August 2016 - Port cocktails!

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bradley Bogdan

August 2016 - Port cocktails!

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Hey all,

A little while back, I spoke with Roy about making regular topics here and reviving the wonderful communal experience it can provide.

For folks that are new to the site or aren't familiar with the concept, we'll be choosing a theme each month. They'll generally be ones that can be found by folks in most places and are affordable for folks of any experience level and income. I'll kick off each month with a short blurb on what the theme is, what people can expect from it, and some suggestions on brands/bottlings that should be fairly easy to find and representative. I encourage everyone to try one or more Ports in the theme and leave their thoughts here, even if they don't want to leave a full note for the database. There's no wrong impressions, so don't be nervous.

I'll be using the #ftlopvirtualtasting on my twitter and facebook to see if we can encourage some new people to come and participate with us in the monthly theme. I encourage everyone to share a photo or post their thoughts on the Port on their favorite social media platform and help me bring some new enthusiasts into the fold.

So onto this month's theme: Port based cocktails!

Every summer it seems, the folks on the forum here inevitably complain about how the warm weather in some parts makes drinking tannic monstrosities, such as some ruby Ports, a difficult proposition. What also invariably happens is that someone points out that the warm weather makes it high time for some of the best Port based cocktails! Whatever your preference for tipples, be it sweet, rather dry, savory, fruity or whatever else, you can find it in a good Port cocktail. The one that garners the most attention, and is a staple in the Douro in warm weather, is the simple "White Port and Tonic." I've appended the basic recipe below. It should be plenty refreshing to any warm climate aficionado looking for something to cool down with.

What Ports work best for cocktails? Generally high quality, but not usually complex, Ports are best. This would include white Ports such as Taylor's Fine White Port, Fonseca Siroco White Port, or other major producer whites under $20-$30. For ruby Ports, any good quality Ruby Reserve, such as Warre's Warrior Port, Graham's Six Grapes, or any other favorite will do. If your recipe calls for Tawny, it will likely specify how old it should be, sometimes calling for things as old as a 20 year blend, but generally quality producer 10 year tawnies such as Warre's Otima and Sandeman's 10 year, for instance, will do just fine.

If you're looking for something other than the classic White Port and Tonic, there's a world of possibilities! Feel free to search the forum or web for ideas in the realms of Punch, Gimlets, Margaritas, Herbal based drinks, and many others!

And finally, please leave what you tried this month (and a recipe!) and what you thought of it, with bonus points for sharing on social media using the hashtag #ftlopvirtualtasting and leaving a full note for the FTLOP database.

Thanks and enjoy! :winepour:

White Port and Tonic:

Ingredients:
Ice as needed
1/4 cup white port
6 Tbs. tonic water
Lemon or lime wedge for garnish

Directions:
Fill a double old-fashioned glass with ice. Add the white port, top with the tonic water and stir to mix. Garnish with a lime wedge and serve immediately, with a swizzle stick, if desired. Serves 1.

This is the signature cocktail at the vineyards of Taylor Fladgate in Portugal, where the drink is called the “Chip and tonic,” after the winery’s classic white port, Chip Dry. It’s very light and refreshing, particularly in summer. Try this drink with a little spread of Iberian appetizers, like boquerones (marinated white anchovies), Marcona almonds, and grilled cipolline (small, flat onions) and fennel.

Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking for Friends, by Alison Attenborough and Jamie Kimm (Oxmoor House, 2008).
-Brad

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: August 2016 - Port cocktails!

Post by Glenn E. »

Lindsay and I never came up with a good name for this, but it's something we created in theory after a whiskey tasting and then I tried (with the help of the bartender) at Toulouse Petit in Seattle.

1.5 oz Tawny Port (we used a 30-yr old Sandeman, but that's kind of over-the-top for a mixed drink)
1.5 oz Whiskey (we used an aged Jameson... might have been a 10yr or 12yr?)
1.5 oz Sour (Toulouse Petit house sour, which is made with orange and lemon)
Simple syrup to taste (about 0.5 oz for me)
dash bitters (Toulouse Petit house orange bitters)

Serve in a lowball over ice.

