil »

Melanie R. wrote:I thought I would make a separate topic for this so people who drop by will be able to see the VT theme for July without looking at the other post. I hope I'm not stepping on anybody's toes. [foilhat.gif]

In light of the recent discussion about the 2005 Graham's LBV, July's theme is anything from Graham's, especially the 2005 LBV if you can get it. (The LBV discussion can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10027 )
Nope not at all, excellent topic and thanks for stepping in and doing this :thumbsup:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I've been looking for the 2005 Graham's LBV in the US and can't find it. There are a couple of bottles down in CA, but temperatures are too high for shipping so that doesn't do me any good.

Has anyone else had any luck? I may have to resort to something else from Graham's this month...
Glenn Elliott
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

I can't believe that I have had a whole month to open my Graham's 20-year tawny and I have yet to do it. However, as a wedding cake baker July is, as you can imagine, an extremely busy month for me. So, my apologies but my tasting, and tasting notes, will have to wait until I get back to town. I hope some others will post notes here in the meantime. Happy tasting!
Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

While I drank them earlier this year, I have posted all my TN's for the massive Graham's Malvedos tasting I attended in London. Check out the Port Tasting Note section.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

I finally tasted my Graham's 20-year-old Tawny. It was a surprising and befuddling experience, and I'm not sure what to make of it. This tawny was not what I expected at all--I don't know how to describe it except to say that it seemed overly acidic and not sweet or nutty like I expected it to be. I'm not sure if this is just the style of this wine, or maybe I got an off bottle? At any rate, I really didn't care for it. I'm willing to give it another try in the next day or two to see if anything has changed.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Melanie R. wrote:it seemed overly acidic and not sweet or nutty like I expected it to be.
That hasn't been my experience with the Graham's 20-yr old in the past at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. I usually find it to be sweeter and smoother than other 20-yr olds.

Dunno what to tell you... it's possible you just got a bad bottle. It does happen to tawnies occasionally just like VPs.
Glenn Elliott