Febuary 2014 - Any 20 Year Old Tawny Port

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Febuary 2014 - Any 20 Year Old Tawny Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ok folks, time to get this forum fired up again. Since the Forum is undergoing some periodic updates over the next week or two and may be down, lets open this up for the entire month of Feburary....Oh, and the last few days of January as well...maybe that will give some extra time to open and post about a second, different bottle, of 20 Year Old Tawny :winepour:

THEME:
Open and post about any 20 Year Old Tawny Port.

How's that for being simple!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John F. Newman

Re: Febuary 2014 - Any 20 Year Old Tawny Port

Post by John F. Newman »

great idea. It'll give me a reason to break into my 20s which I've been holding off from doing for some reason.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have opened my Andresen Royal Choice 20-yr Old Tawny Port... TN to follow!
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I just had another glass of the Andresen, and though I haven't written a note yet I have to say that it was pretty amazing paired with a 70% dark chocolate from the Dominican Republic! I really didn't expect it to work as I usually don't find that Port pairs well with chocolate, despite conventional wisdom. But this one really worked.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Now go wipe those fingers off and start typing that TN lol
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Nice going Andy, it would be fun to see if we could regain traction here at the VTR. Part of it was that I think that Fred got burned out doing this last time and not enough interest seeming from the regulars. I have a feeling once the new website goes live, this could be a great new spot to regenerate enthusiasm!

Own it, brother. [friends.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I have been looking for a 20 year I've either not had in a long time or one I've never had. I've located a Quinta d. Ventozelo 20 year old. No I just need to head over to the store and see if they actually have it in stock.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Nice going Andy, it would be fun to see if we could regain traction here at the VTR. Part of it was that I think that Fred got burned out doing this last time and not enough interest seeming from the regulars.
That and I think we were doing them too often. Once a month covers a pretty significant portion of my non-tasting-event Port consumption! A seasonal (every 3 months) VT might get better participation from more casual Port drinkers.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:Nice going Andy, it would be fun to see if we could regain traction here at the VTR. Part of it was that I think that Fred got burned out doing this last time and not enough interest seeming from the regulars.
That and I think we were doing them too often. Once a month covers a pretty significant portion of my non-tasting-event Port consumption! A seasonal (every 3 months) VT might get better participation from more casual Port drinkers.
Yes, I was thinking basically the same. About every two or three months.
John M.

Post by John M. »

I, too, have picked up a Andresen Royal Choice 20-yr Old Tawny Port---Choices limited in town...Noval was $64, Taylor & Fonseca each $45 and Andresen $47....easy choice for me.....I've never had the A-20 and it scores very high and was relatively cheap within that quad. After ready the article in the new newsletter, was hoping to find the Graham's as well. Maybe that's next.....

Cheers!

(& once every 2-3 months is perfect IMHO)
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I checked my inventory and I have a Kopke from a FTLOP buy last year (I think). I should be able to open that before Feb runs out.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn Elliott
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Andy Velebil wrote:I have been looking for a 20 year I've either not had in a long time or one I've never had. I've located a Quinta d. Ventozelo 20 year old. No I just need to head over to the store and see if they actually have it in stock.
Did you find it? We've had a bottle or two of this over the past couple years - Total Wine usually has it (only place I've seen it, actually).
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Carl D wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:I have been looking for a 20 year I've either not had in a long time or one I've never had. I've located a Quinta d. Ventozelo 20 year old. No I just need to head over to the store and see if they actually have it in stock.
Did you find it? We've had a bottle or two of this over the past couple years - Total Wine usually has it (only place I've seen it, actually).
Been working, so I'll head to the store this week and hopefully be able to pick it up.
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

NV Ferreira 20 Year Tawny Port (opened 40 days ago)

Sweet citrus feel in the mouth, not particularly full bodied. Alcohol perfectly integrated, cant tell it's there. Long nutty finish.