I've never tried it with Scotch because I'm not fond of Scotch, but if you like peat or smoke in your drinks it might work for you. Bourbon might also work, but I suspect its flavors are too strong. (The flavor profiles of Irish Whiskey and Bourbon are similar, but Irish Whiskey is more refined and less in-your-face.)
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Well, I was wondering about recipes for 20 year old tawny, as that's my daily drinker right now. I'll still take ideas, but thought I would share this google find:
http://portcocktails.com/cocktails.html
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I found a list of some different cocktails.
http://www.senhoradoconvento.com/port-personality/
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

So I started simple, with a 20 Year Old Port-tonic:
20yearTonic.jpg
20yearTonic.jpg (66.07 KiB) Viewed 6995 times
I started with an unopened bottle of the Duque. Removing the capsule revealed a bunch of gunk, making this bottle the worse condition yet out of a near case I purchased. (I think I opened three prior.) But hey, I was still going to try it and it was going into a cocktail. I added a bit of slightly muddled mint along with the Port and tonic. I think the gunk translated into a little bottle funk, as the cocktail had a little bit of a rustic character, which reminded me a little of a Bourbon drink. But that wasn't too distracting and I still enjoyed this. I made another a few nights later which was better. I skipped the mint and the bottle stink seemed to be reduced. It was quite nice sitting on the front porch on a warm evening. I still say, however, that I didn't stir this up too much, leaving a higher concentration of Port at the bottom of the glass, and I think that made it better as I continued to drink it.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

My wife went with a "Cardicas"

2oz gin
1.25oz white Port
Dash orange or Peychauds bitters

Shake with ice, strain into martini glass, add twist of lemon

We used Bluecoat Gin and St. George "Botanivore" Gin, Dow "Fine" White Port and Peychauds.

The St. George seemed to play better as a less assertive, more floral gin, blending nicely with the lanolin and citrus of the port and twist. A nice, classy cocktail for summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

Eric Menchen wrote:So I started simple, with a 20 Year Old Port-tonic:
20yearTonic.jpg
I started with an unopened bottle of the Duque. Removing the capsule revealed a bunch of gunk, making this bottle the worse condition yet out of a near case I purchased. (I think I opened three prior.) But hey, I was still going to try it and it was going into a cocktail. I added a bit of slightly muddled mint along with the Port and tonic. I think the gunk translated into a little bottle funk, as the cocktail had a little bit of a rustic character, which reminded me a little of a Bourbon drink. But that wasn't too distracting and I still enjoyed this. I made another a few nights later which was better. I skipped the mint and the bottle stink seemed to be reduced. It was quite nice sitting on the front porch on a warm evening. I still say, however, that I didn't stir this up too much, leaving a higher concentration of Port at the bottom of the glass, and I think that made it better as I continued to drink it.
Eric, next time increase the concentration even more by eliminating the tonic completely, and it might be perfect! [foilhat.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Steve Pollack wrote:Eric, next time increase the concentration even more by eliminating the tonic completely, and it might be perfect! [foilhat.gif]
:lol: I might need to cut back on the ice a little too.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

After opening my birthday bottle this year - a 1964 Krohn Colheita Branco - I had the idea of trying white port with black tea. Sort of like an Arnold Palmer, but with Port instead of lemonade.

I haven't tried it yet, but the next time I make tea I'll reserve enough out to give it a try before a sweeten the tea. :)
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Glenn E. wrote:After opening my birthday bottle this year - a 1964 Krohn Colheita Branco - I had the idea of trying white port with black tea. Sort of like an Arnold Palmer, but with Port instead of lemonade.

I haven't tried it yet, but the next time I make tea I'll reserve enough out to give it a try before a sweeten the tea. :)
That sounds like a fun idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

It totally works!

I used Twinings Prince of Wales, which is a fairly mild black tea, and some leftover 1964 Krohn Colheita Branco. 1:1 works well for those two, but with a stronger black tea you might want more Port. Conversely with a lower-end (sweeter) white Port, you might want less Port. With Chip Dry or Scirocco (drier styles) you'd want more of course.

Give it a try!
Glenn Elliott