Vote on closing the VTR

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Vote on closing the VTR

Post by Roy Hersh »

This area has received less and less attention this year and unless there is some serious outcry, I see no reason to try to keep this going.

So if you feel strongly one way or the other ... let us know SOON.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Vote on closing the VTR

Post by Glenn E. »

I could see it becoming a sticky thread in the Port Forum... the traffic just doesn't seem to warrant it being its own separate forum.
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I very rarely participate here so have no strong view either way but it is worth noting that the VTR threads from Jan to Aug 2010 have generated 2200+ views. Whilst not many people seem to do the tastings lots of others seem to enjoy reading about them [cheers.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

At the moment, almost a full week has passed with only 47 views here and only two comments. It is all but a foregone conclusion. We'll keep this available in the archives if it winds up being shut down, so people won't lose their tasting notes or the ablity to search through older threads.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Sorry for jumping late into the topic. The idea beind the VTR was to make people participate and share their tasting notes. So instead of getting one perspective of a product/house of Port, you get a full view with the numerous tasting notes.

I did stop organizing for the same reason as you want to close it, lack of participation. It is not fun or does not have purpose if only 3 persons per month participate.

We've done much in the past with it, maybe today the crowd is divided between elitist and beginners which might be a reason why it is hard to please everyone and get everybody jump in each month.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

If we want to try again, I vote for a sticky thread in one of the other categories.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Frederick,

You know that it took you a full week to even see this thread (or at least to post here). If it remained active, I'd be all for keeping it open. But if it is not going to be used, it should go to the archives.

Eric,

I'd be very happy to give it another try, but I am not so sure that by even moving it to Port Basics or our Port Forum ... that the outcome would be much different. I AM willing to try though. But I'll need to see a bit more enthusiasm than just 3 or 4 posts in this thread. I'll wait another week before making any decision. Fair enough?
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

There is a way of dealing with this that gives everyone with an interest (for or against) what they want.

1. Move all of the threads into "the archive" (I'm not sure what or where that is but perhaps the best place for them is to just move them into the Port forum where they will all float or sink to the appropriate place in the list of posts depending on when last used?)

2. Delete the empty VT forum.

3. Create a non-sticky thread in the Port forum named "Virtual Tastings".

4. Those who are interested can then do their thing each day/week/month and write about it in that thread. If it's popular or even just regularly used by a few it will stay afloat and visible. If not, it will sink down the list into obscurity until someone revives it.

[cheers.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Not a bad suggestion, but the apathy for this area is really sad.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Not a bad suggestion, but the apathy for this area is really sad.
Before these threads are cast into the depths of another section, can I please make a plea for a clever Admin (i.e. Dave or Stewart) to create a list of links to each of the 100 VT threads and post it in the first post of a new thread called "Virtual Tastings" in the main Port Forum section. This would then serve two purposes: firstly, it would provide an index to the VTs that have already happened and, secondly, it would become the thread where future VTs could be recorded.

Alternatively, if someone would be kind enough to send me a spreadsheet containing the url and subject of each of the threads in this area I will happily create the index and the new thread myself.

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

We'll have to hold a FTLOP closed door board meeting and drink Port until we can decide what to do here. :winebath:

As the real estate is not costly, we may just wind up leaving it here as an archive since it doesn't look like it has any legs to continue further. We'll see. :scholar:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

One year later and this is my first time back to have a look. Nothing new to see here. :mrgreen:

Then again, 7,000 views of this thread alone. People do like NASCAR racing too, I believe for a very similar reason. [imnewhere.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:One year later and this is my first time back to have a look. Nothing new to see here. :mrgreen:

Then again, 7,000 views of this thread alone. People do like NASCAR racing too, I believe for a very similar reason. [imnewhere.gif]
3 years, actually. Last post here was in 2010! [foilhat.gif]
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

I'd be on board to taste something--but no one has suggested....we could try the latest Taylor, Fonseca or Dows LBV (something most of us can get readily) if you want to try this.
Any Port in a storm!
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Me too
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:I'd be on board to taste something--but no one has suggested....we could try the latest Taylor, Fonseca or Dows LBV (something most of us can get readily) if you want to try this.
I'm game. Just say the word and lets get this show going :winepour:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

4 years ago (Feb 2010) we did 20-yr old Tawnies. Shall we revisit them?
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

OK. Let's start with something...it doesn't matter too much...its all good. Andy--why don't you nominate something that's readily available? LBV, a 20 year....... [beg.gif] .
Any Port in a storm!
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

20 year Presidential/Dalva?
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:20 year Presidential/Dalva?
How about we simply do "Any 20 Year Tawny Port"? That way lots of people in different places can participate.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com