Compared to my notes from fresher bottles, if pressed would say the finish on this was not majestic like I recall from other bottles. However, the difference is small.

Am amazed by how long lasting it is proving.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Miguel Simoes wrote:NV Ferreira 20 Year Tawny Port (opened 40 days ago)

Sweet citrus feel in the mouth, not particularly full bodied. Alcohol perfectly integrated, cant tell it's there. Long nutty finish.

Compared to my notes from fresher bottles, if pressed would say the finish on this was not majestic like I recall from other bottles. However, the difference is small.

Am amazed by how long lasting it is proving.
I'm amazed you've let it last 40 days. Mine may not make it 24 hours. I went to this bottle as the most economical replacement on offer from my LWS. I had stopped in on Thursday to buy some beer, but in my rush, neglected to bring enough cash to buy one of the 4 remaining Presidential 20yrs. I returned Friday, figuring its taken them 6 months to sell the first 8 so obviously they're still going to have one, only to find there were none left! They had the Ferreira, and remembering the positive feelings about it here, bought that instead. I'm sold, hook line and sinker. Delicious stuff.

Link here: http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... 12&t=17455
-Brad

Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:I'm amazed you've let it last 40 days. Mine may not make it 24 hours. I went to this bottle as the most economical replacement on offer from my LWS. I had stopped in on Thursday to buy some beer, but in my rush, neglected to bring enough cash to buy one of the 4 remaining Presidential 20yrs. I returned Friday, figuring its taken them 6 months to sell the first 8 so obviously they're still going to have one, only to find there were none left! They had the Ferreira, and remembering the positive feelings about it here, bought that instead. I'm sold, hook line and sinker. Delicious stuff.

Dont get me wrong. I've had about a bottle of Ferreira 20 Yr a month over the last half year. When I went to FL w the wife and kid over Labor Day weekend I took a bottle w me... and didnt need to bring it back.

Not sure why, lately I have been having more Madeira (mostly Broadbent 10 Yr Malmsey) and young VP. Wonder if it is a seasonal thing.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Miguel Simoes wrote:
Bradley Bogdan wrote:I'm amazed you've let it last 40 days. Mine may not make it 24 hours. I went to this bottle as the most economical replacement on offer from my LWS. I had stopped in on Thursday to buy some beer, but in my rush, neglected to bring enough cash to buy one of the 4 remaining Presidential 20yrs. I returned Friday, figuring its taken them 6 months to sell the first 8 so obviously they're still going to have one, only to find there were none left! They had the Ferreira, and remembering the positive feelings about it here, bought that instead. I'm sold, hook line and sinker. Delicious stuff.

Dont get me wrong. I've had about a bottle of Ferreira 20 Yr a month over the last half year. When I went to FL w the wife and kid over Labor Day weekend I took a bottle w me... and didnt need to bring it back.

Not sure why, lately I have been having more Madeira (mostly Broadbent 10 Yr Malmsey) and young VP. Wonder if it is a seasonal thing.
Just teasing about the 40 day thing. And having the last but of Broadbents 10y Boal side by side, there's a surprising amount of similarities.
-Brad

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Picked it up this evening. Will open it and get a tasting note up in the coming days.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Some badly needed rain today in good 'ol sunny So Cal changed plans a little. So tonight is a good night to give my Quinta de Ventozelo 20 Year Tawny a go.

Quinta de Ventozelo 20 Year Tawny
Bottled 2012. The color is a pale ruby with some bricking on the edges. Almost a cross between most 10 and 20 year tawnys. The nose shows some metallic components, marmalade, and a light amount wood varnish. Soft and semi-sweet entry shows some mahogany and faint amount of dried nuts. This then becomes more of a drier profile with orange zest and a wallop of spirit. A spirity clipped finish lacks grip and persistency. Overall, this starts out nice but by the mid palate it starts to lose complexity and body at an alarming rate. One dimensional is a good overall description of how this shows. At $50 (USD) not a Port I plan on getting again.
87 Points