June 2016 -- Reserve Tawny Ports

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bradley Bogdan

June 2016 -- Reserve Tawny Ports

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Hey all,

A little while back, I spoke with Roy about making regular topics here and reviving the wonderful communal experience it can provide.

For folks that are new to the site or aren't familiar with the concept, we'll be choosing a theme each month. They'll generally be ones that can be found by folks in most places and are affordable for folks of any experience level and income. I'll kick off each month with a short blurb on what the theme is, what people can expect from it, and some suggestions on brands/bottlings that should be fairly easy to find and representative. I encourage everyone to try one or more Ports in the theme and leave their thoughts here, even if they don't want to leave a full note for the database. There's no wrong impressions, so don't be nervous.

I'll be using the #ftlopvirtualtasting on my twitter and facebook (and I guess I still need to get an instagram as well, haha) to see if we can encourage some new people to come and participate with us in the monthly theme. I encourage everyone to share a photo or post their thoughts on the Port on their favorite social media platform and help me bring some new enthusiasts into the fold.

So onto this month's theme: Reserve Tawny Port!

Since we did Reserve Ruby Ports last month, I figured we could try out the equivalent in tawnies this month!

Tawny Port is the general term for wood aged ports, ie ports that spent almost their entire life in wood instead of ruby Ports, which spend a short time in wood before spending most of their life in bottle. Basic versions are cheap, plentiful, and often imitated by wineries outside of Portugal. Often dozens of different red grapes are crushed, macerated on the skins and partially fermented until distilled grape spirit is added to stop the fermentation, to ensure some sugar is left unfermented. Different batches are aged in large, used barrels and blended to a consistent house style. The wines spend roughly 5-10 years in barrel before blending, depending on producer and style. These Ports emphasize nuts, dried fruits and freshness, foregoing the dense tannin/structure and fresh berry fruit that accompany other styles. These wines are best drunk young to maximize their strengths.

Now, we are tasting something slightly up the scale from basic Tawny Port, the Reserve Tawny Port. Often for just a few :twocents: more, you can get the best of these fresh, wood aged wines, usually $20 - $25 in the U.S., and often cheaper in Europe. These Ports are distinct from the basic versions by more intensity of flavor, more depth, and better acid, which contribute to a much more interesting and enjoyable experience than the base versions. These wines roughly slot in between basic tawnies and 10 year labelled tawnies, though quality of some houses' reserve tawny can certainly put them ahead of some 10 year tawnies.

A few brands to try include: Dow "Boardroom Reserve", Kopke "Reserve Tawny", Croft "Reserve Tawny", Cockburn "Special Reserve", Calem "Special Reserve Tawny" and Barao de Vilar "Reserve Tawny". Not every shipper has a reserve tawny offering, but most of the big names do, so don't be afraid to ask your local retailer what they recommend or seek out another producer. This is a great opportunity to try the category out for the first time, or if you're an experienced Port drinker, an opportunity to try out a new shipper and to share your thoughts.

And finally, please leave what you tried this month and what you thought of it, with bonus points for sharing on social media using the hashtag #ftlopvirtualtasting and leaving a full note for the FTLOP database.

Thanks and enjoy! :winepour:
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: June 2016 -- Reserve Tawny Ports

Post by Andy Velebil »

Good topic, not had a Reserve Tawny in a LONG time.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I've actually only ever had one, so the Dow Boardroom Reserve I just picked up will be doubling my experience! Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Just tried the Dow Boardroom Reserve, not very impressed, if I'm honest.

-Brad

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'm having a hard time finding a Reserve Tawny around me. Lots of ruby reserves but no tawny's. Will keep looking
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Yeah, a couple friends other places have said the same. I may have picked a dud in just my second month! Haha.

-Brad

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Yeah, a couple friends other places have said the same. I may have picked a dud in just my second month! Haha.

Weird that there aren't too many around. Then again I never really looked or bought them so didn't pay attention till now.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'm a little late but finally found a bottle....

NV Quinta das Carvalhas Reserva Tawny Port by Real Companhia Velha. Cost was $20 (could have been $18 if I bought six or more bottles of something).

A dark tea color. The nose has lots of fig paste and licorice. The palate is mid-weight with enough acidity to keep it fresh. Molasses, dried figs, honey, and licorice on the palate. Still just a tiny touch of tannins still noticeable, but not distracting. The finish, while not terribly complex, was similar to the palate and lasted a fair amount of time. Overall, this is a nice Reserve Tawny. One I'd enjoy sipping anytime and one that would make a well priced house tawny.
88 Points
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Just tried the Dow Boardroom Reserve, not very impressed, if I'm honest.
i got it a couple years ago. after trying it i used the rest of the bottle to make a syrup for waffles.
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

late to the party, but late is better than never. i also posted this in the TN subforum.

Quevedo Special Reserve Tawny
88 points

I used John M.'s template from the Tasting Note/Score Structure thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39225

Color: maroon
Rim: tawny
Clarity: clear

Body: light

Nose: caramel, grape, blackberry

Taste: blackberry, grape, caramel

Mouthfeel:
-Acidity: medium
-Tannins: medium
-Sweetness Type: early. tasted like simple syrup
-Finish: moderate

A category we added to this template was how 'hot' or apparent was the alcohol.
The alcohol isn't apparent until the end, it's not very hot.

Conclusion: I like caramel a lot, so that's very appealing to me. The acidity helps balance it. But it is sweet enough that I wouldn't want more than two glasses in a row.
Would I drink this again? Yes
Would I buy it again? Yes, especially as a change from Rubies.
Rating: 88
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Dow's Boardroom Reserve Tawny

one of only a few Ports i didn't like. it was very light bodied and very sweet, with no particular flavors i picked out. i used the rest of the bottle a few ounces at a time with butter and sugar to make syrup for rumcake or waffles rather than drinking it.

i had this two years ago, before i had read a Tasting Note or asked for tips on writing one, so these impressions are the best i've got but i wanted to add them.
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

a friend surprised me yesterday with Croft Reserve Tawny, so here are my impressions! it's my first Croft.
tasted on 1/28/17

This was a beautiful reddish rust color in the glass, totally clear. It smelled similar to brandy. It was light bodied. I couldn't identify any particular fruits or flavors other than slight rancio like Sherry but, being used to Rubies, i could taste the oak, so I guess it was lightly tannic? There was very little acidity and the sweetness didn't hit until the very end and lasted through the short finish. It was very smooth and pleasant to drink, I almost could have forgotten it was alcoholic.
this was my first Port whose sweetness didn't show until the end of the sip, i like that or when it hits mid-palette. it makes it interesting. i have to emphasize how smooth this was.

Would I drink this again? Yes
Would I buy it again? Yes, especially as a change from Rubies.
Rating: 89