Febuary 2014 - Any 20 Year Old Tawny Port

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bradley Bogdan

Re: Febuary 2014 - Any 20 Year Old Tawny Port

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

With the biggest vineyard in the Douro, you'd figure they'd had some good stuff somewhere to turn into a very nice tawny.
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:With the biggest vineyard in the Douro, you'd figure they'd had some good stuff somewhere to turn into a very nice tawny.
No kidding. BTW, no mention on the label about vineyard size.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

Andresen 20 Year Old Tawny

Opened 2/1/14--still have 1/3 bottle left and it is holding up very well.

Amber and burnt orange color. Distinct smells of roasted orange with a nutty quality. These repeat in the tasting; sometimes just a little too brassy. Yet there are various nut flavors here; plus mostly orange but occasional other citrus in the background (muted at that). Moderate finish. Nice linger, even a few minutes later a nice vibe.

At last I have a chance to taster this--pretty good. Somehow, though, I am not blown away which I must admit I was expecting within the 20 year old class. Still, a very good drink (will update)

91 points
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

My Andresen will be gone tonight. Up next is either Ferreira or Ramos Pinto. Which one should I open?
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Go Ramos-Pinto! I don't have a good reason, but you asked :-).
-Brad

Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

RP it is! Just finishing up the Andersen right now. :-)
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn Elliott
John F. Newman

Post by John F. Newman »

there hasn't been too much activity on this Virtual Tasting, and we have 10 days left...

Sorry, I haven't done my part either.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

All y'all are slackers! [berserker.gif]

I have a 3rd bottle that I hope to get to next week! The least that the rest of you can do is to open ONE measly bottle!

[1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yeah chop chop people. Bust out a 20 year tawny and tell us about it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I was doing a radio show for Happy Hour Radio that is presented on Saturday late morning. I opened a 20 year old Quevedo Tawny and put it up against a 1994 Dow's VP for the sake of similarly age Ports to exemplify the unique differences in style. Having learned that the Quevedo shows a bit hot the first day, I decanted it the night before the radio show was taped. That four hours of air time was enough for all of the spirit to mellow and made this a better showing than if I had just popped and poured. In fact, this was a really delicious Tawny Port. The 1994 Dow was wonderful, as expected.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I opened the Kopke 20 Year Old on the 23rd. It was very nice, a bit fruity, along with caramel ... I put the T-stopper on it and put it in the fridge overnight, pulling it out the next evening with plenty of time to warm up. It was even better the second night, a bit more complex in the sugars department. I save a glass for the third night which was still very good. I didn't take notes at the time, but I'd give it 92-94 points.
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Sorry, I was'nt there (online with the FTLOP) in february. But I just have the need to talk about the Niepoort 20 year old, bottled in 1972....that I had with some great friends just after Christmas.
The label was like the old Garrafeiras, Light Brown, and the taste was amazing.
I Think Dirk once said, a great Tawny can hold on for a very long time in the bottle. And that was the case with this Ni20.

And there are some great buys out there, if You dont Allways have the cash to get and old VPs.

Cheers
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Allan,

I agree! :salute:

I've had older bottlings of Niepoort Tawny Ports and they rock. As much as I really do love the 10 and the 20, Dirk's 30 year old Tawny is something really special. I only have one left and they are very hard to come by in the USA. I hope you will join us in discussions in other parts of the Forum too.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

It's possible that broadening this category a smidge might have increased. For example, age-dated tawnies, or 10-20 year old port. A 20 year old port is out of my current casual wine budget, and that may be true for others.
John M.

Post by John M. »

John Trombley wrote:It's possible that broadening this category a smidge might have increased. For example, age-dated tawnies, or 10-20 year old port. A 20 year old port is out of my current casual wine budget, and that may be true for others.
Excellent idea...please propose something for the Virtual Tasting! I had been thinking any filtered LBV, or if wanting to be more specific, any Dows LBV,
Any Port in a storm!
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

John M. wrote:
John Trombley wrote:It's possible that broadening this category a smidge might have increased. For example, age-dated tawnies, or 10-20 year old port. A 20 year old port is out of my current casual wine budget, and that may be true for others.
Excellent idea...please propose something for the Virtual Tasting! I had been thinking any filtered LBV, or if wanting to be more specific, any Dows LBV,
The only help you need from me is my participation with a fine Dow's LBV! A great idea, I'd say! Maybe an age-dated Madiera after the Dow's! (for us relatively po' folks!)

Make sure this gets posted on the newbie 4um!
Last edited by John Trombley on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Dows LBV sounds like a great choice. I'll have to work to find some since the couple quality shops locally don't stock any, but I suspect I'm willing to suffer for the cause

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad