May 2016 -- Ruby Reserve Port

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Hey all,

A little while back, I spoke with Roy about making regular topics here and reviving the wonderful communal experience it can provide.

For folks that aren't familiar with the concept, we'll be choosing a theme each month. They'll generally be ones that can be found by folks in most places and are affordable for folks of any experience level and income. I'll kick off each month with a short blurb on what the theme is, what people can expect from it, and some suggestions on brands/bottlings that should be fairly easy to find and representative. I encourage everyone to try one or more Ports in the theme and leave their thoughts here, even if they don't want to leave a full note for the database. There's no wrong impressions, so don't be nervous.

I'll be using the #ftlopvirtualtasting on my twitter and facebook (and I guess I'll need to get an instagram as well) to see if we can encourage some new people to come and participate with us in the monthly theme. I encourage everyone to share a photo or post their thoughts on the Port on their favorite social media platform and help me bring some new enthusiasts into the fold.

So onto this month's theme: Ruby Reserve Port!

Ruby Port is probably the first Port style that most people are exposed to. Basic versions are cheap, plentiful, and often imitated by wineries outside of Portugal. Often dozens of different red grapes are crushed, macerated on the skins and partially fermented until distilled grape spirit is added to stop the fermentation, to ensure some sugar is left unfermented. Different batches are briefly aged in large, used barrels and blended to a consistent house style. These Ports emphasize fruit and freshness, foregoing the dense tannin/structure and wood aging that accompany other styles. These wines are best drunk young to maximize their strengths.

Now, we are tasting something slightly up the scale from basic Ruby Port, the Ruby Reserve Port. Often for just a few :twocents: more, you can get the best of these vibrant young wines, almost always under $20 in the U.S., and often much cheaper. These Ports are distinct from the basic versions by more fruit, more depth, and better structure, which contribute to a much more interesting and enjoyable experience than the base versions.

A few brands to try include: Taylor "First Estate", Fonseca "Bin 27", Graham "Six Grapes", Cockburn "Special Reserve", Sandeman "Founder's Reserve" and Warre "Warrior Port". Pretty much every maker has a ruby reserve offering, so don't be afraid to ask your local retailer what they recommend or seek out another producer.

And finally, please leave what you tried this month and what you thought of it, with bonus points for sharing on social media using the hashtag #ftlopvirtualtasting and leaving a full note for the FTLOP database.

Thanks and enjoy!
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: May 2016 -- Ruby Reserve Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've got a Noval Black on tap. Probably be a week or so before I get to it but will get a note up when I do. Thanks Brad!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

Cool....I'll include a Fonseca Bin 27 in the next meeting with my port fellows.
Any Port in a storm!
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Pulled out a Taylor First Estate but it turned out to be a duff bottle (probably due to mistreatment in the Texas heat).

Second attempt was the CLA Special Reserve Porto by Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo. Much better!

Link here: NV Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo "CLA Special Reserve" Port
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... hp?t=39578

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Pulled out a Taylor First Estate but it turned out to be a duff bottle (probably due to mistreatment in the Texas heat).

Second attempt was the CLA Special Reserve Porto by Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo. Much better!

Link here: NV Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo "CLA Special Reserve" Port
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... hp?t=39578

How much did the CLA cost?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Had a discount, but was $25.99 on the shelf. Not on the cheaper side of ruby reserves.

-Brad

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Had a discount, but was $25.99 on the shelf. Not on the cheaper side of ruby reserves.

:shock: :shock:
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Bradley Bogdan wrote:Had a discount, but was $25.99 on the shelf. Not on the cheaper side of ruby reserves.

:shock: :shock:
Yeah, when I first saw it, I assumed it was an LBV by the price. Definitely wouldn't have bought it at list price.
-Brad

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've got my Noval Black opened and in the glass. Nice fruit, much less spirit than in previous bottles. I've not had this in a long time so I assume this is a new blend and it is much more approachable in a pop-n-pour setting. Moderate tannins, juicy black berries, and a lingering finish. At $14 per at my local Trader Joe's this makes a great daily drinker.
87 Points
John M.

Post by John M. »

Andy Velebil wrote:I've got my Noval Black opened and in the glass. Nice fruit, much less spirit than in previous bottles. I've not had this in a long time so I assume this is a new blend and it is much more approachable in a pop-n-pour setting. Moderate tannins, juicy black berries, and a lingering finish. At $14 per at my local Trader Joe's this makes a great daily drinker.
87 Points
I had this last weekend at a graduation party. Pop and pour. Took about half an hour to open up. It did not seem as juicy to me and had an abrupt dry finish....just not what I remembered for this wine so perhaps you are right about a different blend. I really enjoyed this and had several glasses over an hour...while not as juicy a tad more interesting in flavor profile. The finish was too dry, though. At a good price point, its a good QPR.

87 Points
Any Port in a storm!
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Opened a Fonseca Bin 27 tonight for a game night. Showing well, though I don't think I'll have time to note it. More substantial tannins than some other Ruby Reserves I can recall, which I enjoy, though is turning off a few of the non-Wine folks trying it out.

-Brad

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:I've got my Noval Black opened and in the glass. Nice fruit, much less spirit than in previous bottles. I've not had this in a long time so I assume this is a new blend and it is much more approachable in a pop-n-pour setting. Moderate tannins, juicy black berries, and a lingering finish. At $14 per at my local Trader Joe's this makes a great daily drinker.
87 Points
I had this last weekend at a graduation party. Pop and pour. Took about half an hour to open up. It did not seem as juicy to me and had an abrupt dry finish....just not what I remembered for this wine so perhaps you are right about a different blend. I really enjoyed this and had several glasses over an hour...while not as juicy a tad more interesting in flavor profile. The finish was too dry, though. At a good price point, its a good QPR.

87 Points
Black has really come down in price around my area. When it first came out it was round the $19-20 mark IIRC. I can now generally find it for the $14-15 mark which is the perfect price point for it IMO.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

One last one for May before the new theme tomorrow! Image

Sandeman Founders Reserve if you can't see the picture.

-Brad

Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

how frustrating that i missed this Virtual Tasting since Reserves are what i can afford [and PA seems to snub LBVs].
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Scheiny S wrote:how frustrating that i missed this Virtual Tasting since Reserves are what i can afford [and PA seems to snub LBVs].
Feel free to add in a TN late. Better late than never [cheers.gif]
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Should we do a Virtual Tasting for December 2016?

My suggestion is any Graham's Port?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:Should we do a Virtual Tasting for December 2016?

My suggestion is any Graham's Port?
Sure, lead the charge and get a thread going so we can all :winebath: [cheers.gif]
John M.

Post by John M. »

I like any Grahams...could be VP, LBV, Tawny.
Any Port in a storm!